TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-02-2015, 03:38 AM   #1
notyou

Tivo Premiere Glitching (everywhere, not just playback)

Hi -- recently my Tivo Premiere has been glitching -- not during playback. In the menus. In the guide. Everywhere. It seems like a bad connection, but I've switched out the HDMI cable and tried other HDMI ports on this TV.

Other HDMI sources (Apple TV, Chromecast) in the same HDMI port look fine, so I'm fairly confident it's not the TV.

I've restarted the box.

I recorded a very short video of the symptoms. I would appreciate knowing if this is something that can be fixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za-tREpzZ-w

Thanks!!

notyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:17 AM   #2
notyou

Ugh, looks like I'll be buying some component cables and trying those tomorrow. (Two sets of standard red-white-yellow RCA cables didn't work, although shouldn't the audio be coming through? I suppose if it doesn't sense video it doesn't pass-through audio.)

Man, I live in San Jose. Seems like somebody around here oughtta be able to repair a bad HDMI port. (I don't trust my own soldering/reflowing skills.)

Old 01-02-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
squint

It doesn't really behave like a bad HDMI port. I have a Series 3 with a bad HDMI port and it started by losing the signal altogether. The TV didn't detect the TiVo at all. It would sometimes return if I jiggled the cable but over time not even that would help. It never gave me a distorted signal. It was either gave me a picture that looked fine or nothing at all.

After you try the component cables, the next step is to open it up, check the power supply for any obviously damaged capacitors, make sure the heatsinks are clean, and remove the hard drive and run the manufacturer's most thorough diagnostic test.

squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:19 PM   #4
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyou View Post
Hi -- recently my Tivo Premiere has been glitching -- not during playback. In the menus. In the guide. Everywhere. It seems like a bad connection, but I've switched out the HDMI cable and tried other HDMI ports on this TV.

Other HDMI sources (Apple TV, Chromecast) in the same HDMI port look fine, so I'm fairly confident it's not the TV.

I've restarted the box.

I recorded a very short video of the symptoms. I would appreciate knowing if this is something that can be fixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za-tREpzZ-w

Thanks!!
Looks more like a bad connection, it's the HDMI port connection to the TiVo loose?

----
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB+w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #5
notyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
It doesn't really behave like a bad HDMI port. I have a Series 3 with a bad HDMI port and it started by losing the signal altogether. The TV didn't detect the TiVo at all. It would sometimes return if I jiggled the cable but over time not even that would help. It never gave me a distorted signal. It was either gave me a picture that looked fine or nothing at all.

After you try the component cables, the next step is to open it up, check the power supply for any obviously damaged capacitors, make sure the heatsinks are clean, and remove the hard drive and run the manufacturer's most thorough diagnostic test.
Ah, it is close to the floor. A very dusty floor. Let me vacuum it out.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:17 PM   #6
notyou

Shoot - vacuuming didn't help. I couldn't see any obviously blown caps. I should've noted that during the "Starting up - please wait" (TV shows 480i) is crystal clear. I don't know if that means much. HD encoder on the fritz? *Sigh*

Old 01-02-2015, 04:13 PM   #7
squint

Next best step is probably to put the HDD in a PC and run the manufacturer's (likely Western Digital) most rigorous diagnostic (Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows - extended test).

The Series 3 boot/welcome screen is stored in flash memory rather than the hard drive. If it's the same case for the Premiere (Series 4) then an ailing hard drive could explain why the welcome screen is OK but any video after that is not.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:55 PM   #8
notyou

Hm. What's weird is that this glitching happens with menus, when the video window is hidden. And it isn't showing up on composite video. But it does show up with component.

So I'm not convinced that it's a hard drive issue. It seems to me that a hard drive failure would manifest itself regardless of HD vs Composite Out. Also, it seems like it wouldn't happen in the menus w/ no video playing. (Although I acknowledge that the device is always recording in the background, so it's not like the drives are idle.)

Oh, another note -- when I play shows recorded (since this problem has started) on this Tivo from another Premiere in the house, or on my iPad over Tivo Stream, it looks fine.

I've created a new video of just the menu glitching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MxQpkb4NMc

I submitted a ticket to Tivo. But ugh, they're unable to look at YouTube videos. We'll see if my photos go through. Or if my description is clear enough.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:41 AM   #9
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyou View Post
Hm. What's weird is that this glitching happens with menus, when the video window is hidden. And it isn't showing up on composite video. But it does show up with component.

So I'm not convinced that it's a hard drive issue. It seems to me that a hard drive failure would manifest itself regardless of HD vs Composite Out. Also, it seems like it wouldn't happen in the menus w/ no video playing. (Although I acknowledge that the device is always recording in the background, so it's not like the drives are idle.)

Oh, another note -- when I play shows recorded (since this problem has started) on this Tivo from another Premiere in the house, or on my iPad over Tivo Stream, it looks fine.

I've created a new video of just the menu glitching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MxQpkb4NMc

I submitted a ticket to Tivo. But ugh, they're unable to look at YouTube videos. We'll see if my photos go through. Or if my description is clear enough.
Email Margret at Margret@tivo.com she can look at Youtube videos, she has for me many times in the past.

MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #10
squint

It is beginning to sound like a problem with one of the processors, having eliminated most of the potential problems that you could fix by yourself.

I did experience weird video behavior on some Series 3 that went away only after I re-imaged the drive.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:09 PM   #11
notyou

Crud, forgot to follow up here. After a bunch of troubleshooting, including swapping out the TV, eventually figured out my Vizio E390i-A1 can't display 1080i anymore.

Weirdly enough 720p and 1080p have no issues, so I just set my Tivo to sent 720p and it's fine. (It's only a 39" TV in our bedroom, so I'm not really missing the additional resolution.)