TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
smeg36

Stack PS3 on top of Roamio?

I just upgraded my Premiere to a Roamio, which is in an open air rack. Previously, I had my PS3 Slim on top of the Premiere. I had read that stacking things on top of the Premiere was fine, and I never had any heat problems. The new Roamio is a different shape, slightly rounded on top, making the PS3 less steady. I'm concerned that the new shape means I shouldn't be putting anything on top of it, but can't really find anything anywhere saying if I should or not. Rearranging the PS3 or Roamio to a different spot on the rack would be cumbersome with the cabling, but preferable to causing either the PS3 or Roamio to overheat. Should I go through the hassle, or is it fine to keep my PS3 on top of the Roamio?
smeg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:00 PM   #2
caughey

I might be more concerned about the stability of the PS3--how wobbly is it?

I think the basic Roamio has an external power supply plus less electronics in the box, so it shouldn't have heat issues even with the smaller box. As always, keep the vents clear. If you're worried, the TiVo will tell you its internal temp--it's called MBT in the System Information screen. Mine is a comfortable 37 degrees with the PS3 slim on top (I think my HD was around 42C). It's a cool evening (there's a storm a coming). I've never had any issues I could attribute to overheating with either TiVo or PS3.

Here's a short thread with some other temps: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=509064
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:39 PM   #3
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

You could always add some feet to level it off/make it stable.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
smeg36

It's not terribly unstable, I'm not concerned about it or anything. My only concern was the heat, and if it was advised to not put anything on top. Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
gfgray

I stacked my old bulky PS3 on top of my Roamio Basic and left the PS3 powered on with a blu-ray disc in it. I think it went a couple days without issue. Then I got no video no sound on channels or on recordings when I got home. I think that meant it couldn't access the HD (3TB WD AV-GP). Cold booting the Tivo solved the issue. This happened 2 times in 2 days. I put the Tivo back on top of the old PS3 and it did the same thing on day 3. But since then it is running fine. I recommend against doing anything that will increase heat or prevent good ventilation.

HD Smart diagnostics came back OK. Is there an easy way to access the logs to see if any events are shown for those days?
gfgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #6
smeg36

Thanks for the info. I ended up moving my equipment around so the weren't stacked. It was annoying, but less so than having the ps3 or tivo act up.