TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
Austin Bike

Channel problem (v52)

We just moved to a temporary house for 3 months while we are remodeling. We have standard cable (Time Warner) and no cable card.

For some reason we don't get CNBC, which is my wife's favorite channel. I did a channel scan and found an additional 300 or so channels, most of which are blank.

We get the channel right above and below CNBC, but on that channel we get v52 error.

Calling to get a cable card is a complicated process because we are not the people on the account.

Anybody know a listing of alternate channels that we can try or a way around this? I am going to call time warner, but I fear that because it works on their box and not on tivo that I am just going to get grief from them.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
tatergator1

It's likely that that channel has been moved to digital only on your TWC system. Since you're using the Premiere (I assume) without CableCard, you're getting the Analog versions of the standard cable channels. These analog versions take up significant bandwidth on the coax, and over the last 5-10 years, TWC has been occasionally moving the lesser-watched standard cable channels to be only digital, thereby freeing up space to add other Digital programming.

As for the channel scan, TWC encrypts everything but the local broadcast networks and a few things like C-Span. The 300+ channels are identified as having an active signal during a channel scan, but without the CableCard, the Tivo can't decode the encryption and display them.

Unfortunately, there's no way to get that channel without a CableCard or a TWC box.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
Austin Bike

According to the guide, 71 is CNBC (SD) and I can get it with their box, so it has not been moved.

If you look at their standard channel list, it is shown there as well.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
According to the guide, 71 is CNBC (SD) and I can get it with their box, so it has not been moved.

If you look at their standard channel list, it is shown there as well.
What region are you in? In my TWC region, channels 73, 74, and 76 are digital only. TWC provides a PDF of the channel lineup that is color coded with notes that will identify channels in the Analog range which are actually digital only.

I could be wrong, but it's most likely digital only, even though is has a channel number in the analog range.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #5
Austin Bike

We are in Austin. According to this: http://www.timewarnercable.com/texas...true&cluid=231 channel 71 is part of the standard package. Just like 70 and 72.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #6
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
We are in Austin. According to this: http://www.timewarnercable.com/texas...true&cluid=231 channel 71 is part of the standard package. Just like 70 and 72.
If you look at PDF there is a little up arrow to the right of that channel, and the key for that symbol is:
Quote:
Digital Standard Channels — Digital set-top box or CableCARD-equipped Unidirectional Digital Cable Product (UDCP) will be required.
So, it's digital => cablecard needed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
Austin Bike

Thanks! your eyesight is better than mine.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:51 AM   #8
telemark

Something still does not add up. Channel 70 and 72 also have that symbol next to them, but decodes fine.

I would tune to 70 and 72 on the Tivo and check the Diagnostics screen. That will tell you how you're decoding them.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #9
Austin Bike

A cable card and tuning adapter fixed the problem. But that also included a 3.5 hour install after they did not provision the account properly when I picked up the "self install" kit. Nothing is worse than hearing a tech say "well I've never worked on a Tivo before, I guess this is as good a time as any to learn." At least he stuck through it all.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:26 AM   #10
telemark

Ignorance translates to determination, since they're under the misconception that it is suppose to work.

There's a couple of online brokers that offer streaming CNBC, btw. I'm starting to prefer Bloomberg TV myself.

Congrats in any case.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #11
Austin Bike

Well it's all working, and this is only a rental house for a few months, so we should be OK for now. TWC also has an ipad app and we can watch it there in a pinch.