TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
robla64

Free upgrade email from Tivo

Today I received an email from TiVo saying they will be upgrading my series 3 to a premiere. They said a recent upgrade that will mess up some features now or in the near future was the reason.
It must have something to do with Netflix moving all devices to HTML 5.
I'll be calling in the morning.

Last edited by robla64 : 03-01-2014 at 10:24 PM.
robla64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
ic316

I got the same email

Here is the text:

"Dear Valued TiVo Customer,

Your Series3 TiVo DVR has been impacted by a recent software update, which may prevent you from accessing certain channels and web videos as well as DVR Expander capabilities. Even if you're not experiencing the problem right now, it may impact you in the near future. To ensure you continue to receive outstanding TiVo service, we will replace your DVR free of charge and transfer your current TiVo service to a new TiVo Premiere or Premiere 4 DVR.

Please call TiVo Customer Support at 877-777-9017 and choose Technical Support today. Support is available Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, and Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm (Pacific Time).

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to correcting the situation as soon as possible. Thank you.

TiVo Customer Support"

Wondering If I could try to swing this for a roamio.
ic316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
dulipishi

I got this email too - and I have been fighting with verizon fios about how their cablecards are not working as I don't get anything other than the basic HD channels. After a week of aggravation, I get this email!

They will give Premiere for free or Roamio ($99) or Roamio + ($199) and transfer my lifetime service for free.

I am not sure which one to choose. The whole mess is frustrating (and not to say, a little suspicious as my tivo3 lifetime service more than paid for itself).
dulipishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:47 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic316 View Post
Here is the text:

"Dear Valued TiVo Customer,

Your Series3 TiVo DVR has been impacted by a recent software update, which may prevent you from accessing certain channels and web videos as well as DVR Expander capabilities. Even if you're not experiencing the problem right now, it may impact you in the near future. To ensure you continue to receive outstanding TiVo service, we will replace your DVR free of charge and transfer your current TiVo service to a new TiVo Premiere or Premiere 4 DVR.

Please call TiVo Customer Support at 877-777-9017 and choose Technical Support today. Support is available Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, and Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm (Pacific Time).

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to correcting the situation as soon as possible. Thank you.

TiVo Customer Support"

Wondering If I could try to swing this for a roamio.

Check and see if you got "upgraded" to 11.3

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=515001

If so, this looks like an admission that it's going to be very hard for them to undo that.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:16 AM   #5
teasip

Wish they'd break mine. I'd love that upgrade deal. Unfortunately, I'm still correctly at 11.0m.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:28 AM   #6
HerronScott

This sounds more like it's related to H.264 upgrades by the cable provider?

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #7
srjtr7

Very interesting.... I was the one who started the other thread about the issue....and made support aware of the issue and that it was their fault and I have not received an email.
1- Series 4- 4 tuner on the way

Sitting collecting dust-----
Tivo Series 2
2- Direct Tivo Series 2 Hughes
srjtr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
rundfc

Ditto

I got an email as well...

I am strictly OTA. I have to go with basic Roamio in order to stay OTA.

I also have issues with HDMI on my TV. I have to get the adapter for component video..
rundfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
bshea

Same issue here. The 11.3 update made it so I couldn't tune any channels other than the 'basic cable' ones. I'm glad I noticed the email from TiVo on this, as I've spent several hours on the phone with Verizon FiOS tech support since last weekend trying to figure out what was going on, and am on cablecard #3 (!).

Went with the Roamio + incl. service transfer for $200.
bshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
thalador

Same as bshea. I was looking at the Roamio since it came out but didn't want to shell out another $299-399 for lifetime. With the transfer it was a no brainer.
thalador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
waynomo
My One Time

Which service are they transferring? Monthly or lifetime?
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #12
rundfc

Ditto

In my situation; I have a lifetime that they will be transferring for free.

Not a bad deal all-in-all
Old 03-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #13
dhoward

Is this going to effect all Series 3 owners? Ours is still at Version 11. Did Tivo stop the update?
dhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #14
rundfc

Ditto

Research on the boards suggests that only the units that got the bad upgrade [11.3b7] are the only ones affected.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #15
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Bummer, my Series 3 is still showing 11.0, so I guess I don't get a free Tivo with lifetime.

?Are they doing it with the TCD648250B too.? My friend has one of those, but I don't think any email address is connected with it. I guess I should check to see if it has the new update, then get her a account, and put it on her account, so she will get emails.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #16
dulipishi

According to tivo tech support, there should not be a service transfer fee. They will be applied to the account and then waived. You might want to make sure that is the case for you as well.
dulipishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #17
robla64

I called today and was able to get my lifetime transferred to the Roamio Pro for 199.
I almost bought a roamio at the end of January when they had an offer for advisors survey members....so I guess I lucked out.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #18
teasip

Had they bricked one of yours or did you call and just ask for a lifetime transfer based on the issues others were having? If you just called and asked then it might be Roamio time at my house (doubt this was the case)!
Old 03-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #19
robla64

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasip View Post
Had they bricked one of yours or did you call and just ask for a lifetime transfer based on the issues others were having? If you just called and asked then it might be Roamio time at my house (doubt this was the case)!
It wasnt totally bricked yet, but Netfix wasnt working and channels were missing
Old 03-03-2014, 04:47 AM   #20
canbonbon

Hello All, I am Series 3 HD owner with Lifetime support (purchased in Jan 2011 for $99). I got the email on Friday and I called back on Sunday. Since I am an OTA user on Series 3, all the VOD apps are actually broken on my TIVO after the update. That did not bother me much however, in addition, some of the recorded programs may or may not record e.g. yesterday Red Carpet was recorded but Main Oscar did not. Even though both were on the To Do List. So I had to call them for the replacement.

Anyway, so I called them to avail the offer. He said since I *need* OTA, they can only offer me a Premiere (Premiere4 is offered to those who do not need OTA). Alternatively he also offered Roamio basic for $99 (once again Roamio plus, etc. do not apply for OTA). He said the life time coverage will be transferred automatically and I would need to return the TIVO HD with in 30 days of receiving the new TIVO (He later sent me a UPS return shipping label). After much deliberation, he also offered *free* slider remote if I were to take Roamio instead of the Premiere. Since the slider itself is $50, I took the Roamio offer (and shelled out another $99 to Tivo enterprise). Although I should never say never, but I think this is my last payment to this company.

Just for kicks I solicited his recommendation and he said that Premiere is at its end of life and would not be supported soon. So my best bet is to get on board the Roamio bandwagon as it will be supported for another 4 yrs. Oh well....

Some other notes for what its worth: He mentioned that since my lifetime was converted as part of $99 promotion in Jan of 2011, I am still under the 36 month program for hardware replacement. That is why they sent the email to me for the hardware replacement. (This may or may not explain why only a few folks got the email and not everyone). However, it could be an opinion of a (often uninformed) CSR so I would not take it for granted. If you have a Series 3, you should simply call them asking them for a replacement and see where it goes.

Last edited by canbonbon : 03-03-2014 at 07:32 AM. Reason: typo
canbonbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:09 AM   #21
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbonbon View Post
Some other notes for what its worth: He mentioned that since my lifetime was converted as part of $99 promotion in Jan of 2011, I am still under the 36 month program for hardware replacement. That is why they sent the email to me for the hardware replacement. (This may or may not explain why only a few folks got the email and not everyone). However, it could be an opinion of a (often uninformed) CSR so I would not take it for granted. If you have a Series 3, you should simply call them asking them for a replacement and see where it goes.
That would be a waste of time. TiVo can see in their logs what software version any particular Tivo has, so if you call them hoping to get your DVR replaced, you better make sure you have the offending version of software on your DVR.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:34 AM   #22
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbonbon View Post
Although I should never say never, but I think this is my last payment to this company.
Due to the high praise for the Roamio, many are thinking that their Roamio is their last tivo box purchase for a long time, if ever....
Old 03-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #23
srjtr7

Tivo Executive team just helped me get new boxes.

Tivo Series 2
Old 03-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #24
davemcs

Tivo (S3) HD is being replaced by a Premiere 4. Called Saturday night and new unit is all ready on the way. Kudos to Tivo!!
davemcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #25
unitron

"Some other notes for what its worth: He mentioned that since my lifetime was converted as part of $99 promotion in Jan of 2011, I am still under the 36 month program for hardware replacement."

So if they sent out the mistaken update and broke someone's TiVo who was no longer inside the 36 month window, those people would just be out of luck?

Sounds like a good way to get hit with a class action suit.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #26
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Due to the high praise for the Roamio, many are thinking that their Roamio is their last tivo box purchase for a long time, if ever....
Okay, is this statement on the level or are you being sarcastic? I haven't been here in a while (everything has been working flawlessly), so I haven't followed the Roamio developments.

The reason I ask is one of my working TiVo HD boxes got updated to this problem code, and TiVo sent me the email about giving me a replacement Premiere box for my broken HD.

The problem is that my TiVo HD boxes work fine (or at least used to) so I don't want to change anything. The other problem is that Premiere boxes had a lot of ongoing teething problems that I'm never sure were fully solved. So I've avoided upgrades and just kept my working boxes.

So what should I do:

1) should I restore my HD to a version of the old software (copied from another HD I have)? Would that fix the problem? Would a straight "dd" copy from a good HD drive, followed by "clear and delete everything" work? Of course I would need to re-pair my CableCARDs.

2) is the Premiere reliable?

3) is the Roamio reliable (not sure if they will allow me to upgrade at extra cost, I haven't called Tivo yet)?
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #27
jrtroo
User

On the level.

I would go with the roamio before a HD, unless the HD was lifetime. It if were, I would do the minimum to fix, get the Roamio, and sell the repaired HD box.

I wish mine were broken!

Last edited by jrtroo : 03-04-2014 at 12:52 PM. Reason: clarify
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #28
srjtr7

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
"Some other notes for what its worth: He mentioned that since my lifetime was converted as part of $99 promotion in Jan of 2011, I am still under the 36 month program for hardware replacement."

So if they sent out the mistaken update and broke someone's TiVo who was no longer inside the 36 month window, those people would just be out of luck?

Sounds like a good way to get hit with a class action suit.
Never got an email and mine are over 3 years old without lifetime on them and got messed up...I am now getting 2 new boxes.

Very happy that Tivo is taking care of this issue.

Tivo Series 2
Old 03-04-2014, 07:35 AM   #29
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
So what should I do:

1) should I restore my HD to a version of the old software (copied from another HD I have)? Would that fix the problem? Would a straight "dd" copy from a good HD drive, followed by "clear and delete everything" work? Of course I would need to re-pair my CableCARDs.

2) is the Premiere reliable?

3) is the Roamio reliable (not sure if they will allow me to upgrade at extra cost, I haven't called Tivo yet)?
1) If you are dead set on keeping the TivoHD, you could do this. I do not see any reason it would not work, I doubt TiVo will make this mistake again.
I would suggest doing a back up and restore using WinMFS or MFSLive and retain the back up copy *just in case*.

2) I think it is mostly reliable, but it is dog slow. If I had a choice, I'd get a Roamio.

3) I don't have a Roamio but many people here will swear by it. If I were one of the affected, I would gladly pay the extra fee to get the Roamio over the Premiere.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:15 AM   #30
thalador

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
2) I think it is mostly reliable, but it is dog slow. If I had a choice, I'd get a Roamio.
This is the main reason I went with the Roamio. My premier has been good but soooo sluggish. It will go in my kids room to replace my HD and the Roamio is all mine!
thalador is offline   Reply With Quote