Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-31-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
The Good Wife - "The Last Call" - 3/30/14

I normally don't go for episodes like this one, but I thought it was really well done. I liked watching the emotional rides that the characters went through, even including David Lee's emotional moment.

I liked how strong Diane was in handling that client meeting. I'm not sure that was realistic that would have been, but I liked seeing her channel her emotions like that.

The final imagining of Will's voice message to Alicia makes me wonder how Alicia is going to deal with the relationship with Will. She was already showing some coolness to Peter.

From the preview:
Spoiler:
The preview makes it pretty clear that there is going to be some lingering impact with Peter from her relationship with Will now that he's dead.

Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
veruca salt
I want it NOW!!

Very good lip quivering by Julianna Marguilies. I just wish she'd drop the whole "he called me and left me a voice mail" thing. I guess it wouldn't make for very good drama though, would it?
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm still loving this show. But then I've been a Julianna Margulies fan since the first episode of ER.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
Cainebj

said it before will say it again - one of the best shows on TV right now - this season in particular has been amazing.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
even including David Lee's emotional moment.
I love Zach Grenier. He plays deliciously evil so well.

That being said, I was taken aback by his moment. As soon as he stormed off I commented to my wife that he was off to plan his hostile takeover. Great writing to surprise me.

Of course he and Diane will be fighting to the death soon enough!

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
I love Zach Grenier. He plays deliciously evil so well.

That being said, I was taken aback by his moment. As soon as he stormed off I commented to my wife that he was off to plan his hostile takeover. Great writing to surprise me.
Who knew that David Lee had a heart?
You do have to give props to Zach Grenier for that scene.

In fact, I think all of the regular actors deserve applause for this episode as I think all of the performances were outstanding.

Margulies of course in her portrayal of Alicia's shock and grief.
(The scene where she discovers Will's voicemail in particular.)

Baranski as well. Diane wanting to grieve but needing to lead as well.

Archie Panjabi in showing Kalinda's grim determination, needing to find out what happened.

Alan Cumming not only when Kalinda tells Eli what happened but his reactions when watching Alicia hear the news.

Even Makenzie Vega when Grace tries to comfort Alica.

But I really have to give props to Matt Czuchry.
He didn't have a lot of screen time in this episode but he was good in displaying shock when Alicia told him the news and he knocked it out of the park when he tore into the opposing lawyer and client.

So not only did you have very good writing in this episode, you had outstanding performances.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
nyny523
Oy

I. Love. This. Show.

This episode was so raw and so real and so perfectly written and beautifully acted.

There were moments where I was literally moved to tears...
Old 04-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
I. Love. This. Show.

This episode was so raw and so real and so perfectly written and beautifully acted.

There were moments where I was literally moved to tears...
My worst moment was the Alicia/Diane hug. Gut-wrenching, real emotion.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:51 AM   #9
RickyL
valar morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Who knew that David Lee had a heart?
You do have to give props to Zach Grenier for that scene.

In fact, I think all of the regular actors deserve applause for this episode as I think all of the performances were outstanding.

Margulies of course in her portrayal of Alicia's shock and grief.
(The scene where she discovers Will's voicemail in particular.)

Baranski as well. Diane wanting to grieve but needing to lead as well.

Archie Panjabi in showing Kalinda's grim determination, needing to find out what happened.

Alan Cumming not only when Kalinda tells Eli what happened but his reactions when watching Alicia hear the news.

Even Makenzie Vega when Grace tries to comfort Alica.

But I really have to give props to Matt Czuchry.
He didn't have a lot of screen time in this episode but he was good in displaying shock when Alicia told him the news and he knocked it out of the park when he tore into the opposing lawyer and client.

So not only did you have very good writing in this episode, you had outstanding performances.
I think he has been outstanding this year. I'd love to see an emmy for him.

"If You chose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush, Freewill
RickyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #10
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyL View Post
I think he has been outstanding this year. I'd love to see an emmy for him.
He's been nominated twice while on The Good Wife but I agree that he deserves a win as he's very talented and deserves recognition.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 04-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #11
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
He's been nominated twice while on The Good Wife but I agree that he deserves a win as he's very talented and deserves recognition.
And for the life of me, I don't know why they never brought him back in any X-Men movies, he was fantastic.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:51 AM   #12
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Awesome episode. So well written, you could actually feel the emotion. I could actually feel like I lost a friend, through those characters. As for the voice mail thing with Will. I totally get that. It's one last chance to hear the voice of someone you loved, and you can imagine just what that message might have been had he had time. I've felt that emotion the first time I heard my father in law's voicemail on his answering machine before my mother in law changed it. You could still feel his presence.

I also loved the scene where Alicia visits the ADA. Great acting by that actor, playing half loopy from the meds and yet lucid enough to realize what happened and why she was there. That can't be easy to portray.

Two scenes I didn't like. Eli reading off the teleprompter just seemed to strange. Maybe they were trying to have him caught off guard by everything, but I never thought that he and Will were close enough for him to be distracted like that. Usually Eli is better off the cuff like that. And I'm not sure what emotion they were trying to give Peter there. He seemed more annoyed than anything.

But those are nitpicks. This was an Emmy winning episode. Much more than last week. To me, The Good Wife's writing is as good as any of the "cable" shows we all laud over. And it has to be done with no bad language or nudity. Much harder to do.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #13
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
And for the life of me, I don't know why they never brought him back in any X-Men movies, he was fantastic.

-smak-
I had no idea that the Night-crawler was him. I had to go back and look at some scenes from X-2 to see.

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #14
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood

As a Josh Charles fan who has not seen the show, I can't imagine a show losing him without losing a lot of its integrity. But a lot of people seem to like it, so I hope they continue to. It's still a really impressive cast with great guest casting.
Lee 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #15
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee 2.0 View Post
As a Josh Charles fan who has not seen the show, I can't imagine a show losing him without losing a lot of its integrity. But a lot of people seem to like it, so I hope they continue to. It's still a really impressive cast with great guest casting.
Well, the show was still entirely about his character, so I think we'll have to wait a little while to see if he is really missed.

-smak-
Old 04-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #16
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Eli reading off the teleprompter just seemed to strange. Maybe they were trying to have him caught off guard by everything, but I never thought that he and Will were close enough for him to be distracted like that. Usually Eli is better off the cuff like that.
I know you said that this was a nitpick but don't forget that Eli joined Lockhart Gardner as an equity partner and worked with Will (and Diane) as a Crisis Manager before he officially started Peter's campaign for Governor.
So I could see Will's sudden death throwing him off.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 04-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #17
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee 2.0 View Post
Quote:
Well, the show was still entirely about his character, so I think we'll have to wait a little while to see if he is really missed.

-smak-
Huh?

"The show was still entirely about his character"? Since when?

The show is called "The Good Wife".

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #18
Agatha Mystery

I wonder why Josh Charles decided to step down from the show. His character was a fun character. Since Good Wife seems like it's going to have a long run, I would have thought that he'd like to stay on such a show.

Oh, and spoiler for another charcter possibly leaving
Spoiler:

Archie Panjabi, the woman who plays Kalinda, is going to do a movie. Since she is quitting Lockhart Gardner, I wonder if it was the actress leaving the show completely.

Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #19
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Huh?

"The show was still entirely about his character"? Since when?

The show is called "The Good Wife".
This last show.

He noted that people liked this last show, so Josh Charles might not be missed as much as he thought, and I said that the entire show was about him, so we'll have to wait...

-smak-
Old 04-04-2014, 02:36 PM   #20
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Oh, I see. You are using show to mean episode. I am going to try this out in an Abbott and Costello way on my family and friends to see how it goes now that I see what you did there.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #21
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Oh, I see. You are using show to mean episode. I am going to try this out in an Abbott and Costello way on my family and friends to see how it goes now that I see what you did there.
What?

Oh wait - What's on second.

I Don't Know is on third...

Will is in the show, but he is dead in the show but he was the entire episode except for the part where he wasn't.

What?

What the hell are you talking about???

THIRD BASE!
Old 04-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #22
Wheens

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
What?

Oh wait - What's on second.

I Don't Know is on third...

THIRD BASE!
Inside baseball.
image001.jpg
Wheens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #23
AeneaGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha Mystery View Post
I wonder why Josh Charles decided to step down from the show. His character was a fun character. Since Good Wife seems like it's going to have a long run, I would have thought that he'd like to stay on such a show.

Oh, and spoiler for another charcter possibly leaving
Spoiler:

Archie Panjabi, the woman who plays Kalinda, is going to do a movie. Since she is quitting Lockhart Gardner, I wonder if it was the actress leaving the show completely.
Since The Good Wife started she's done other stuff too, like The Fall and The Widower, both UK series, both in past 12 months...
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:52 AM   #24
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
This last show.

He noted that people liked this last show, so Josh Charles might not be missed as much as he thought, and I said that the entire show was about him, so we'll have to wait...

-smak-
I thought he was talking about the series, so I thought you were as well.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #25
hummingbird_206

Will/Josh wanted out at the end of last season, but they talked him in to staying for part of this season so that they could come up with an exit. I think they came up with a great way for his character to leave. It was so sudden...and final. The fallout is going to be epic.

I loved it when Diane fired the chick crying her eyes out. Lots of fantastic acting of a great script.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote