Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Orphan Black 4/26/14 "Governed by Sound Reason and True Religion"

Dang, Mrs. S has some nasty in her.

Looks like there is an original, and it isn't Rachel.

Poor Alison, having to suffer her guilt-driven breakdown alone. That should be interesting. Clever of her and Felix to flush out Donnie, though.

The clones all seem to be being driven apart. That can't last, can it? It's too wonderful when they're together.

And why, why, why is Sarah so special? Did Mrs S and her crew know when they sent her on the run? Or was she just the one that Mrs S had at hand? I suspect she knew...

Last week was only pretty good. This week, OB is back at the top of the heap (along with Game of Thrones, which is magnificent in very different ways).
Old 04-26-2014, 10:50 PM   #2
astrohip
Stuart F

I agree, fantastic episode. They know how to make this show fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Looks like there is an original, and it isn't Rachel.
Do we know for sure it's not Rachel? She never said she wasn't, just that the original was robust.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
john4200

How could the original be Rachel? Is she twice as old as she looks? Or are you thinking the clones were made from Rachel when she was a zygote or infant?

What was with that woman that S stabbed through the hands? She sold out to the Proletheans for money? Seems odd, since it did not seem like she was living a lot better than she was when Sarah came through there years ago.

I was expecting S to keep the woman alive so she could talk to the contact (the driver?) to find the Proletheans.

I thought the writers made up that thing about some twins having mirrored organs, but apparently it is a real phenomenon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Situs_i...s#Significance

Last edited by john4200 : 04-26-2014 at 11:03 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:05 AM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Do we know for sure it's not Rachel? She never said she wasn't, just that the original was robust.
She said something like "We need to know why Sarah is different from us." Implying that at least Rachel, Sarah, and Cosima (and presumably Helena) should all be the same (i.e., unable to have children, i.e., not entirely "robust"), but for some unknown reason aren't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
What was with that woman that S stabbed through the hands? She sold out to the Proletheans for money? Seems odd, since it did not seem like she was living a lot better than she was when Sarah came through there years ago.
Two things: First, we don't know how long ago she was paid off; second, she would have had to appear "normal" to Mrs S; and third, she also mentioned religion as a factor, although I suppose that could just mean it was religious people who paid them off, although it didn't really sound like that to me. And fourth, no, I can't count.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
astrohip
Stuart F

Did we see a new clone in this episode? A picture of one we hadn't seen before?

Quote:
She said something like "We need to know why Sarah is different from us." Implying that at least Rachel, Sarah, and Cosima (and presumably Helena) should all be the same (i.e., unable to have children, i.e., not entirely "robust"), but for some unknown reason aren't.
Yeah, that makes sense.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #6
philw1776

So, knowing her husband is her observer will Allison get him dressed in suit & tie for her play and then maneuver him near their garbage disposal?
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:15 AM   #7
Shakhari

Where did they get Sarah's sequenced DNA?
Shakhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
Where did they get Sarah's sequenced DNA?
Since they made the clones in the first place, I would assume they always had it. And behind the scenes, they've now figured out who Sarah is (I would guess the people who smuggled her out faked her death, which is why Max Headroom's response to Sarah's existence was "Who is THIS one?" instead of "Ah, THAT'S what happened to the missing one").
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
So, knowing her husband is her observer will Allison get him dressed in suit & tie for her play and then maneuver him near their garbage disposal?
That may well be the case, now that she's lost all the people who might be able to talk her down from crazy thoughts...

Not literally with the tie and the kitchen, but I wouldn't be surprised if her reaction is extreme and deranged.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #9
cheesesteak
Meh.

Felix cracks me up.

I feel bad for Art. Trying to help Sarah is frustrating and dangerous. I'm surprised he didn't get the number of Sarah's clone phone when Felix brought them.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #10
john4200

Quote:
Two things: First, we don't know how long ago she was paid off; second, she would have had to appear "normal" to Mrs S; and third, she also mentioned religion as a factor, although I suppose that could just mean it was religious people who paid them off, although it didn't really sound like that to me.
It seems unlikely that Brenda contacted S -- much more likely that S contacted her for a safe house. So Brenda would already be living large with her payoff money, and she could have just come up with an excuse for where she got the money (helped a rich person some time back, or a dead relative left a fortune, etc.). Also Brenda, and especially Barry, looked quite well fed, despite her protestations of starving.

Brenda said, "I found God, it turns out the Lord has deep pockets". That does not sound like a person who has recently found Faith and Truth. Besides, Brenda did not know anything about the significance of Kira and Sarah (she obviously did not know Sarah was a clone). So Brenda was selling them out for money, not for religious convictions.

Although I cannot come up with a good explanation for the coincidence of the ultra-secret safe house just happening to be compromised with the Proletheans (or some related religious group) knowing about it. If it was not a coincidence, then it would have to be that the Proletheans somehow tracked S (were they calling her Siobhan?) to the safehouse and only then contacted Brenda to try to get her to betray S. That explanation is not very good, though, since it attributes some really godlike tracking powers to the Proletheans since we know that S has long experience with staying hidden. Also, Barry was obviously not starving.

Last edited by john4200 : 04-27-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #11
john4200

Quote:
Since they made the clones in the first place, I would assume they always had it. And behind the scenes, they've now figured out who Sarah is (I would guess the people who smuggled her out faked her death, which is why Max Headroom's response to Sarah's existence was "Who is THIS one?" instead of "Ah, THAT'S what happened to the missing one").
I suspect we have not seen all the evils of Dyad yet. In all these years, there should be a lot more cloning experiments than just the one that created Sarah et al. It seems that there must be -- or must have been -- a number of clones living in a lab / prison somewhere, possibly wasting away (or already dead) with genetic disease, or mental problems, or something else that made them unsuitable for "field testing" such as Alison and Cosima were undergoing.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #12
Goober96

Isn't it interesting that the creators of the show are coming down on the side of those of us who believe that homosexuality is not an inborn trait but rather a conscious choice? If it was in the DNA, for one to be gay, they would all have to be gay.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #13
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
Isn't it interesting that the creators of the show are coming down on the side of those of us who believe that homosexuality is not an inborn trait but rather a conscious choice? If it was in the DNA, for one to be gay, they would all have to be gay.
I'm not sure that's the message they're intentionally sending. They've shown us that even though they're all clones, they are not carbon copies of each other. Organs reversed, fertility and other traits have variances that you wouldn't think clones would have. There's no reason sexual orientation couldn't fall into this same variance pool.

I think they are not addressing it, just allowing it.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:01 PM   #14
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

So far no one has mentioned that Donnie may be the current monitor, but from his behavior it's pretty clear it's a new role, anyone taking bets the old monitor was Aynsley after all? or
Spoiler:
the mystery woman Allison is meeting next week

Old 04-27-2014, 09:19 PM   #15
BrettStah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
Those are not the only two possibilities - DNA is not the only factor for "inborn traits".

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #16
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
So far no one has mentioned that Donnie may be the current monitor, but from his behavior it's pretty clear it's a new role, anyone taking bets the old monitor was Aynsley after all? or
I don't think it is clear it is a new role. There was evidence that he was the monitor early last season (esp. the secret lock box). The problem is that they made him look quite inept this episode, despite the fact that he did not crack under torture last season. He goes from tough secret agent who does not crack under torture to bumbling oaf who cannot even follow someone to a cemetery without being spotted.

Alison's plan was not smart. She should have assumed that her monitor would be hard for her to spot at the cemetery and had another friend or two watching the entrance(s) to the cemetery to see if Donnie came in. But the writers elected to go with stupid Alison and bumbling Donnie.

Last edited by john4200 : 04-27-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:03 AM   #17
Azlen

Quote:
I don't think it is clear it is a new role. There was evidence that he was the monitor early last season (esp. the secret lock box). The problem is that they made him look quite inept this episode, despite the fact that he did not crack under torture last season. He goes from tough secret agent who does not crack under torture to bumbling oaf who cannot even follow someone to a cemetery without being spotted.

Alison's plan was not smart. She should have assumed that her monitor would be hard for her to spot at the cemetery and had another friend or two watching the entrance(s) to the cemetery to see if Donnie came in. But the writers elected to go with stupid Alison and bumbling Donnie.
I actually agree with you on this. Donnie went from competent to bumbling with no real explanation. A decent spy would also not have his text messages so available to read. Unless they're luring Allison into some type of trap the change in his apparent competency really makes no sense.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:15 AM   #18
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Unless they're luring Allison into some type of trap the change in his apparent competency really makes no sense.
If "they" means Dyad, then it is obvious that they are NOT luring Alison into a trap. The conversation Donnie had on the phone with the Dyad handler made that clear.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:14 AM   #19
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:

Of course he didn't crack last year, he didn't have a clue since Aynsley was the monitor, that why it's so easy to take his bumbling this year making the point that he's new in the monitor role.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:17 AM   #20
john4200

Quote:
Of course he didn't crack last year, he didn't have a clue since Aynsley was the monitor, that why it's so easy to take his bumbling this year making the point that he's new in the monitor role.
You're joking, right?
Old 04-28-2014, 07:30 AM   #21
philw1776

Quote:
She was NOT the monitor. Allison's husband was the monitor as we saw in Season One. That's what makes Allison rogering her husband and then standing by and just letting her die as an innocent friend so emotionally devastating.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #22
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

First off, this episode was much better than the last one. Hopefully the last episode, which I thought was genuinely bad, was an anomaly.

Secondly, I did not interpret this episode as revealing that there an "original" person, just that there is a master genome from which they were all derived. Sort of like when you fork source code. The original genome could have been artificial and not extracted from a real person.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #23
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
First off, this episode was much better than the last one. Hopefully the last episode, which I thought was genuinely bad, was an anomaly.
I recently read a couple reviews where the reviewers had previewed several of this season's episodes and both remarked that the first two episodes felt a little subpar and the show really picks up starting with, I think, episode 3.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #24
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

SO who are the bad guys? Max Headroom and his crowd or the Prolethians?
Are is it both?
I'm hooked on this show.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #25
cheesesteak
Meh.

Rachel is the only clone that Tatiana doesn't pull off 100% believably to me. Maybe it's the hair that seems to scream "Wig!" whenever I see her.

Remind me to turn down all invitations to join Mrs. S at the table or at least make sure we're only using plastic utensils.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #26
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Remind me to turn down all invitations to join Mrs. S at the table or at least make sure we're only using plastic utensils.
Or at the very least, don't sell her out to the enemy.

She doesn't seem to take very well to that sort of thing.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #27
Shakhari

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Rachel is the only clone that Tatiana doesn't pull off 100% believably to me. Maybe it's the hair that seems to scream "Wig!" whenever I see her.
I think part of that is that we haven't seen much of her yet and we know the others better. The other clones have all had there own scenes, away from Sarah, and they've been around in the story longer.
Shakhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #28
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
I think part of that is that we haven't seen much of her yet and we know the others better. The other clones have all had there own scenes, away from Sarah, and they've been around in the story longer.
Rachel has had several of her own scenes, "away from Sarah".
Old 04-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #29
philw1776

Quote:
Or at the very least, don't sell her out to the enemy.

She doesn't seem to take very well to that sort of thing.
She seems to lack Commitment