TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
Alphi

Dead TiVo HD (upgraded HD?)

I hope you guys can point me in the right direction.

In a nutshell, my main TiVo is a TiVo HD (series 3) that I upgraded myself right after buying it (5 years ago) with a 1TB hard drive.

This weekend it started rebooting over and over again. So to see if I could narrow down the cause, I opened it back up again (for the first time since I upgraded it) and put the original HD back in (that I'd saved just in case I'd need it). And luckily, the TiVo started working again, making me believe that the upgraded HD was what had failed.

Unfortunately, now I'm back down to the original 20 hour HD capacity (instead of 150), and I'm afraid I've lost everything I had saved.

I have no problem with buying another 1 TB drive and upgrading it. But if there's any way I can salvage what's on the old one, that'd be great.

I'm also concerned that I don't know any more which HD models I can/should buy, as the last thing I want to do is buy a drive and get it here and find I cannot use it.

Any suggestions/advice?
- TiVo HD expanded to 157 HD hrs w/lifetime
- TiVo S3 w/lifetime
Alphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphi View Post
I hope you guys can point me in the right direction.

In a nutshell, my main TiVo is a TiVo HD (series 3) that I upgraded myself right after buying it (5 years ago) with a 1TB hard drive.

This weekend it started rebooting over and over again. So to see if I could narrow down the cause, I opened it back up again (for the first time since I upgraded it) and put the original HD back in (that I'd saved just in case I'd need it). And luckily, the TiVo started working again, making me believe that the upgraded HD was what had failed.

Unfortunately, now I'm back down to the original 20 hour HD capacity (instead of 150), and I'm afraid I've lost everything I had saved.

I have no problem with buying another 1 TB drive and upgrading it. But if there's any way I can salvage what's on the old one, that'd be great.

I'm also concerned that I don't know any more which HD models I can/should buy, as the last thing I want to do is buy a drive and get it here and find I cannot use it.

Any suggestions/advice?
You'll need a PC to which you can connect SATA drives, either by direct to motherboard port, via SATA/IDE adapter to IDE headers on motherboard, or via SATA/USB adapters to USB ports.

It will help if that PC is running Windows XP SP3 or newer and you have

winmfs.exe

installed.

Having bootable copies of the Ultimate Boot CD and the MFS Live cd v1.4 on hand would also be handy.

You need to run the drive manufacturer's own diagnostic software on the drive.

While you're doing that you need to check for the very real and highly likely possibility that the TiVo's power supply is falling victim to "capacitor plague" and you need to eliminate that as a possible problem before you can be confident in any other diagnosis of the TiVo's problem.

If you wind up needing a new drive, if you can get a WD20EURS new directly from newegg or Amazon (and not from some "partner" or in their "marketplace"), many have reported success with that model, myself included.

The newer version, the WD20EURX, seems to be an acceptable substitute as well, but I myself haven't used one yet--just going by what others have reported.

Even if your 1TB has problems, it may have enough life left for us to get a decent copy of it with the right utility.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
Alphi

Well, I'm hoping that the power supply (and possible capacitor problems) isn't the reason, as once I put the old HD back in on Friday, the TiVo has been running like a champ ever since.

As for connecting to a PC with SATA, that shouldn't be a problem - I know at very worst I could cannibalize a PC or three here to get one functional one...

That drive you recommended is a 2TB one, right? On the one hand I don't need more than 1TB and don't want to spend too much money more than I need. On the other hand, my suspicion is that I wouldn't save much anyways.

I guess the thing I want to be sure of, is it's been a few years since I dealt with computer hardware, and I wasn't sure if "SATA-III" would be compatible with a 5 year old TiVo HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You'll need a PC to which you can connect SATA drives, either by direct to motherboard port, via SATA/IDE adapter to IDE headers on motherboard, or via SATA/USB adapters to USB ports.

It will help if that PC is running Windows XP SP3 or newer and you have

winmfs.exe

installed.

Having bootable copies of the Ultimate Boot CD and the MFS Live cd v1.4 on hand would also be handy.

You need to run the drive manufacturer's own diagnostic software on the drive.

While you're doing that you need to check for the very real and highly likely possibility that the TiVo's power supply is falling victim to "capacitor plague" and you need to eliminate that as a possible problem before you can be confident in any other diagnosis of the TiVo's problem.

If you wind up needing a new drive, if you can get a WD20EURS new directly from newegg or Amazon (and not from some "partner" or in their "marketplace"), many have reported success with that model, myself included.

The newer version, the WD20EURX, seems to be an acceptable substitute as well, but I myself haven't used one yet--just going by what others have reported.

Even if your 1TB has problems, it may have enough life left for us to get a decent copy of it with the right utility.

- TiVo HD expanded to 157 HD hrs w/lifetime
- TiVo S3 w/lifetime
Alphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:32 PM   #4
unitron

I don't have the money to throw around to be an expert on all the latest hardware, but indications from others are that the WD20EURX will "fall back" from 6Gb/s to 3 or 1.5, whichever the S3 platform TiVos are, without a problem.

You get more GB/$ with a 2TB drive.

Many of the TiVo supplies with capacitor problems (which aren't always visible as bulging or leaking caps) can supply almost enough current, so they do fine--until you plug in a cable card or something that draws power from a USB port on the back, or use a drive that pulls a little more current than the original (but is perfectly good).

So you need to test the power supply and the drive.

And you need to not test the drive on a GigaByte brand motherboard without taking certain precautions before powering up.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote