TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #31
MScottC

I've been pulling the plug out of the back of my TiVos for over 14 years now, never once caused an issue. Granted, I'm not doing this on a regular basis, but on rare occasions. These systems are designed to deal with abrupt power losses. They immediately resume with a normal boot up operation and recover just fine.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #32
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by MScottC View Post
These systems are designed to deal with abrupt power losses. They immediately resume with a normal boot up operation and recover just fine.
Except when they don't. This forum has lots of reports of "dead TiVos" following power failures. Yes, most of the time it does no harm. But you can significantly lower the risk by taking an extra 30 seconds to have the TiVo restart.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:01 AM   #33
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Except when they don't. This forum has lots of reports of "dead TiVos" following power failures. Yes, most of the time it does no harm. But you can significantly lower the risk by taking an extra 30 seconds to have the TiVo restart.
The last sentence is what I regard as unproven.

Yes, there will be lots of dead TiVos following power failures - that's the expected behavior. Upon startup, the Tivo is accessing many critical disk blocks that it never needs to access at any other time, either because they are just needed once, or because they are brought into memory and kept there. Any failure to read such a block will result in system failure.

Once operating, TiVos are remarkably resilient to failing from bad disks. I'm sure many of us have run TiVos for weeks or months that we know have bad disks - we'd never be able to do that with our usual desktops if they were reading/writing disks as much as the TiVo is. Disk failures once the TiVo is operating are much less likely to cause system failures.

I agree that "power bouncing" puts extra stress upon all components, including disks. But I'm not sure it occurs enough to be an important factor in disk life.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #34
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Just because a vest says "bulletproof", doesn't mean it's a good idea to intentionally jump into the path of flying bullets. I think that's a darn good analogy. Even bulletproof vests can't cover everything, from every angle. Factor in armour-piercing bullets, and you are just asking to go down.
Just recently, a police officer here was killed in a "friendly fire" incident, where the bullet apparently found a gap in bullet-"proof" vest. Several officers were searching a suspect's house, and one of the officers suddenly came up on one of the others and mistook him for a "bad guy".
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #35
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Except when they don't. This forum has lots of reports of "dead TiVos" following power failures.
How many people report "dead TiVos" after pulling the plug and plugging it back in? Power failures are often accompanied by erratic surges and spikes that don't happen when you simply pull the plug and then plug it back in.