TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
susandennis

Premier Elite maybe dying - need process suggestions

My 2 year old Premiere Elite started rebooting itself a couple of months ago. About once a week, it reboots - sometimes twice a week. Sometimes it's while I'm watching a recording sometimes it happens when the TV isn't even on. I have done the un-powering everything process and I have a brand new router. Still, once a week - sometimes 2 and 3 times a week, it reboots.

It is a lifetime box and I bought an extended warranty which is good until March of 2015. As of right now, the rebooting pain isn't as great as the idea of sending it off for repair so I just swear when it happens. But, I think I'm probably living on borrowed time.

There are lots of things on the TiVo I still want to watch that aren't transferable. And I don't want to be without TiVo capabilities while it's off being fixed/replaced.

But, if I have to...

Does anyone have any experience using the extended warranty service? What is the process like? Is it pack up your box and send it off and wait? How long?

I do understand that a replacement may be with a refurbished machine - I'm fine with that. Other than that any...

Tips? Suggestions? Ideas?
susandennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

do you have an external drive attached?

are you using wireless on it?

cable or ota?
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
susandennis

Yes, there is an extender driver attached.

It's connected via ethernet.

Cable (cable card).
Old 03-09-2014, 03:57 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

The first thing you should do is transfer as many of the shows as you can to another TiVo, if you have one, or a PC if you don't. Then unpair the external drive and see if that fixes the problem. (You'll lose most/all of your recordings by doing this) If that helps then just replace the drive, transfer your recordings back from the other TiVo or PC and you're good. If not then it's likely the internal drive. If you're comfortable replacing it then you can buy a new drive at Weaknees. If not you can mail it off to them to have them do the repair. Your only other option is to sell it as-is (someone will buy it since it has lifetime) and then buy a new Roamio.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Yeah, the extender drives have gotten enough of a reputation to be looked at as more likely than other possibilities.

Another thing I thought of (I was running out the door with my last post, hence how short it was, sorry!) that is easy and relatively painless to test is HDMI compatibility issues. Are you connected to your display via HDMI? There have been some occasional stability issues seen. You can try another connection (e.g. component or composite) temporarily.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

This also may just be related to the others having random rebooting issues over the last 2 weeks, and may have nothing to do with hardware.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...4#post10032704

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=485410

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by susandennis View Post
Yes, there is an extender driver attached.

It's connected via ethernet.

Cable (cable card).
EDIT to add: Any servicing of your unit by anyone other than yourself or any replacement with a new or refurb means you lose all the recordings.
END EDIT

For a moment there I thought you were saying that the external drive was connected by an Ethernet cable instead of an eSATA cable.

The eSATA cable that comes with the WD external drives that are "TiVo-certified" (or whatever they call it) are infamous for going bad even though they're just sitting there, and if the fault is intermittent, that could cause a temporary loss of contact between the TiVo and the drive which might be the cause of the re-boots.

Suggest you go to the download page for the Ultimate Boot CD, go down to mirror sites and click on the icon just to the left of one of them near you and download the .iso and then burn it "as an image" to a cd-r, then figure a way to connect the external drive to a PC, boot with the UBCD, and run WD's diagnostic long test just to be sure that the drive itself is still okay.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
susandennis

Thanks all for your notes. (for some reason the email notification broke after the first one and I forgot to check. I have spoken to myself about this bad forum etiquette and promise to do better.)

I did transfer all my programs (and season passes) to my old TiVo which is now the bedroom TiVo. Since the one that keeps rebooting is still under warranty, I have no desire to repair it myself.

After this morning's spontaneous reboot which followed 2 yesterday and I'm getting the C501 error after each now, I called TiVo and asked for a replacement. I got no argument from the very nice CSR I talked to. I was given an option of sending in mine and waiting for the new or paying for a new and getting that payment refunded when they get the broken one back.

I opted for paying the deposit. They sent me a prepaid shipping label and are sending me a replacement box. The replacement box will have the regular year warranty and my extended warranty will no longer be valid (which in my case is a wash since the extended warranty expires a year from now anyway).

Before I send this one back, I will un-attach the extender and see what that does to my ToDo list. I'll do this mainly because I've always been curious about that.

On the downside, getting this all resolved means that I've now lost my excuse to replace one of these with a Roamio. Sigh. (Dan203, you mentioned selling... with a new Roamio in mind, I might still consider that. Is eBay still the best option for selling a lifetime box?)

Thanks, again, to all of you for giving me good thoughts and ideas and suggestions.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
susandennis

Interesting follow on... My replacement TiVo arrives on Friday. Today is Tuesday. I have until the first of June to return my current/broken one. BUT they deactivated it this morning!!

Yep, they jumped the gun. The service number for the broken one was not even listed in any way under my account on TiVo.Com. The service number of the new TiVo is there but not the current one.

I called and they are re-activating and, when the new one gets here, they say, I'll have to call again.

Not too slick but what ever.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah they're not too good about giving people overlap periods. They had a promotion with the Roamio where they allowed people to transfer older, cheaper, monthly service plans if they bought a new Roamio. But then they transferred the service as soon as the new box shipped disabling the old one while it was in transit and preventing the owner from being able to transfer their shows to the new box when they got it. They really should have some sort of overlap grace period for situations like this.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:34 PM   #11
susandennis

Interesting. I had not heard about that deal. Both my boxes are lifetimes and I keep waiting for a Roamio deal for us like they did once way back when (series 1 to 2?). But, I'm not hopeful.

On the up side, she told me it would take 2-24 hours to get reactivated. But, I did a 'call to hq' at about the 30 minutes mark and I was fixed. So whew.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:45 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah it was only for monthly subscriptions. Lifetime is tied to the original box forever. They have offered weird upgrade offers to lifetime users once or twice in the past, but I really doubt they'll do that again.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:50 PM   #13
susandennis

Yeah, I got one of those lifetime upgrades and then got in on a different kind of lifetime transfer deal. My second box which is a TiVo3 shows it's been lifetime since the year 2000. Always amuses me.

But, I agree, those glory days are behind us
Old 03-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #14
steve614
what ru lookin at?

The last lifetime transfer deal I remember was when the Series 3 OLED came out.
I don't remember the details, but I remember almost biting the bullet. At the time, I didn't have a need to upgrade to HD and I couldn't justify spending $800 for the hardware.

If TiVo ever offers some sort of lifetime transfer deal for the Roamio, I'll be first in line. I'm not getting my hopes up, though.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah that was a strange time though. Lifetime wasn't even available to buy (people were selling lifetime cards on eBay for $500-700) and the S3 OLED units were unsubsidized and cost $700/ea. So being able to transfer lifetime from an old TiVo for $200 was a great deal.

TiVo has stabilized their subscription model since then so I highly doubt they will ever offer such a deal again. Your best bet is to just sell the old unit and apply the proceeds to your next unit.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #16
pegasus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Lifetime is tied to the original box forever. They have offered weird upgrade offers to lifetime users once or twice in the past, but I really doubt they'll do that again.
But for those of us still nursing along our workhorse Series 1 machine, we can always hope.
pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote