TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
kturcotte

Watch General Hospital

My Roamio didn't record General Hospital today. It did, but OTA signal was messed up for some reason, so it's just a mess of junk. Is there anyway to watch it online? I know ABC has an app and website, but they require you to login with your cable provider info, and I'm OTA only.
kturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #2
SQUIDWARD360

no
SQUIDWARD360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:08 PM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I think the episodes available without cable tv credentials are delayed a week on ABC. The logic of these requirements escapes me. I assume it relates to getting the ads they want you to see inserted in the stream, depending on your location.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #4
gkottner

Maybe it's location based, but we're strictly OTA and my wife is able to watch General Hospital (the following day) on her iPad using the ABC app. We've occasionally watched some Castle episodes as well until we got the 4 tuner Roamio. I don't ever remember being asked for cable provider info or even having to setup an account on the ABC app. Just north of Cincinnati, OH, here.
gkottner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
dlfl
Cranky old novice

gkottner, I know where you are -- I'm just northwest of Dayton. Do you get both Cincy and Dayton channels OTA, or are the Dayton channels not worth bothering with when you can get the Cincy ones?

Can you get day-old ABC episodes on your PC browser, at ABC.com, without cable provider credentials?

and
Old 03-15-2014, 05:25 AM   #6
kturcotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkottner View Post
Maybe it's location based, but we're strictly OTA and my wife is able to watch General Hospital (the following day) on her iPad using the ABC app. We've occasionally watched some Castle episodes as well until we got the 4 tuner Roamio. I don't ever remember being asked for cable provider info or even having to setup an account on the ABC app. Just north of Cincinnati, OH, here.
I downloaded ABC's app, and it wanted login info before it would let me watch anything. I also installed Flash until Android phone (Yes it is possible), and went to ABC's website. It also wanted login info. I'm in the Portland, ME area. Not sure if it's location based out not. I did however discover that Hulu Plus does have General Hospital episodes! I knew they did in the website (Dont have a computer though) , but wasn't aware they were available on Hulu Plus. Must have been a recent addition.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:45 AM   #7
JohnS-MI

Quote:
Recently? ABC's change from next day delay to 7 day delay for uncredentialed customers is fairly recent.
JohnS-MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #8
gkottner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS-MI View Post
Recently? ABC's change from next day delay to 7 day delay for uncredentialed customers is fairly recent.
Oops ... Guess I should have checked at home first before I answered from work. It's been maybe 6 weeks since we used the WatchABC app, but now as everyone has stated, you do have to verify your provider if you want to watch episodes less than 7 days old. I apologize for the mis-information.

Last edited by gkottner : 03-16-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #9
gkottner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
gkottner, I know where you are -- I'm just northwest of Dayton. Do you get both Cincy and Dayton channels OTA, or are the Dayton channels not worth bothering with when you can get the Cincy ones?

Can you get day-old ABC episodes on your PC browser, at ABC.com, without cable provider credentials?
I've never checked ABC.com, so not sure how that works.

Right now, I just have a Winegard Flatwave unamplified antenna taped to the wall behind the TV. I got it at Costco a couple years ago. There's no model number that I saw on the box. I get 5, 14, and 64 perfectly. Very minor pixilation on 9 and 19. Some pixilation on 12 and 48, but certainly watchable. Have not been able to pull in any Dayton stations. I live in a ranch house between 2 2-story houses. I may try a small outdoor antenna when it gets warm out to see if I can get anything else. We really only watch everything on one TV. The kids mainly watch Netflix with their Wii on their TV.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #10
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I've never checked ABC.com, so not sure how that works.

Right now, I just have a Winegard Flatwave unamplified antenna taped to the wall behind the TV. I got it at Costco a couple years ago. There's no model number that I saw on the box. I get 5, 14, and 64 perfectly. Very minor pixilation on 9 and 19. Some pixilation on 12 and 48, but certainly watchable. Have not been able to pull in any Dayton stations. I live in a ranch house between 2 2-story houses. I may try a small outdoor antenna when it gets warm out to see if I can get anything else. We really only watch everything on one TV. The kids mainly watch Netflix with their Wii on their TV.
In case you're interested, you can size up your OTA reception prospects and antenna requirements by going to antennaweb.org and entering your zip code. TVFool.com is a similar site. I use a small $22 directional antenna behind the TV and get near perfect reception on all the major networks plus fox and pbs. All the towers are clustered just 10 miles away. However they look to be 20 to 25 miles from you. The stations you get are 12 to 16 miles from you.

and
Old 03-18-2014, 02:36 AM   #11
ajwees41

you can watch it via Hulu Plus.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #12
gkottner

Quote:
In case you're interested, you can size up your OTA reception prospects and antenna requirements by going to antennaweb.org and entering your zip code. TVFool.com is a similar site. I use a small $22 directional antenna behind the TV and get near perfect reception on all the major networks plus fox and pbs. All the towers are clustered just 10 miles away. However they look to be 20 to 25 miles from you. The stations you get are 12 to 16 miles from you.
I don't want to go huge with an outside antenna. I know I can use the cable TV wiring to route everything. By our main TV I already have 2 antenna inputs, so I can test with just a 2-way splitter for the Roamio and Tivo HD. If that works, I can always add an amplifier if the kids ever want "real" TV in their bedrooms. Thanks for the tips.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #13
kturcotte

Is it possible to be too close to the towers? What can be done in this case? The 2 channels I get OTA in within 1 mile if them. My indoor antenna will be fine for a couple of days, getting around 30dB, then all of a sudden that drops to like 10dB. Nothing has changed, the antenna hasn't moved. Only solution is to move the antenna, then wait for the dance thing to happen again in a few days.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:12 AM   #14
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kturcotte View Post
Is it possible to be too close to the towers? What can be done in this case? The 2 channels I get OTA in within 1 mile if them. My indoor antenna will be fine for a couple of days, getting around 30dB, then all of a sudden that drops to like 10dB. Nothing has changed, the antenna hasn't moved. Only solution is to move the antenna, then wait for the dance thing to happen again in a few days.
Multipath might be the culprit. You might find this thread relevant:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=515767

and
Old 03-22-2014, 07:28 PM   #15
kturcotte

Quote:
Multipath might be the culprit. You might find this thread relevant:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=515767
In using the HD Blade antenna. It's connected directly to the Roamio via 3Ghz solid copper core RG-6. The 2 channels are broadcast on 8 (Yes, actually 8) and 44. I'm not near an airport. From what I'm reading, multipath definitely sounds like the issue, though I'm not sure where is coming from. Could it be coming from the towers themselves, since they're both within a mile of the house? Would a different antenna react better?