Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
BOMOON
Negative Futurist

Replaced S3 hard drive, now cannot access Video On Demand or TiVo Search

Hello,

Recently the hard drive in my S3 crashed, so I replaced it with a Plug-and-Play drive from DvrStore. Here are the specs for the drive:

TiVo Series 3 TCD648250B Hard Drive Upgrade 2TB Plug & Play WD AVGP
Item# 251175329956

The replacement seemed to go OK - I can access the TiVo menu with the "Now Playing List" and "Settings" options, but I can't use "Video On Demand" or "Tivo Search". When I select either option, the menu just reappears after a few seconds.

I've seen older posts reporting the same problem after an HDD replacement but the solutions suggested haven't worked for me. Mostly they involved forcing a connection to the TiVo service and waiting for the service to "re-index" the hard drive. I've done this a number of times and although the connection is successful, there's still no response from "Video on Demand" and "TiVo Search."

I need those options because my S3 is not connected to any cable service. Instead I access internet services such as NetFlix, Amazon Instant Video, etc. There's no way I can use those services now.

Any ideas what I can do to get my S3 Video On Demand and TiVo Search working the way they did before the HDD replacement?

Tivo Series 3 HD DVR info:

Model: TCD648250B
Software: 11.0K-01-2-648
Last TiVo Service connection (with re-indexing): 03/07/2014
Internet Connection: TiVo USB/Wireless-G adapter
Internet Connection Status: successful connections with TiVo service, able to access DVR web server with FireFox browser from PC's on same LAN
Router: Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G

If there's more info from the system settings and information menus that I should post here, please let me know.

Thanks for your time,
Old 03-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I think you would need to run Clear & Delete Everything because the new drive needs to be 'married' to the Tivo to be able to record, you can tell you need to run its is when you go to System Information screen and your Tivo Service number are all Zeros.

Another thing is the Tivo software version needs to be updated through multiple Tivo Service connections until it gets the update. Current version is 11.0m and you still have 11.0k

Netflix and other streaming may need to be logged out and re-logged in for them to work again.
If you have cable cards (but see you do not have,) you would need to get them re-paired to get their on-demand services and premium channels.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #3
BOMOON
Negative Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I think you would need to run Clear & Delete Everything because the new drive needs to be 'married' to the Tivo to be able to record, you can tell you need to run its is when you go to System Information screen and your Tivo Service number are all Zeros.
Another thing is the Tivo software version needs to be updated through multiple Tivo Service connections until it gets the update. Current version is 11.0m and you still have 11.0k
Netflix and other streaming may need to be logged out and re-logged in for them to work again.
If you have cable cards (but see you do not have,) you would need to get them re-paired to get their on-demand services and premium channels.
Hi ThAbt0,

The TiVo service number is not all zeroes. It matches what it was before the HDD replacement. I did go to the TiVo website and tried to activate the S3 again using the same numbers, and got a message saying that it was already activated. So at least I know that the S3 is "activated" whatever that has to do with this problem.

When you say "Clear and Delete Everything", do you mean reformat the drive? If I do that, won't I lose the TiVo OS that was installed as part of the Plug-and-Play capability?

At the moment, there are no recordings on the TiVo because I haven't been able to access Video on Demand or TiVo Search. What would I delete if I didn't reformat the drive?

RE software version 11.0m: you say multiple service connections are needed to get the upgrade from 11.0k. I've done at least a dozen service connections trying to get this problem solved. How many connections does it take to initiate an upgrade? Shouldn't that happen anytime a service connection is made and the software is out of date? Is there a way to force an upgrade besides just trying service connections over and over again?

Thanks for your time,
Old 03-08-2014, 11:42 PM   #4
bru_man

Give it a couple days, I remember there was some oddness when I first got my tivo that it took a few days before some features started working. I think had issues with getting tivo to tivo transfers working.
bru_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:56 PM   #5
BOMOON
Negative Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bru_man View Post
Give it a couple days, I remember there was some oddness when I first got my tivo that it took a few days before some features started working. I think had issues with getting tivo to tivo transfers working.
It's been over a month now. I don't think "a few days" is going to make any difference. Besides, my experience with TiVo even before the hard drive crash is that obscure problems like this never fix themselves.

There has to be a way I can force that software upgrade. Has anyone been able to do this with the S3?
Old 03-09-2014, 12:11 AM   #6
bru_man

Ah, i read "recently" was was thinking something shorter.
What happens when you select Video on demand? Do you get an errors? If I remember correctly that page is an extension that gets downloaded each you access it from tivo. Have you tried ethernet cable rather than wireless? Do you have any rules on your router that might block the tivo from accessing stuff on the internet? I think someone else suggested doing a reset, eg Messages and settings -> Restart or Reboot -> Clear and delete everything.
bru_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:15 AM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

With new Tivos, they get updated after about the 4th connection.

Clear & Delete Everything does not format as on a PC. Its like a factory reset.
When was the last time, since the drive install, was rebooted, Plug pulled?
You might need a reboot, then try a Connect.

Just throwing out possibilities.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 03-09-2014, 12:32 AM   #8
BOMOON
Negative Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
With new Tivos, they get updated after about the 4th connection.

Clear & Delete Everything does not format as on a PC. Its like a factory reset.
When was the last time, since the drive install, was rebooted, Plug pulled?
You might need a reboot, then try a Connect.

Just throwing out possibilities.
Over the last month there have been many reboots via the power cable. Nothing changed, unfortunately.

I'm going to look into that Clear and Delete Everything option. That's something I haven't tried because I never heard of it before.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
teasip

I never had to "Clear/Delete" when I upgraded my HD years ago.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #10
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

It needed when you put in a drive with the image from another Tivo. For example.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 03-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #11
wtkflhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOMOON View Post
Over the last month there have been many reboots via the power cable. Nothing changed, unfortunately.

I'm going to look into that Clear and Delete Everything option. That's something I haven't tried because I never heard of it before.
Be advised when you do a "clear and delete everything", it takes a good while to do it. Maybe a few hours. So don't think something is wrong because it is taking so long.

Don H.
wtkflhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Hello,

Recently the hard drive in my S3 crashed, so I replaced it with a Plug-and-Play drive from DvrStore. Here are the specs for the drive:

TiVo Series 3 TCD648250B Hard Drive Upgrade 2TB Plug & Play WD AVGP
Item# 251175329956

The replacement seemed to go OK - I can access the TiVo menu with the "Now Playing List" and "Settings" options, but I can't use "Video On Demand" or "Tivo Search". When I select either option, the menu just reappears after a few seconds.

I've seen older posts reporting the same problem after an HDD replacement but the solutions suggested haven't worked for me. Mostly they involved forcing a connection to the TiVo service and waiting for the service to "re-index" the hard drive. I've done this a number of times and although the connection is successful, there's still no response from "Video on Demand" and "TiVo Search."

I need those options because my S3 is not connected to any cable service. Instead I access internet services such as NetFlix, Amazon Instant Video, etc. There's no way I can use those services now.

Any ideas what I can do to get my S3 Video On Demand and TiVo Search working the way they did before the HDD replacement?

Tivo Series 3 HD DVR info:

Model: TCD648250B
Software: 11.0K-01-2-648
Last TiVo Service connection (with re-indexing): 03/07/2014
Internet Connection: TiVo USB/Wireless-G adapter
Internet Connection Status: successful connections with TiVo service, able to access DVR web server with FireFox browser from PC's on same LAN
Router: Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G

If there's more info from the system settings and information menus that I should post here, please let me know.

Thanks for your time,
Go to tivo.com and log into your account and look around and see if you find something in there with your unit and some check box that needs to be checked again.

Also go into TiVo Central, Music, Photos, & Showcases and see what's listed there. Anything about beta search?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:32 AM   #13
BOMOON
Negative Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bru_man View Post
What happens when you select Video on demand? Do you get an errors? If I remember correctly that page is an extension that gets downloaded each you access it from tivo. Have you tried ethernet cable rather than wireless? Do you have any rules on your router that might block the tivo from accessing stuff on the internet? I think someone else suggested doing a reset, eg Messages and settings -> Restart or Reboot -> Clear and delete everything.
Hi bru_man,
RE what happens when you select video on demand: I covered that in my first post:

"The replacement seemed to go OK - I can access the TiVo menu with the "Now Playing List" and "Settings" options, but I can't use "Video On Demand" or "Tivo Search". ***When I select either option, the menu just reappears after a few seconds.***"

I'll have to work on trying an ethernet cable - the TiVo is on the opposite side of the house from my router! However I have a long ethernet cable I was using to debug problems with my DirecTV Genie DVR. I can swap it to give it a try.

However, I have no problems accessing the S3 web server from my PC. The router is not blocking that kind of traffic, at least.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:59 AM   #14
BOMOON
Negative Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Go to tivo.com and log into your account and look around and see if you find something in there with your unit and some check box that needs to be checked again.

Also go into TiVo Central, Music, Photos, & Showcases and see what's listed there. Anything about beta search?

Hi unitron,
Yes, I verified those online options for my S3 based on advice in the older threads. For the S3, they are "Video Sharing" and "Enable Video Downloads." They're both checked.

When I tried TiVo Central, Music, Photos, & Showcases, Beta Search, I got this error:

"An error occurred while running the application. HTTP failure (Http connection error)"

This makes no sense, because I have no problems connecting with the TiVo service via the internet. Also the network status info in the settings shows a working connection. Why is it that I can connect with the TiVo service, but not the Beta Search?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:24 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Hi unitron,
Yes, I verified those online options for my S3 based on advice in the older threads. For the S3, they are "Video Sharing" and "Enable Video Downloads." They're both checked.

When I tried TiVo Central, Music, Photos, & Showcases, Beta Search, I got this error:

"An error occurred while running the application. HTTP failure (Http connection error)"

This makes no sense, because I have no problems connecting with the TiVo service via the internet. Also the network status info in the settings shows a working connection. Why is it that I can connect with the TiVo service, but not the Beta Search?
Well, Beta Search seems to depend on having your resolution set for one of them there fancy new wide TV screens, and otherwise supposedly wants to kick you to Swivel Search (I don't use either and we only have "older" screens) so all I can think now is double check your resolution setting.

And give everything on your home network that doesn't leave the house a fixed IP address that lies outside of a DHCP pool adjusted downwards to just the number of numbers you need plus another 2 or 3 for visitors.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote