TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-10-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
Jeca

Can I have a Roamio hooked up to wireless and a Tivo Mini hooked up to moca?

Hooked up my new Roamio (it's the basic one) just fine to wireless (Cox cable & internet) and it is working great. Now I'd like to hook up a tivo mini. While I realize that the mini needs an ethernet connection, can I create a moca connection and have it work with the wireless Roamio?

I'm not tech savvy as most of you are on these forums. The way I grasp the moca connection is that I have a splitter that splits the cable between internet and TV. The internet cable would be attached to an adapter which in turn would be used to the internet connection to the mini? Do I have it right?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Last edited by Jeca : 06-10-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Jeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:28 AM   #2
mcluvin

Just went through this myself. Not sure if you have a basic, but the the Roamio Plus and Pro will not bridge wireless to moca. That said, I've got my Romio ethernet port connected to a wireless AC bridge, and it will bridge that connection to Moca. I have 2 Minis connected so far, one to another wireless bridge, the other via Moca. So far they've worked every time I've tried to use them and the family isn't complaining. I'm even pushing HD movies to the Roamio and streaming to the Mini without issue.
mcluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

Wireless streaming is very "your mileage may vary." You could try it. It might work, or it might get a lot of buffering or not work at all.

If the latter, the Roamio will have to be wired in some way too. If not ethernet, then a couple of moca adapters will be necessary for the basic Roamio.

The Mini has moca built-in so if you do create a moca network and have coax at the Mini's location already, it won't need ethernet.

The below picture shows how a moca network is created by connecting a moca adapter to the router/modem. It's not too complicated.

Then if ethernet is not desirable at the Roamio, a second moca adapter can be used to add the Roamio.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 06-10-2014 at 02:22 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
Jeca

Thank you for your help Mcluvin and Big Jim. I'm getting a MoCa kit from Amazon that hopefully will solve the problem.
Jeca is offline   Reply With Quote