TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-10-2014, 01:03 AM   #1
jaynyc

Adding a 2nd Roamio

Hi. I currently have:
  • Roamio (OTA) in Bedroom
  • Mini in Living Room

1. If I get a 2nd Roamio for use with a CableCard, will recorded content from both Roamios be simultaneously available to the Mini?

2. If I get a 2nd Roamio for use with a CableCard, will recorded content from 1 Roamio be available to the other Roamio?

3. If I decide to place the 2nd Roamio (CC) in the same AV rack as the 1st Roamio (OTA), how do I manage one device at a time via remote control?

Thank you

--jay
jaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Each Roamio Remote can be pair in RF mode, each remote pairs uniquely with each.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #3
jaynyc

Assuming 1 OTA Roamio, 1 CC Roamio, 1 Mini

When using the Mini...
(i) when I go to My Shows, will I see a consolidated list of recorded content from both Roamios, or do I have to somehow "point" the Mini at one of the 2 Roamios specifically?

(ii) when I go to Live TV, what will I see, all channels consolidated from both Roamios?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:25 AM   #4
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynyc View Post
Assuming 1 OTA Roamio, 1 CC Roamio, 1 Mini

When using the Mini...
(i) when I go to My Shows, will I see a consolidated list of recorded content from both Roamios, or do I have to somehow "point" the Mini at one of the 2 Roamios specifically?
You will see the My Shows list of the Roamio which is currently the Host for the Mini. You would access the other Roamio by navigating to the bottom of the My Shows list, where the other Roamio would be listed. You would select that Roamio, and would then view the other My Shows list.

Quote:
(ii) when I go to Live TV, what will I see, all channels consolidated from both Roamios?
Only the channels on the current Host Roamio. You would have to go into the Mini's setting s and switch Hosts to access Live TV from the other Roamio.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

When you setup the Mini you pick which Roamio to use, this can be changed later by going into settings in the Mini to choose a different host, you will not see a consolidated list of content of both.

The live channels available for the mini will depend on the channels available on the selected host Roamio. Likewise for the recorded content, you will only have available what is recorded on the selected Tivo dvr host currently selected.

Typically the Mini is designed around the basic concept of having a single host DVR and not multiple ones. While changing the host for the mini is possible, it's not the simplest in the sense of say, a single button press.

Mini will also work the 4 tuner Premiere models too if you are looking for an inexpensive 2nd Tivo however the Roamio is far superior to the Premiere.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #6
eric102

The mini can also access the 2 tuner Premiers as long as it has a 4 tuner Roamio or Premier as a host. Another less expensive 2nd DVR option.
eric102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #7
jaynyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric102 View Post
The mini can also access the 2 tuner Premiers as long as it has a 4 tuner Roamio or Premier as a host. Another less expensive 2nd DVR option.
Would this work differently than what is described above?
Old 03-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
eric102

Quote:
No, it works exactly the same. I have a Roamio basic as the host, two 2 tuner Premiers and 2 Minis and it all works perfectly. Both Minis can access all 3 DVRs.

Used 2 tuner Premiers with a lifetime subscription usually go for around 300-350 on Ebay.
eric102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #9
poppagene
User

Quote:
I believe the difference is that the mini cannot use any of the tuners on the 2 tuner premiere, because the 2 tuner premiere cannot ba a host for the mini. As such the mini could only access "live" shows (either cable or OTA depending on what the Roamio is set to). There are work arounds that involve starting a recording on another box.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote