TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:09 PM   #91
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I had no outlet fee. Then one month I got a letter from Comcast in Philly saying they had made an error and weren't charging my outlet fees.

I'm dumping two Premieres and changing them to Minis.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:12 PM   #92
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I had no outlet fee. Then one month I got a letter from Comcast in Philly saying they had made an error and weren't charging my outlet fees.

I'm dumping two Premieres and changing them to Minis.
I've read that Time Warner is starting to charge outlet fees too. Outlet fees just make the Minis w/lifetime an even better deal.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:29 AM   #93
ncfoster

I think those who are lucky enough not to pay the outlet fees are likely to get hit with them eventually when the automated audits hit their account.

Good luck to anyone who isn't paying it, though.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #94
boulderskies

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
What number do you dial for 911 emergency service? OK, (seriously) the PLSR code is "PLSR", and you enter it when you are activating your new TiVo bought from somebody other than TiVo themselves. It's worked for a long time, and I used it back in January.
What's 911?

So, it appears I can go into my TiVo account on a Roamio that I bought about 2 months ago and still purchase a Lifetime; can I use the PLSR code at that point???
Old 03-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #95
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnret View Post
It's a tough call. I am still sitting on the fence on this one. Initial plan was to add a mini to my Roamio pro. But when I called in to cancel my 1 year old XL4 service they offered me lifetime for $99. I jumped on it being it made it more marketable on ebay. Now I am having second thoughts. If I keep the XL4, cable card is free from Comcast, I have backup unit to Roamio if ever needed, extra storage space, plus 4 extra tuners. I figure I could get $300. tops for the XL4 and the mini w/lifetime would cost $238. So close to a wash there.
I would sell the XL4 and get the mini. Actually, I would keep the XL4 and get a mini and use the XL4 for OTA recording and storage (transferring shows to and from it as needed) and then if something horrible happened to the Roamio, you can use the XL4. Or lend the XL4 to a friend/family member to use.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #96
mpnret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
I would sell the XL4 and get the mini. Actually, I would keep the XL4 and get a mini and use the XL4 for OTA recording and storage (transferring shows to and from it as needed) and then if something horrible happened to the Roamio, you can use the XL4. Or lend the XL4 to a friend/family member to use.
Doesn't make sense to keep the XL4 and get the mini especially since I have no need for OTA. I am leaning toward keeping the XL4 and skipping the mini. I may have to rethink this if they start charging me for the cable card in the XL4 but for now it's free in both the Roamio and XL4. I tried researching this charge a bit and opinions are all over the place. And just when you think you understand the Comcast charges you notice that little disclaimer at the end "Certain markets may have alternative pricing.".
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #97
mpnret

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderskies View Post
What's 911?

So, it appears I can go into my TiVo account on a Roamio that I bought about 2 months ago and still purchase a Lifetime; can I use the PLSR code at that point???
Just log on to your TiVo account and click on schedule a future plan. My roamio Pro is about 2 months old and it offers me lifetime for $399. ($499 is next to it crossed out). At that point you can click on have a promotional code and enter PLSR. It will then dispaly PLSR pricing which is also $399. At that point you can just log out and do nothing.

Last edited by mpnret : 03-14-2014 at 02:18 PM.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #98
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnret View Post
Doesn't make sense to keep the XL4 and get the mini especially since I have no need for OTA. I am leaning toward keeping the XL4 and skipping the mini. I may have to rethink this if they start charging me for the cable card in the XL4 but for now it's free in both the Roamio and XL4. I tried researching this charge a bit and opinions are all over the place. And just when you think you understand the Comcast charges you notice that little disclaimer at the end "Certain markets may have alternative pricing.".
Oh, I missed that the CC was free. That definitely changes things. I pay for each CC.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:11 AM   #99
bengalfreak

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Yeah and people have been saying that for years but Tivo is still around.

Let me guess, you'd rather lease all your cars too, right? And continue to pay your cell phone company full price because you want a new phone every couple of years?
Wow, no need to get nasty and imply that I am stupid...
Old 03-18-2014, 07:28 AM   #100
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

No, just kind of tired of how you're using any excuse you can come up with to pay monthly, which is pretty much in line with how most of the country rolls.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:27 AM   #101
bengalfreak

How long do you think it will be before TWC/comcast starts charging per tuner in order to get around the Mini's savings?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #102
bengalfreak

Quote:
No, just kind of tired of how you're using any excuse you can come up with to pay monthly, which is pretty much in line with how most of the country rolls.
Then feel free to exit the thread. There's no need for me to continue to bore you. Sheesh.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #103
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
How long do you think it will be before TWC/comcast starts charging per tuner in order to get around the Mini's savings?
Since the Mini doesn't have a tuner, wouldn't be an issue for Mini owners even if they did.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #104
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
Since the Mini doesn't have a tuner, wouldn't be an issue for Mini owners even if they did.

yes, but the Roamio has 6 tuners. If they were to start charging for each tuner, I'm sure any savings for the Minis would be quickly eaten. However, I've gotten myself off topic as this doesn't have anything to do with a Lifetime subscription.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #105
atmuscarella

Quote:
... I've gotten myself off topic as this doesn't have anything to do with a Lifetime subscription.
Your original topic/question was answered and beat to death long ago.

The reality is that it is unknowable if paying once (lifetime) or monthly for service will end up being "cheaper" for any individual TiVo purchase until after the fact. Which means there is no absolute right or wrong answer. All the scenarios people can think of have been covered and many people have given their results from prior purchases.

I recommend that each person do what ever feels right to themselves and enjoy their TiVo DVR.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #106
bayern_fan

Lifetime vs. monthly is similar to the prepaid vs. postpaid wireless argument with regards to smartphone subsidies.

If you can afford the up-front cost of the device (Tivo + Lifetime, or a retail-price smartphone) it is nearly always better to go for that option over monthly installments.
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #107
spaldingclan

I hate when mommy and daddy fight
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #108
squiddohio

I think it must be my fault.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #109
tarheelblue32

Quote:
yes, but the Roamio has 6 tuners. If they were to start charging for each tuner, I'm sure any savings for the Minis would be quickly eaten. However, I've gotten myself off topic as this doesn't have anything to do with a Lifetime subscription.
I doubt it will ever happen. If they start charging per tuner for CableCard devices, then they would have to start charging per tuner on their DVRs as well. And they can know how many tuners your CableCard supports, but can they actually tell for sure how many tuners your CableCard device actually has or is using? You can have a 6-tuner capable CableCard working in a single-tuner device.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #110
pegasus

Quote:
I guess another problem I have with it, is that it locks you into the cable Tv company. Once you invest in a lifetime Tivo subscription, you are kind of locked into getting your television from the cable company and not free to move to a cheaper supplier.
That is not true.

The base model Roamio (like the 1st version of the Premiere) also allow its owners to receive OTA programing as well as cable.

Like so many others, I have been very happy with the reliability of the hardware used in previous Tivo models. That's why my purchase of Lifetime programing for my Series 1, which is still plugging away after more than 14 years of service was a great bargain.
pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #111
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern_fan View Post
Lifetime vs. monthly is similar to the prepaid vs. postpaid wireless argument with regards to smartphone subsidies.

If you can afford the up-front cost of the device (Tivo + Lifetime, or a retail-price smartphone) it is nearly always better to go for that option over monthly installments.
Yeah and then OP brings up the tired old 'but what if Tivo goes out of business?' line and it's obvious at that point that he really doesn't care what anyone else here says. Logic has no bearing.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #112
squiddohio

You for got to mention that he thinks math is subjective.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #113
skid71

Quote:
Yeah and then OP brings up the tired old 'but what if Tivo goes out of business?' line and it's obvious at that point that he really doesn't care what anyone else here says. Logic has no bearing.
From the many pages of evidence, the above is true.
skid71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #114
dlfl
Cranky old novice

LOL.... The old "is PLS a good deal" topic. Always a reliable way to launch a huge thread that doesn't settle anything.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:23 PM   #115
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
LOL.... The old "is PLS a good deal" topic. Always a reliable way to launch a huge thread that doesn't settle anything.
I think we pretty much settled that TiVo lifetime service is a better deal than monthly service under almost any scenario.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #116
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern_fan View Post

If you can't afford, it's often best to buy used. In this case buying a used tivo with lifetime. A tivo hd with lifetime can be in the $200 - $250 neighbor hood with used premieres a bit more.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:01 PM   #117
gcondrey

Locks you into cable company

Quote:
All valid points. I guess another problem I have with it, is that it locks you into the cable Tv company. Once you invest in a lifetime Tivo subscription, you are kind of locked into getting your television from the cable company and not free to move to a cheaper supplier. Which is, i guess, an entirely different argument.
This is exactly my issue. I came from DirecTv and the cost of that, plus Comcast Internet only, got out of hand. Went with Comcast double play to save about $85 a month but hated their DVR. I bought my Roamio Plus and am very happy with it but find Comcast so hard to deal with. Every month they have something wrong on my bill, no two months have been the same since I began 7 months ago.

I may get so fed up with Comcast's customer service that I have to bolt back to satellite. In that case, the lifetime Tivo service would hinder my ability to change.
gcondrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #118
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
I think we pretty much settled that TiVo lifetime service is a better deal than monthly service under almost any scenario.
Correct. Monthly is for suckers.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:20 AM   #119
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcondrey View Post
I may get so fed up with Comcast's customer service that I have to bolt back to satellite. In that case, the lifetime Tivo service would hinder my ability to change.
Um, resale value?

Like I said, in this thread logic has no bearing for some.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #120
aristoBrat

Quote:
yes, but the Roamio has 6 tuners. If they were to start charging for each tuner, I'm sure any savings for the Minis would be quickly eaten.
Ha, maybe that would inspire them to update the cable card/tuning adapter firmwares (in all markets) so that they actually supported 6 tuners!
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote