TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:09 PM   #91
Arcady
Stargate Fan
 
Arcady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,894
I had no outlet fee. Then one month I got a letter from Comcast in Philly saying they had made an error and weren't charging my outlet fees.

I'm dumping two Premieres and changing them to Minis.
__________________
Roamio Pro (3TB)
Premiere Elite (2TB)
Premiere (320GB)
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:12 PM   #92
tarheelblue32
Registered User
 
tarheelblue32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I had no outlet fee. Then one month I got a letter from Comcast in Philly saying they had made an error and weren't charging my outlet fees.

I'm dumping two Premieres and changing them to Minis.
I've read that Time Warner is starting to charge outlet fees too. Outlet fees just make the Minis w/lifetime an even better deal.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:29 AM   #93
ncfoster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 153
I think those who are lucky enough not to pay the outlet fees are likely to get hit with them eventually when the automated audits hit their account.

Good luck to anyone who isn't paying it, though.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #94
boulderskies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
What number do you dial for 911 emergency service? OK, (seriously) the PLSR code is "PLSR", and you enter it when you are activating your new TiVo bought from somebody other than TiVo themselves. It's worked for a long time, and I used it back in January.
What's 911?

So, it appears I can go into my TiVo account on a Roamio that I bought about 2 months ago and still purchase a Lifetime; can I use the PLSR code at that point???
__________________
Just the basic Roamio with OTA
boulderskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #95
Grakthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnret View Post
It's a tough call. I am still sitting on the fence on this one. Initial plan was to add a mini to my Roamio pro. But when I called in to cancel my 1 year old XL4 service they offered me lifetime for $99. I jumped on it being it made it more marketable on ebay. Now I am having second thoughts. If I keep the XL4, cable card is free from Comcast, I have backup unit to Roamio if ever needed, extra storage space, plus 4 extra tuners. I figure I could get $300. tops for the XL4 and the mini w/lifetime would cost $238. So close to a wash there.
I would sell the XL4 and get the mini. Actually, I would keep the XL4 and get a mini and use the XL4 for OTA recording and storage (transferring shows to and from it as needed) and then if something horrible happened to the Roamio, you can use the XL4. Or lend the XL4 to a friend/family member to use.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #96
mpnret
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
I would sell the XL4 and get the mini. Actually, I would keep the XL4 and get a mini and use the XL4 for OTA recording and storage (transferring shows to and from it as needed) and then if something horrible happened to the Roamio, you can use the XL4. Or lend the XL4 to a friend/family member to use.
Doesn't make sense to keep the XL4 and get the mini especially since I have no need for OTA. I am leaning toward keeping the XL4 and skipping the mini. I may have to rethink this if they start charging me for the cable card in the XL4 but for now it's free in both the Roamio and XL4. I tried researching this charge a bit and opinions are all over the place. And just when you think you understand the Comcast charges you notice that little disclaimer at the end "Certain markets may have alternative pricing.".
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #97
mpnret
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderskies View Post
What's 911?

So, it appears I can go into my TiVo account on a Roamio that I bought about 2 months ago and still purchase a Lifetime; can I use the PLSR code at that point???
Just log on to your TiVo account and click on schedule a future plan. My roamio Pro is about 2 months old and it offers me lifetime for $399. ($499 is next to it crossed out). At that point you can click on have a promotional code and enter PLSR. It will then dispaly PLSR pricing which is also $399. At that point you can just log out and do nothing.

Last edited by mpnret : 03-14-2014 at 02:18 PM.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #98
Grakthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnret View Post
Doesn't make sense to keep the XL4 and get the mini especially since I have no need for OTA. I am leaning toward keeping the XL4 and skipping the mini. I may have to rethink this if they start charging me for the cable card in the XL4 but for now it's free in both the Roamio and XL4. I tried researching this charge a bit and opinions are all over the place. And just when you think you understand the Comcast charges you notice that little disclaimer at the end "Certain markets may have alternative pricing.".
Oh, I missed that the CC was free. That definitely changes things. I pay for each CC.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:11 AM   #99
bengalfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,066
Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Yeah and people have been saying that for years but Tivo is still around.

Let me guess, you'd rather lease all your cars too, right? And continue to pay your cell phone company full price because you want a new phone every couple of years?
Wow, no need to get nasty and imply that I am stupid...
__________________
The Bengals and Tivo, life should have a few obsessions.
bengalfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:28 AM   #100
slowbiscuit
FUBAR
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 2,624
No, just kind of tired of how you're using any excuse you can come up with to pay monthly, which is pretty much in line with how most of the country rolls.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:27 AM   #101
bengalfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,066
How long do you think it will be before TWC/comcast starts charging per tuner in order to get around the Mini's savings?
__________________
The Bengals and Tivo, life should have a few obsessions.
bengalfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #102
bengalfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
No, just kind of tired of how you're using any excuse you can come up with to pay monthly, which is pretty much in line with how most of the country rolls.
Then feel free to exit the thread. There's no need for me to continue to bore you. Sheesh.
__________________
The Bengals and Tivo, life should have a few obsessions.
bengalfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #103
Goober96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
How long do you think it will be before TWC/comcast starts charging per tuner in order to get around the Mini's savings?
Since the Mini doesn't have a tuner, wouldn't be an issue for Mini owners even if they did.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #104
bengalfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
Since the Mini doesn't have a tuner, wouldn't be an issue for Mini owners even if they did.

yes, but the Roamio has 6 tuners. If they were to start charging for each tuner, I'm sure any savings for the Minis would be quickly eaten. However, I've gotten myself off topic as this doesn't have anything to do with a Lifetime subscription.
__________________
The Bengals and Tivo, life should have a few obsessions.
bengalfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #105
atmuscarella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 3,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
... I've gotten myself off topic as this doesn't have anything to do with a Lifetime subscription.
Your original topic/question was answered and beat to death long ago.

The reality is that it is unknowable if paying once (lifetime) or monthly for service will end up being "cheaper" for any individual TiVo purchase until after the fact. Which means there is no absolute right or wrong answer. All the scenarios people can think of have been covered and many people have given their results from prior purchases.

I recommend that each person do what ever feels right to themselves and enjoy their TiVo DVR.
__________________
atmuscarella
R.I.P. - 04/04 - Dish 510
09/05 - Humax T-800
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #106
bayern_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 198
Lifetime vs. monthly is similar to the prepaid vs. postpaid wireless argument with regards to smartphone subsidies.

If you can afford the up-front cost of the device (Tivo + Lifetime, or a retail-price smartphone) it is nearly always better to go for that option over monthly installments.
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #107
spaldingclan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 224
I hate when mommy and daddy fight
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #108
squiddohio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 212
I think it must be my fault.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #109
tarheelblue32
Registered User
 
tarheelblue32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
yes, but the Roamio has 6 tuners. If they were to start charging for each tuner, I'm sure any savings for the Minis would be quickly eaten. However, I've gotten myself off topic as this doesn't have anything to do with a Lifetime subscription.
I doubt it will ever happen. If they start charging per tuner for CableCard devices, then they would have to start charging per tuner on their DVRs as well. And they can know how many tuners your CableCard supports, but can they actually tell for sure how many tuners your CableCard device actually has or is using? You can have a 6-tuner capable CableCard working in a single-tuner device.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #110
pegasus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
I guess another problem I have with it, is that it locks you into the cable Tv company. Once you invest in a lifetime Tivo subscription, you are kind of locked into getting your television from the cable company and not free to move to a cheaper supplier.
That is not true.

The base model Roamio (like the 1st version of the Premiere) also allow its owners to receive OTA programing as well as cable.

Like so many others, I have been very happy with the reliability of the hardware used in previous Tivo models. That's why my purchase of Lifetime programing for my Series 1, which is still plugging away after more than 14 years of service was a great bargain.
pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #111
slowbiscuit
FUBAR
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern_fan View Post
Lifetime vs. monthly is similar to the prepaid vs. postpaid wireless argument with regards to smartphone subsidies.

If you can afford the up-front cost of the device (Tivo + Lifetime, or a retail-price smartphone) it is nearly always better to go for that option over monthly installments.
Yeah and then OP brings up the tired old 'but what if Tivo goes out of business?' line and it's obvious at that point that he really doesn't care what anyone else here says. Logic has no bearing.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #112
squiddohio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 212
You for got to mention that he thinks math is subjective.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #113
skid71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Yeah and then OP brings up the tired old 'but what if Tivo goes out of business?' line and it's obvious at that point that he really doesn't care what anyone else here says. Logic has no bearing.
From the many pages of evidence, the above is true.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x2
Slide Pro
skid71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #114
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,983
LOL.... The old "is PLS a good deal" topic. Always a reliable way to launch a huge thread that doesn't settle anything.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:23 PM   #115
tarheelblue32
Registered User
 
tarheelblue32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
LOL.... The old "is PLS a good deal" topic. Always a reliable way to launch a huge thread that doesn't settle anything.
I think we pretty much settled that TiVo lifetime service is a better deal than monthly service under almost any scenario.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #116
poppagene
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern_fan View Post
Lifetime vs. monthly is similar to the prepaid vs. postpaid wireless argument with regards to smartphone subsidies.

If you can afford the up-front cost of the device (Tivo + Lifetime, or a retail-price smartphone) it is nearly always better to go for that option over monthly installments.
If you can't afford, it's often best to buy used. In this case buying a used tivo with lifetime. A tivo hd with lifetime can be in the $200 - $250 neighbor hood with used premieres a bit more.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:01 PM   #117
gcondrey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Xfinity (SA/Cisco Market), Memphis
Posts: 9
Locks you into cable company

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
All valid points. I guess another problem I have with it, is that it locks you into the cable Tv company. Once you invest in a lifetime Tivo subscription, you are kind of locked into getting your television from the cable company and not free to move to a cheaper supplier. Which is, i guess, an entirely different argument.
This is exactly my issue. I came from DirecTv and the cost of that, plus Comcast Internet only, got out of hand. Went with Comcast double play to save about $85 a month but hated their DVR. I bought my Roamio Plus and am very happy with it but find Comcast so hard to deal with. Every month they have something wrong on my bill, no two months have been the same since I began 7 months ago.

I may get so fed up with Comcast's customer service that I have to bolt back to satellite. In that case, the lifetime Tivo service would hinder my ability to change.
gcondrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #118
Bigg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hartford- New Haven CT
Posts: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
I think we pretty much settled that TiVo lifetime service is a better deal than monthly service under almost any scenario.
Correct. Monthly is for suckers.
__________________
My Place: Premiere XL4 Lifetime 3/26/13 XFinity
3 TiVo Mini's on MoCA
Formerly Win MCE 3TB Ceton4 XFinity
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:20 AM   #119
slowbiscuit
FUBAR
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcondrey View Post
I may get so fed up with Comcast's customer service that I have to bolt back to satellite. In that case, the lifetime Tivo service would hinder my ability to change.
Um, resale value?

Like I said, in this thread logic has no bearing for some.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #120
aristoBrat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Va Beach, VA
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
yes, but the Roamio has 6 tuners. If they were to start charging for each tuner, I'm sure any savings for the Minis would be quickly eaten.
Ha, maybe that would inspire them to update the cable card/tuning adapter firmwares (in all markets) so that they actually supported 6 tuners!
__________________
Roamio Pro + Mini (x3)
Premier XL 4 + Mini (x2) + Premiere
Premiere (x2) + Series 3 OLED (x2)
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |