TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:07 AM   #61
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

The Tivo HD line was not a bad generation, and all of the lifetimed units I bought paid for themselves. I won't disagree with the Premieres speed-wise but mine has been very solid otherwise, and I fully expect lifetime to pay for itself on that one too.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:57 AM   #62
Finalrinse

I've had (6) TiVo's and (1) Mini so far, all with Lifetime!
1) 2005 TiVo Series2 ST (Sold last year on eBay for a very good price)
2) 2008 TiVo HD (Still have and favorite for traveling with)
3) 2010 TiVo Premier (Sold last year on eBay,started at $300 went for $496)
4) 2012 TiVo Premier 4 (Going up for sale soon, just bought a Roamio)
5) 2013 TiVo Premiere XL4 (Still have and hooked up)
6) 2014 TiVo Roamio Pro (Just bought)
There is a good market for used TiVo's with Lifetime, and it doesn't seem to matter what vintage. Without Lifetime they are almost throw aways.
So, to summarize: If you keep it you make out, if you sell it you make out.
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #63
bayern_fan

Another alternative to the TiVo or Best Buy warranty is buying the Roamio with a credit card (like AmEx) that offers extended warranty coverage on purchases made with said card.
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #64
anthonymoody

The monthly charge from my cable co for a DVR is actually slightly higher than the cost of a month of TiVo + a cable card. That extra savings shortens the breakeven time for me even further.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #65
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern_fan View Post
Another alternative to the TiVo or Best Buy warranty is buying the Roamio with a credit card (like AmEx) that offers extended warranty coverage on purchases made with said card.
This is actually something most people don't know about because they never read their credit card's terms and conditions. Many major credit cards will double the manufacturer's warranty on consumer electronics purchased with the card. Most consumer electronics (including TiVos) come with a standard 1-year manufacturer's warranty, so if you buy it with your credit card you actually get a second year of the warranty for free.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 03-12-2014 at 12:49 PM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #66
laria
Librocubicularist

I always wondered who you contact about that sort of thing if you need it. I always buy stuff with my Amex just in case but I have never had to use it, KNOCK KNOCK, so I'm not sure if you contact TiVo and say hey I bought this with an Amex and they work it out, or do you call Amex and there's some sort of phone tree option for "my electronic thing broke"?
Old 03-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #67
bayern_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I always wondered who you contact about that sort of thing if you need it. I always buy stuff with my Amex just in case but I have never had to use it, KNOCK KNOCK, so I'm not sure if you contact TiVo and say hey I bought this with an Amex and they work it out, or do you call Amex and there's some sort of phone tree option for "my electronic thing broke"?
It's only for certain cards that AmEx offers (such as the Platinum), so it would be good to double-check whether or not your card is eligible for such a benefit.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...-warranty.html

http://creditcardforum.com/blog/amer...nded-warranty/
Old 03-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #68
tarheelblue32

Quote:
It's only for certain cards that AmEx offers (such as the Platinum), so it would be good to double-check whether or not your card is eligible for such a benefit.
Certain Visas and MasterCards also do this. You need to read through your credit card's terms and conditions to know for sure if your card is one of them. If you don't have a copy of the T&C for your card, you can request your credit card company mail you a free copy.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #69
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
There are 49 Amex cards listed as eligible on https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...nty-terms.html so it is not that limited. I have a Blue, and it's listed, so I guess I am good. Thanks for the links, though, now I know how to make a claim.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #70
bayern_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
There are 49 Amex cards listed as eligible on https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...nty-terms.html so it is not that limited. I have a Blue, and it's listed, so I guess I am good. Thanks for the links, though, now I know how to make a claim.
Oh wow, didn't know it was that extensive! Might have to do with the benefit being more heavily advertised on the cards carrying higher annual fees
Old 03-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #71
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Is a failure during the 2nd (extended) year handled by the original manufacturer (TiVo in this case) or by some 3rd-party company the credit card company uses?

I vaguely remember that it's handled by a 3rd-party company (it saves the credit card company money). I don't think I'd want Joe's Tech Shack on Main Street repairing my TiVo...
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:59 PM   #72
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
The Tivo HD line was not a bad generation, and all of the lifetimed units I bought paid for themselves. I won't disagree with the Premieres speed-wise but mine has been very solid otherwise, and I fully expect lifetime to pay for itself on that one too.
So, "lifetimes" often pay for themselves because once you have the lifetime you keep the box longer because, why not? You paid for it already.

If I had lifetime'd my premiere, I wouldn't have got a Roamio. Or if I did, I would have kept the premiere running in a different room so I could pretend I got my money out of it. I doubt I would have sold it. but maybe! It's an option.

Most likely I would have used it instead of getting a mini... and it would have been worse than the mini, but i'd have justified it to myself as being cheaper because I already paid the lifetime on it!

Maybe you didn't do this? For me though, especially going forward, I just need 1 TiVo at a time. So a lifetime is only useful for as long as that hardware is the main tivo hardware I plan to use. Which means I necessarily have to skip generations to get that value out.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:27 PM   #73
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
Most likely I would have used it instead of getting a mini... and it would have been worse than the mini, but i'd have justified it to myself as being cheaper because I already paid the lifetime on it!
There are some advantages to using a premiere over a mini. I love my mini, but it will occasionally drop the moca connection to the Roamio while I am watching live TV on it (I know, I know, "who watches live TV anymore" you ask). It's a relatively minor inconvenience, but if I were using a Premiere with its own dedicated CableCard instead of the mini, I wouldn't ever have this issue while watching live TV.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #74
mae

Like amost everything - it depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
Is a failure during the 2nd (extended) year handled by the original manufacturer (TiVo in this case) or by some 3rd-party company the credit card company uses?

I vaguely remember that it's handled by a 3rd-party company (it saves the credit card company money). I don't think I'd want Joe's Tech Shack on Main Street repairing my TiVo...
I've used the Amex double warranty several times. In most cases, including a netbook, they said it doesn't pay to fix it, and just gave a credit for the purchase price.

In three cases, however, it was a little different. I had an LCD TV/DVD combo and they had me take it to a local authorized repair place. They paid the $75 for an estimate, and since it was higher than the purchase price, they just credited it.

With laptops, they sent a prepaid shipping box to send it to their depot repair. They fixed my son's, but with my wife's they credited the purchase price.

The process is very simple. You can call or go online and start the case. They want a copy of the purchase receipt (and will actually pull the copy of their records if you don't have it and the manufacturer's warranty. In most cases, the credit has been issued in a few days.

BUT, in what we're talking about, a TiVo, there is a parts warranty for a year but only 90 days labor. I'm not sure how AMEX would handle that in the second 90 days or second year. My guess is they would cover the $150 exchange fee, but you would have to check.
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #75
ltxi

I've never lost money, opportunity loss accounted for, on a lifetime subscription so far. My original S1, a Sony 2000, went into service December 2000. Lifetime sub cost $199. It was still running just fine when I pulled the plug and laid it to rest a couple months back....after cutting the copper phone line it relied on.

With the S5s where a failed drive replacement is a simple plug-and-play the lifetime vs monthly decision seems pretty easy.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:16 AM   #76
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
So, "lifetimes" often pay for themselves because once you have the lifetime you keep the box longer because, why not? You paid for it already.

If I had lifetime'd my premiere, I wouldn't have got a Roamio. Or if I did, I would have kept the premiere running in a different room so I could pretend I got my money out of it. I doubt I would have sold it. but maybe! It's an option.

Maybe you didn't do this? For me though, especially going forward, I just need 1 TiVo at a time. So a lifetime is only useful for as long as that hardware is the main tivo hardware I plan to use. Which means I necessarily have to skip generations to get that value out.
What I meant was that I paid lifetime for the HDs then sold them later (I only have the Elite now) - the net cost after resale was less than what it would have cost me over time to either pay Tivo monthly or rent a craptacular DVR from Comcast. The breakeven for me has been roughly 2 years.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:23 AM   #77
Grakthis

Quote:
What I meant was that I paid lifetime for the HDs then sold them later (I only have the Elite now) - the net cost after resale was less than what it would have cost me over time to either pay Tivo monthly or rent a craptacular DVR from Comcast. The breakeven for me has been roughly 2 years.
Yeah... 2 years is the magic number, IMO. If you can get a breakeven of 2 years, then it's always worth it to lifetime. Well, I think, I put it at like 22 or 23 months IIRC? But close enough to 2 years.

Everyone is going to have a different breakeven though.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #78
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
There are some advantages to using a premiere over a mini. I love my mini, but it will occasionally drop the moca connection to the Roamio while I am watching live TV on it (I know, I know, "who watches live TV anymore" you ask). It's a relatively minor inconvenience, but if I were using a Premiere with its own dedicated CableCard instead of the mini, I wouldn't ever have this issue while watching live TV.
I agree there are some advantages, but I don't think they outweigh the cable card cost, the slowness of the UI, the lack of true integration of playlists and recording lists, and the general ADORABLE TINYNESS of the mini.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #79
chiguy50

Quote:
I agree and, what's more, you can easily extrapolate from general TiVo and CTV cost data that for the vast majority of users the break-even point for PLS will be between 24 and 30 months with the average probably on the lower end.

From a financial standpoint there is no question whatever that PLS is a better bargain than monthly service; that principal is applicable to almost any scenario where there is a choice between renting and buying a consumer product. Generally, the only time rental (e.g., monthly TiVo service) is financially advantageous would be in case of a short-term requirement. Otherwise, know that you are paying a premium for the convenience of term flexibility and not having to make a large initial outlay.

Of course, the question of whether to opt for monthly or PLS is a personal decision and there are other considerations involved. But let's put to rest the question of which is the better long-run investment.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #80
boulderskies

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
First Lifetime doesn't really have to cost $500. There is a discount code (PLSR) that drops it to $400. So break even in around 27 months.

I have purchased lifetime on most of my TiVos and I was financially better off in all cases (determination on Roamio pending) but I did go monthly at $6.95 on one and guess what even at that rate it would have been cheaper to have purchase lifetime. And that doesn't count any additional value my TiVos have because they have lifetime.

Of course you are right if a TiVo with lifetime dies outside of it's warranty and you can not fix it you may loose out if it isn't 27 months old, you can buy an extended warranty that even if you figure in it's costs will provide a break even point at around 30 months. In any event everything you buy will dye someday and most likely outside of the things warranty that just the way it works.
Where is this PLSR code found and would I use it?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:08 AM   #81
mpnret

Quote:
I agree there are some advantages, but I don't think they outweigh the cable card cost, the slowness of the UI, the lack of true integration of playlists and recording lists, and the general ADORABLE TINYNESS of the mini.
It's a tough call. I am still sitting on the fence on this one. Initial plan was to add a mini to my Roamio pro. But when I called in to cancel my 1 year old XL4 service they offered me lifetime for $99. I jumped on it being it made it more marketable on ebay. Now I am having second thoughts. If I keep the XL4, cable card is free from Comcast, I have backup unit to Roamio if ever needed, extra storage space, plus 4 extra tuners. I figure I could get $300. tops for the XL4 and the mini w/lifetime would cost $238. So close to a wash there.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:17 AM   #82
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderskies View Post
Where is this PLSR code found and would I use it?
What number do you dial for 911 emergency service? OK, (seriously) the PLSR code is "PLSR", and you enter it when you are activating your new TiVo bought from somebody other than TiVo themselves. It's worked for a long time, and I used it back in January.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #83
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnret View Post
It's a tough call. I am still sitting on the fence on this one. Initial plan was to add a mini to my Roamio pro. But when I called in to cancel my 1 year old XL4 service they offered me lifetime for $99. I jumped on it being it made it more marketable on ebay. Now I am having second thoughts. If I keep the XL4, cable card is free from Comcast, I have backup unit to Roamio if ever needed, extra storage space, plus 4 extra tuners. I figure I could get $300. tops for the XL4 and the mini w/lifetime would cost $238. So close to a wash there.
The problem with Comcast is the outlet fee. A mini gets you out of that fee, which is around $10/mo for most areas.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #84
mpnret

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
The problem with Comcast is the outlet fee. A mini gets you out of that fee, which is around $10/mo for most areas.
I don't pay an outlet fee for the second cable card. I do pay an outlet fee for a HD DTA but that was on the account before adding the second cable card.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #85
javabird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalrinse View Post
I've had (6) TiVo's and (1) Mini so far, all with Lifetime!
1) 2005 TiVo Series2 ST (Sold last year on eBay for a very good price)
2) 2008 TiVo HD (Still have and favorite for traveling with)
3) 2010 TiVo Premier (Sold last year on eBay,started at $300 went for $496)
4) 2012 TiVo Premier 4 (Going up for sale soon, just bought a Roamio)
5) 2013 TiVo Premiere XL4 (Still have and hooked up)
6) 2014 TiVo Roamio Pro (Just bought)
There is a good market for used TiVo's with Lifetime, and it doesn't seem to matter what vintage. Without Lifetime they are almost throw aways.
So, to summarize: If you keep it you make out, if you sell it you make out.
Sorry for the OT question, but how do you travel with the TivoHD - do you take along an antenna?
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #86
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabird View Post
Sorry for the OT question, but how do you travel with the TivoHD - do you take along an antenna?
One could have several hundred hours of recorded shows on one's TiVo HD. You could plug it into a hotel tv or at a relatives house you are staying at and what watch what you want when you want.
I pack mine in my luggage.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:37 PM   #87
Finalrinse

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabird View Post
I live in Michigan but travel to Arizona during the winter. Phoenix has Cox cable so I hook it up, do not use a cable card, just basic cable.
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #88
bklinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
The monthly charge from my cable co for a DVR is actually slightly higher than the cost of a month of TiVo + a cable card. That extra savings shortens the breakeven time for me even further.
Unfortunately, that wasn't the case for me. Comcast removed the monthly DVR rental, but added in a monthly fee for "an additional digital outlet" which, when combined with the TiVo monthly fee, amounted to more than the Comcast DVR rental. Apparently, the "additional digital outlet" fee was "included" with the DVR rental fee!
bklinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #89
bklinc

OK! I'm 73 years old! Don't know how long I'll live, but hopefully my kids can reap the benefits of lifetime TiVo service. I have a Premier and a basic Roamio. I will now purchase lifetime service for both, and pray a lot!
bklinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #90
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
I have two Tivo's and Philly Comcast, and I'm not paying an outlet fee.
brianric is online now   Reply With Quote