TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
JonM in MN

HELP! Connecting Mini wirelessly to Roamio?

Got a Roamio Plus and 3 Minis just after Christmas. Initially bought Powerline ethernet adapters to connect them but it's been glitchy (HD live TV/streams get choppy, SD seems OK) so I'm using MoCa for connecting to two of my Minis.

My problem is the guestroom. I have a cable plate in there but no cable attached at the other end. Have been unable to see how to get a cable to that room, and we're moving in a few months anyway.

Bought one of those tiny TPLINK access points to try to get it on to wifi, but as you probably know I can't run MoCa and wifi at the same time.

Any advice? Anything I'm missing? One of the reasons I went Roamio was for the Mini ethernet connection option, thought it would solve the problem of getting TV in there.
JonM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #2
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM in MN View Post
Bought one of those tiny TPLINK access points to try to get it on to wifi, but as you probably know I can't run MoCa and wifi at the same time.
I'm confused by this. I'm assuming you're using the Roamio to create the MoCA network. It seems you're under the impression that in order to use wireless as well, you have to turn on WiFi on the Roamio. This is not the case. I'm guessing the TPLink access point connects to the Ethernet port of the Mini? The access point would then connect wirelessly with your wireless router, not the Roamio. Assuming a strong WiFi signal, it should work pretty well, but could also be flaky.

Also, theres the usual disclaimer that while a Mini on WiFi using a wireless bridge can work under good conditions, Tivo Support won't help you at all if you call them.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
jtrain

On the Roamio can you enable 'Ethernet + MOCA' and run the third Mini off a Powerline adapter? Just a thought.

Although you may already have your Roamio set up as 'Ethernet + MOCA', esp. if you're running two Minis off of the Roamio already.

I have one Roamio and one Mini (connected over MOCA).

I'm interested to hear what you're able to figure out, moving forward.
jtrain is offline   Reply With Quote