TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-03-2014, 12:22 AM   #1
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

The Amazing Race ALL-STARS - 3/02/14 *Spoilers*

Wow, those teams all finished incredibly close to one another. I've never seen all the teams together at the mat before. It will be interesting at the beginning of next week to see how much time there was between first and 9th.

Jet and Cord really screwed up trying to run to the first challenge. They probably wasted over an hour. Lucky for them, they got a challenge that was right up their alley (putting the car together). And they made a very good decision to give the Express Pass when they did. If you can give it away and the other team will use it immediately so it's out of play, yet it doesn't cause you to come in last, then you've played it perfectly.

I was going to feel really bad for Mark and Mallory if they finished last because they went back for the backpack. But they got to the featherball challenge while all the other teams were still there, so I think it's safe to say they came in last because they sucked at featherball. I was really surprised that Mark was so hung up on his backpack. What could possibly be in there that's important enough to cost yourself a chance at continuing in the race?

Surprised nobody tried the Chinese Cup side of the Detour. I wonder if it was just really far away or if there was something about the description that made the teams decide it wasn't a good choice.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:39 AM   #2
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I was really surprised that Mark was so hung up on his backpack. What could possibly be in there that's important enough to cost yourself a chance at continuing in the race?
I hardly think it's fair to put all of this on Mark.

If your partner asks you to get his backpack while he carries the car, it's your job to see the backpack gets into the taxi unless he takes it out of your hands. You don't just set it down on the ground next to him and then expect him to know where you set it down.

I was really surprised to hear Mallory say that she had Mark's passport. How the heck did that happen? If your partner has both a fanny pack (with the passport) and a backpack, how do you carry one all the way into the taxi but not the other?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:20 AM   #3
DLL66

Quote:
I was really surprised that Mark was so hung up on his backpack. What could possibly be in there that's important enough to cost yourself a chance at continuing in the race?

He said he had his medicine in his bag.
DLL66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:39 AM   #4
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
I hardly think it's fair to put all of this on Mark.

If your partner asks you to get his backpack while he carries the car, it's your job to see the backpack gets into the taxi unless he takes it out of your hands. You don't just set it down on the ground next to him and then expect him to know where you set it down.

I was really surprised to hear Mallory say that she had Mark's passport. How the heck did that happen? If your partner has both a fanny pack (with the passport) and a backpack, how do you carry one all the way into the taxi but not the other?
I wasn't blaming Mark for leaving the backpack. That was clearly Mallory's fault. But they could have just left it and bought Mark a few essentials with their race money, or begged/borrowed to get a few things.

I suspect Mallory had both their passports in a single fanny pack or some other kind of pouch that she keeps on her person at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL66 View Post
Yes, but then when she asked what the medicine was, he said it was for motion sickness. She told him she had some of that she could give him. It wasn't worth backtracking that far to get a bag with some clothes in it.

But ultimately, that didn't really matter. They just sucked at the featherball thing and that's what really cost them. They may have still come in last even if they didn't go back for the bag because they were so uncoordinated at the hacky sack game.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:53 AM   #5
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Mark should have abandoned the backpack. Doesn't matter whose fault it is at that point, race on.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:14 AM   #6
FrodoB

Hazarding a guess, I suspect he had something borrowed from Bopper in there. He was at most 3-4 days removed from losing the ability to race with his best friend, and then maybe he'd have to leave a memento of that somewhere in China.

That, or they were poor enough that it may have been a substantial part of his wardrobe, race or no.
FrodoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:23 AM   #7
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Who went home? The ice storms in my area knocked out the channel all night.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #8
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
Who went home? The ice storms in my area knocked out the channel all night.
Mark and Mallory.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #9
VegasVic
Craps Player

Quote:
Surprised nobody tried the Chinese Cup side of the Detour. I wonder if it was just really far away or if there was something about the description that made the teams decide it wasn't a good choice.
I wondered the same thing. Was it painful? Too far away?
Old 03-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #10
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
To be fair, she was carrying his bag when he said "get my backpack" and she did carry it out to the taxi. She put it on the ground at the taxi, presumably with her own, when they were getting the car strapped into the taxi, and then I guess wrongfully assumed that Mark would take care of his own bag after he wasn't burdened with the toy car anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL66 View Post
She asked him what medicine, and he said "the carsick medicine", and she said she had that as well. So, I don't think they really needed the bag. I'd be really surprised if they really did decide to leave it there if production would not pick it up and give it back to him at the end.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:48 AM   #11
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner
Who needs $1 million (and winning for your friend) when you have your $20 backpack and a change of clothes? I feel terrible for Mallory, she did everything she could to slap him back into reality.

One of the most mentally challenged performances ever by a contestant.
I think that title still belongs to being eliminated with an Express Pass in hand.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #12
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
She asked him what medicine, and he said "the carsick medicine", and she said she had that as well. So, I don't think they really needed the bag. I'd be really surprised if they really did decide to leave it there if production would not pick it up and give it back to him at the end.
I agreeee with everybody that it was a stupid decision to come back for the bag. Talk about having your priorities wrong.

And I was really surprised that the bag was still there when they came back for it.
verdugan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #13
laria
Librocubicularist

I am sure they'll have Mark and Bopper come back for some sort of redemption race on the next one that includes former contestants. Or even the next regular one maybe.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #14
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
And I was really surprised that the bag was still there when they came back for it.
Me too. It was sitting like in the road. I bet production moved it when they left and when they were told that Mark/Mallory were going back for it, they put it back down.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #15
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I was sorry to see them go but they looked like they were not going to be able to mesh personality wise.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #16
Ment

Quote:
I am sure they'll have Mark and Bopper come back for some sort of redemption race on the next one that includes former contestants. Or even the next regular one maybe.
TAR will be sorely tempted but I hope not. Perhaps Bopper and his wife or kid may be in a future one, I'd be okay with that. Leave Mark at home.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #17
stellie93

I loved when Rachael said,"why run, we arent' last." and Brendon said, "but we might be first."
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #18
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I loved when Rachael said,"why run, we arent' last." and Brendon said, "but we might be first."
And they get to split $5K. Kind of a lame 1st place prize compared to most of them lately.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #19
Skyler

Quote:
But ultimately, that didn't really matter. They just sucked at the featherball thing and that's what really cost them. They may have still come in last even if they didn't go back for the bag because they were so uncoordinated at the hacky sack game.
I respectfully disagree. At the end, they still arrived at the mat when the other 9 teams were still there, so they weren't very far behind the rest of the teams. If they hadn't gone back for the backpack, they probably would not have been the last team to finish the featherball thing and get to the finish mat.

(The editors did, however, give us an extra helping of Mallory's mistakes and "boing" sound effects to make us think they were much worse than everyone else.)
Skyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #20
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Why not leave the backpack and go back for it after they get to the mat? I am sure they have downtime then.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #21
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
Why not leave the backpack and go back for it after they get to the mat? I am sure they have downtime then.
They don't. Remember a few years ago one team left a pair of shoes at a challenge and were hoping for a chance to go back and get them, but they couldn't, and ultimately they had to buy a new pair in the next episode. Their time is totally monopolized by production after checking in at the mat. In fact, production doesn't even allow the teams to talk to each other at the pit stops. There have been several episodes where teams will arrive at the airport in the next episode and will be asking who got eliminated, because they're all sequestered during the pit stops.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #22
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
I respectfully disagree. At the end, they still arrived at the mat when the other 9 teams were still there, so they weren't very far behind the rest of the teams.
I wondered if they only brought them back out because of the whole Bopper thing, or if they were all really still there.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #23
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
I wondered if they only brought them back out because of the whole Bopper thing, or if they were all really still there.
I suspect there's some housekeeping that the producers do with each team immediately after the mat and before taking them back to a hotel. If the teams come in 5-10 minutes apart, they can easily deal with each team and send them on their way. But with seven teams all there at once, I suspect it was chaos for the producers, and so the teams were all probably mingling and chatting and waiting for production to do what they need to do, and so they were all still there as the other teams arrived.

So those final three teams could have been 30-60 minutes behind the big group, but the group would have still been there because the producers wouldn't have been able to process them all yet.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #24
mattack

Even though he was being somewhat whiny, I too think she was responsible for getting the backpack INTO the taxi, or at least reminding him RIGHT when they got in the taxi.

The pileup at the mat was very interesting. I've noticed this before, they seem to give a 1 minute time difference between teams even if they arrive closer than that.

I really didn't like the cowboys giving the fast forward to the incompetent cheerleaders(??), but then he seemed to explain it later -- basically 'waste' it now, so as to not have to give it out later. Fascinating.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:30 PM   #25
TampaThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I really didn't like the cowboys giving the fast forward to the incompetent cheerleaders(??), but then he seemed to explain it later -- basically 'waste' it now, so as to not have to give it out later. Fascinating.
Country singers. I'll be honest if the one who was begging them for it asked me for anything - car keys, first born, all my money - I'd give it to her.
TampaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:56 AM   #26
eddyj

Why did they not go back for the backpack immediately when they noticed? That would have made much more sense, instead of going further and then backing all the say back. And they were at the last challenge well before the last two teams, so they had issues there too.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:57 AM   #27
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaThunder View Post
Country singers. I'll be honest if the one who was begging them for it asked me for anything - car keys, first born, all my money - I'd give it to her.
I bet the cowboys got lucky in this pit stop.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #28
LlamaLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
I wondered the same thing. Was it painful? Too far away?
They must not have had a good explanation of what it was, because from our view it was "one pretty tough physical challenge vs lie down for a while and get hickeys on your back". No one even considered it so I don't see how distance could have been factored in. Weird.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #29
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Is it me, but did the prize for winning the leg seem chintzy compared to other seasons? I recall bigger prizes than $2500 each. Also they seem to be having a lot more episodes where they are in the same place for more than one. I wonder if that's also for budgetary reasons?

I thought Mark and Mallory had a chance to pull that leg out since they had the chance to play featherball well while other teams were still playing and didn't a couple of teams not even start playing when they got there? Still, I agree, that there was a chance, if they got their first they could have used the lead to finally get complete the task.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #30
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
I bet the cowboys got lucky in this pit stop.
I bet they didn't!