TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
toothgrind3r

Will a Roamio work with my apartment setup?

Hello everyone!
So I am thinking about getting my FIRST Tivo box...the Roamio Plus is what I've got my eye on. This being my first, please forgive any ignorance I may show, or any stupid questions I may have.
But I wanted to ask here (instead of, say, Best Buy, or Time Warner Cable) because you all are the experts

So this is my current set up in my NYC apartment, wired for Time Warner Cable.
  • Office - This room has a coax cable out from the wall, connected to my modem, which is connected to my wireless router via ethernet, which feeds everything else in the apartment wirelessly (computers, AppleTV, Roku, etc).
  • Living room - This room also has a coax cable out from the wall, which is connected to the Time Warner Cable DVR.
  • Bedroom - This room doesn't have a coax cable out from the wall, so all I have connected to the TV in there is the Roku.

So I guess I should just tell you my ideal setup, and you let me know if it will work?
  • I would like to keep the modem/router in the office, as is.
  • I would like to have the Roamio in the living room, connected to the internet wirelessly.
  • I would like to, down the road, add a Tivo Mini to the bedroom TV, connected wirelessly.

That SEEMS simple enough to me, but the more I read, the more confused I get.
Do I need to have the Roamio connected via ethernet?
Do I need a MoCA connection? (I still don't fully understand what that is)

Thanks for any and all info you may have in advance!
toothgrind3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
ahwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothgrind3r View Post
Hello everyone!
So I am thinking about getting my FIRST Tivo box...the Roamio Plus is what I've got my eye on. This being my first, please forgive any ignorance I may show, or any stupid questions I may have.
But I wanted to ask here (instead of, say, Best Buy, or Time Warner Cable) because you all are the experts

So this is my current set up in my NYC apartment, wired for Time Warner Cable.
  • Office - This room has a coax cable out from the wall, connected to my modem, which is connected to my wireless router via ethernet, which feeds everything else in the apartment wirelessly (computers, AppleTV, Roku, etc).
  • Living room - This room also has a coax cable out from the wall, which is connected to the Time Warner Cable DVR.
  • Bedroom - This room doesn't have a coax cable out from the wall, so all I have connected to the TV in there is the Roku.

So I guess I should just tell you my ideal setup, and you let me know if it will work?
  • I would like to keep the modem/router in the office, as is.
  • I would like to have the Roamio in the living room, connected to the internet wirelessly.
  • I would like to, down the road, add a Tivo Mini to the bedroom TV, connected wirelessly.

That SEEMS simple enough to me, but the more I read, the more confused I get.
Do I need to have the Roamio connected via ethernet?
Do I need a MoCA connection? (I still don't fully understand what that is)

Thanks for any and all info you may have in advance!
There are no stupid questions my friend. You laid out your questions very well as a matter of fact. That said, you can in fact use wireless to stream from your Roamio Plus as I've been doing so with my Roamio Pro/Mini and it works very well. However, the Mini doesn't support wireless so you are forced to either use Ethernet or Moca. Moca simply uses your existing coax lines to transmit data. You might be able to get away with using a powerline adapter which transmits data using your existing house wiring (keep in mind that this is less reliable than Ethernet or Moca).

Hope that helps!
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
toothgrind3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwman View Post
There are no stupid questions my friend. You laid out your questions very well as a matter of fact. That said, you can in fact use wireless to stream from your Roamio Plus as I've been doing so with my Roamio Pro/Mini and it works very well. However, the Mini doesn't support wireless so you are forced to either use Ethernet or Moca. Moca simply uses your existing coax lines to transmit data. You might be able to get away with using a powerline adapter which transmits data using your existing house wiring (keep in mind that this is less reliable than Ethernet or Moca).

Hope that helps!
Great, thanks ahwman!
So, since the Mini/bedroom setup is not a top priority, I think I'm good for now, right? Keep my internet stuff in the office, Roamio in living room connected wirelessly. Does the initial setup of the Roamio need to be via ethernet? I thought I may have read that somewhere before.
toothgrind3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
ahwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothgrind3r View Post
Great, thanks ahwman!
So, since the Mini/bedroom setup is not a top priority, I think I'm good for now, right? Keep my internet stuff in the office, Roamio in living room connected wirelessly. Does the initial setup of the Roamio need to be via ethernet? I thought I may have read that somewhere before.
I sure wouldn't think so. I can't imagine why you couldn't set it up wirelessly right out-of-the-box.
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #5
mattack

Be aware that the Roamio (and Premieres) need essentially a constant Internet connection. Basically, you lose a lot of functionality, and they 'wig out' if the Internet connection is flaky, which is much more likely with a WiFi connection than a hardwired connection.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:29 PM   #6
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Be aware that the Roamio (and Premieres) need essentially a constant Internet connection. Basically, you lose a lot of functionality, and they 'wig out' if the Internet connection is flaky, which is much more likely with a WiFi connection than a hardwired connection.
I agree. I would strongly recommend you don't count on having your Mini connected to the Roamio via wireless initially. TiVo doesn't support that configuration; you can get it to work if you have excellent wireless connectivity without any competition for bandwidth, but it's quite tough to ensure this.

Even the initial Roamio setup will be easier wired; then move it away from your router and use wireless once things are working. Again, if you know what you're doing and what to expect you can do it wirelessly from the beginning but since you're new to TiVo, just take it slowly.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #7
dbattaglia001

Buy a Moca adapter and hook that up to your cable modem / router in the office...then I think you can just connect to internet over moca as the plus has moca built in.
dbattaglia001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
moonscape

The MoCA needs to be installed at the point of entry to your apartment, whether that's your office, living room, or a point prior. I have an upstairs condo with coax in 4 rooms including loft, but no idea where the entry point is for my service. It's not obvious in my case. You might be luckier than I am, but in order to determine this I'm going to need a Comcast truck roll so have been dragging my feet since wireless is working well for me thus far.
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:11 PM   #9
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonscape View Post
The MoCA needs to be installed at the point of entry to your apartment, whether that's your office, living room, or a point prior. I have an upstairs condo with coax in 4 rooms including loft, but no idea where the entry point is for my service. It's not obvious in my case. You might be luckier than I am, but in order to determine this I'm going to need a Comcast truck roll so have been dragging my feet since wireless is working well for me thus far.
That's not true. It can be installed anywhere on your coax network where the modem/router are. Just the moca/POE "filter" should be installed at the POE. I think you mean it should be installed where your modem and router are, correct?
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #10
dbattaglia001

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
That's not true. It can be installed anywhere on your coax network where the modem/router are. Just the moca/POE "filter" should be installed at the POE. I think you mean it should be installed where your modem and router are, correct?
Agreed. Not sure what Moonscape is talking about. Coax comes into my condo, have a splitter behind wall taking one end to living room and other end to bedroom...in living room, coax comes from wall to splitter, with one end of splitter to cable modem and other end of splitter to Roamio Pro, and i connect Roamio pro to router via ethernet and activate moca bridge on roamio pro. Then, in my bedroom, I have coax into a moca adapter which then connect to my Premiere XL. Moca works flawlessly for me.

I did try installing a POE filter but that screwed everything up so I scrapped that.

Last edited by dbattaglia001 : 03-05-2014 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Corrected to reflect coax into Roamio
Old 03-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #11
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbattaglia001 View Post
Agreed. Not sure what Moonscape is talking about. Coax comes into my condo, have a splitter behind wall taking one end to living room and other end to bedroom...in living room, coax comes from wall to cable modem, and i connect Roamio pro to router via ethernet and activate moca bridge on roamio pro. Then, in my bedroom, I have coax into a moca adapter which then connect to my Premiere XL. Moca works flawlessly for me.

I did try installing a POE filter but that screwed everything up so I scrapped that.
So you don't have/need coax connected to the Roamio Pro?
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #12
AdamNJ

tooth,

do you pay your own separate bill for cable or is it 'free' as part of your rent? and can you add any package like hbo...etc?

I am asking those questions to determine if your cable tv service is your own or shared with others. if it is your own, you can easily setup a moca network and be able to hookup your mini down the road only using the existing coax. roamio plus or pro comes with the ability to create a moca network, however, i think u need a wired ethernet connection for that. otheriwse u buy a seperate moca adapter, set it up in your office where u have your router, and then everything on coax will have internet

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #13
moonscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbattaglia001 View Post
Agreed. Not sure what Moonscape is talking about.
Ack! Was thinking about the filter. I've not gone MoCA yet because of my filter issue so that was on my mind

Sorry 'bout that!
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #14
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
So you don't have/need coax connected to the Roamio Pro?
You need to get your TV programs. Am I missing something?
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #15
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
You need to get your TV programs. Am I missing something?
Maybe it was just left out of the post, but there's no mention of a second splitter before the modem and the Roamio. If there is one, I'm surprised it's not causing the modem to have problems.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #16
dbattaglia001

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Maybe it was just left out of the post, but there's no mention of a second splitter before the modem and the Roamio. If there is one, I'm surprised it's not causing the modem to have problems.
Sorry, yeah, i inadvertently left it out of post. Have gone back and edited it. The splitter is before the cable modem and have had absolutely no problems.