TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
tobiasds

Premiere XL4 picture periodically fails

Purchased in apr2013. On first occasion the problem happened, it was with recordings. They were pixelated and not really viewable. The picture on all tuners was bad as well. It happened on all channels both network like nbc and premium like HBO. A reset fixed the problem of the picture on the tuners but the recordings were of course still bad. While this problem was occuring my other tivo an HD XL 150 was fine at another location.

This has happened several times, perhaps 6-8 in the 10 months I've owned it. It's easily fixable with a reset from the help menu but it is annoying if I don't catch it, my scheduled recordings get ruined.

Sorry for bad typing, I'm on ipad. Any ideas about this?
tobiasds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Check your signal strengths. What does the Tivo say on the signal strength menu, on the XL4 and S3? The SNR (Signal to noise ratio) may be a factor. 37(?) may be ideal.

Keep in mind that the XL4 has 4 tuners so its like its splits 3 times internally and each split reduces its strength a little. There may also be splits anywhere along the cable line. Your S3HDXL has another split, with its internal split as well for its 2 tuners.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
tobiasds

3 tuners have a SNR of 37 one is only 36. All signal strengths bounce from 90% to up to 94

Not sure at all what is going on but why would a reset fix the signal strength if that is the issue?

Is there any chance this is a cable card issue? Mystifying because it's so periodic and it never gets better on its own but a reset fixes it for a good while then 4-6 weeks later it pops up again.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:57 PM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Geez, I wish my Tivo HD could go 4-6 weeks without having to be rebooted. In my case the TA is the problem -- losing channels or authorization. Your behavior is puzzling but doesn't seem major by comparison.

The best theory I can offer is an intermittent power supply problem, which would be fairly common on Series 3 models but not on an XL4.

Your signal levels seem ideal, unless they are varying during the time you see problems. Have you checked a channel's signal level while it was acting up? Also look at the RS Error counts at that time.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #5
tobiasds

I will have to check sig str next time it craps out.

Have you heard of problems with the roamio versions of the dvrs? From looking at forums it seems a bulk of the problems are with the same series of dvrs
Old 03-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasds View Post
I will have to check sig str next time it craps out.

Have you heard of problems with the roamio versions of the dvrs? From looking at forums it seems a bulk of the problems are with the same series of dvrs
With my S3, 2 tuners, signals I was getting was at a good 100% OTA, and even the weakest channel was coming in fine with no freezing or stuff (Ch. 28.1.)

With the Roamio, 4 tuners, I am getting 72% on the same channels, and the 28.1 was freezing and stuff intermittently. This channel is one of those low powered stations that was not required to go digital, but they did anyways. Ironically, 28.2, was coming in fine (same station).

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #7
jmbach

Out of curiosity, what CableCARD do you have in the Unit and what firmware revision. Looking at some posts about CableCARD and pixillating, sometimes getting either newer card or updated firmware solves these issues for some. I think we sometimes forget that they play a role in our picture quality. It's just harder to deal with as I think CableCARDs are the bane of the cable companies.