TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-05-2014, 10:53 PM   #1
Neodyn

TivoHD randomly records SD instead of HD

Within the last six months or so both of my TiVoHDs will randomly (couple times a month) record something on the SD channel rather than the HD channel. As best I can tell there's no rhyme or reason to when it'll happen. It's occurred with season passes and manual recordings on broadcast networks and cable networks. The most recent instances I can recall are this week's Justified (SP on the HD channel) and the Grammys (set a manual recording on the HD channel). Both showed in the To Do List as being set to record on the HD channel the evening they recorded. For Justified in the Recording History the HD recording is listed as not recorded/same episode. If this is some fail safe mechanism from the HD channel being unavailable I'd rather it just didn't bother since the SD feeds here are awful.

Some notes: My cable system has different channel numbers for SD and HD channels and the recordings indicate they are from the SD channel, not a wrong signal on the HD channel. Admittedly I could have selected the wrong channel on the manual recordings, but since I never browse any channels below my HD channels I doubt that's what happened. All of my SPs are for the HD channels only and I have no Wishlists.

TIA
Neodyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:12 AM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Try unchecking the SD channels in Settings ... Channels, i.e., so they are not considered "channels you receive".

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:03 AM   #3
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I can never understand why TiVo users leave SD channels selected when they also received the HD versions....it just baffles me....

...but, then....I'm easily baffled I guess.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
timr_42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I can never understand why TiVo users leave SD channels selected when they also received the HD versions....it just baffles me....

I do it for space considerations. I really only record HD for sports and most movies.

Regular tv shows I still do in SD. Plus it allows me to watch regular shows I record on my Roamio on my S2's.
timr_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timr_42 View Post
I do it for space considerations. I really only record HD for sports and most movies.

Regular tv shows I still do in SD. Plus it allows me to watch regular shows I record on my Roamio on my S2's.
Hmmm...I guess I can understand that. However, I delete shows immediately after watching so space has never been an issue for me. But, given the option of watching ANY programs on HD vs. SD, I'd pick HD hands down. SD just looks awful...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
timr_42

Quote:
Hmmm...I guess I can understand that. However, I delete shows immediately after watching so space has never been an issue for me. But, given the option of watching ANY programs on HD vs. SD, I'd pick HD hands down. SD just looks awful...
Oh I delete shows after watching them. I'm just one of the idiots that tivo a lot of stuff. Sports get watched at once, but I still have lots of things from previous seasons because I just don't get around to watch them. I won't even tell you that there are a few shows that have been off the air for quite a while and I still have not watched them. I keep thinking I should just delete them all, but since I do have space....
timr_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
Neodyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Try unchecking the SD channels in Settings ... Channels, i.e., so they are not considered "channels you receive".
Thank you.

Quote:

I can only speak for myself on this, but it's a combination of several things. These TiVos were set up many years ago before my cable system had many HD channels aside from broadcast and thus those SD channels were at one point where several shows recorded. I wasn't aware TiVo would fallback to recording off the SD channels because before a few months ago it had never happened once. And finally, my TiVoHDs are appliances at this point. Shows get recorded, shows get watched, and I don't need to think about altering anything until that fails to happen.
Neodyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
SNJpage1

My wife does the same thing with the comcast box that we also have besides the TivoHD. She goes into the guide and manually sets a recording but selects the first channel in the list. Which happens to be the SD one. Unlike the Tivo you can't remove the sd channels from the line up.