TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
AAinCal

Persistent V53 on a handful of channels

I have TWC in Southern California (specifically Santa Clarita market) with a Roamio Plus and noticed yesterday that I seem to be missing the following channels that I should be getting:

414 Palladia
420 Smithsonian
453 Destination America
469 NBC Sports Network
488 Esquire Network
559 Showtime Too

Is anyone else in my area seeing this?

When I try to tune to those channels, I get the dreaded V53 error. No amount of changing tuners or changing channels up and down helps. I don't normally watch any of the above, so I don't know how long I've had the problem. I only noticed because I was channel surfing and realized that Palladia wasn't coming in when I know it used to in the past. I then walked through my entire channel lineup to see if anything else was wrong and came up with the list above.

I have no problem with any other channel (including SDV channels). I checked the DVR diagnostics for the above, and it reports "yes" for signal lock but "no" for program lock, so I'm assuming the error is on TWC's end. I do have high signal strength and SNR on all channels, so just to eliminate that possibility, I put in an 8 dB attenuator that I happened to have handy. This drops the signal to ~80% and the SNR to low 30s. However, it has no effect on anything. I don't lose any other channels but don't suddenly receive the above. I've also tried power cycling the TA a couple of times and both rebooting and power cycling the Roamio.

I'm going to call the cablecard direct line next week to see if repairing helps, but in the meantime, I just wanted to see if anyone else in my area or on TWC had noticed this problem on those stations. Any other suggestions?
AAinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
mmaben

I recently installed a new Roamio/mini setup and had that same problem. Some channels showed up while others did not. I found (quite by accident) that I had a loose coax connection at one of my boxes. It was about one and a half threads from being tight. When I snugged it up I suddenly got all my channels back. Check all your coax connections. I might be something that simple.
HTH
mmaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
AAinCal

I'm afraid I have a bigger problem now. I emailed TWCable.Help@twcable.com with my problem. They responded by saying they were going to send a hit/update to my CableCard. Well, most of my channels are gone now and show a V58 (not Authorized) message. I tried rebooting the TiVo and TA with no change. I think they managed to unpair my CC.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
HarperVision

That's what it sounds like. I would call the pros at their cablecard hotline to fix what the email folks screwed up.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
AAinCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
That's what it sounds like. I would call the pros at their cablecard hotline to fix what the email folks screwed up.
I'm going to call them tomorrow, since they are only available weekdays during business hours. I should probably have waited to contact them in the first place, but I didn't think asking a simple question by email would end up with my service getting trashed. Oh well, live and learn.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:02 PM   #6
AAinCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAinCal View Post
I'm going to call them tomorrow, since they are only available weekdays during business hours. I should probably have waited to contact them in the first place, but I didn't think asking a simple question by email would end up with my service getting trashed. Oh well, live and learn.
I was wrong about weekdays only. Just called them and they were able to re-pair in about 5 minutes. Everything is back to the way it was. However, the missing (V53) channels are still missing.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:49 PM   #7
HarperVision

What's your Cablecard and TA firmware versions?
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:39 PM   #8
AAinCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
What's your Cablecard and TA firmware versions?
Motorola CC, FW Version: 02.65, 02.01, 03.25
MTR-700 TA, Platform Version: 01.37
Old 03-03-2014, 06:26 AM   #9
TimA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAinCal View Post
I had a similar issue with missing channels and the Comcast CSR told me that I needed to upgrade my channel package even though I told him that I had the channels the previous night! I hung up.

A combination of inserting a 6 dB attenuator and the latest Cisco CableCard Firmware solved my missing channel problem.
TimA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:43 AM   #10
AAinCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimA View Post
I had a similar issue with missing channels and the Comcast CSR told me that I needed to upgrade my channel package even though I told him that I had the channels the previous night! I hung up.

A combination of inserting a 6 dB attenuator and the latest Cisco CableCard Firmware solved my missing channel problem.
Well, everything except 559 is back. No changes in firmware versions. No changes in setup. Who knows what's going on.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #11
rcase13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimA View Post

This is what worked for me. Your return path signal level needs to be above 33. By using the 6db splitter it decreases your forward path signal but INCREASES your return path. In my case my incoming signal was too hot anyways so decreasing it had no negative side. The splitter is at the actual box so it does not cause any issues with internet or digital phone.

I highly recommend calling the TWC cable card number. They are a great group and really know their stuff. It took two trips and each time they told me my signal was great that it must be the TiVo box. Finally I got someone that knew your signal can be too hot and that can actually reduce your return path signal level.
rcase13 is offline   Reply With Quote