I have been having problems since I got Netflix some months ago with my Tivo Series 3 HD INTERMITTANTLY having start/stop (stuttering) of picture+video at intervals of every few seconds when playing back a Netflix video. I think I have finally identified the problem. Please read on.
1) Tivo told me that the problem was not in the Tivo.
2) Comcast speed demonstrated 12 to 14mbps download speed whenever I tested. Comcast said the problem was not them.
3) Netflix said the problem was not with them.
4) Restarting the Tivo had no good effect.
5) Restarting the router+modem had no good effect.
6) I tried turning the "picture quality" on Netflix down from AUTO to MEDIUM. Stuttering was a tiny bit better, but not fixed.
7) I tried turning the "picture quality" down on Netflix to LOW. This further reduced the data download speed and somewhat reduced the "stuttering", but did NOT fix the problem.
8) Since the problem was INTERMITTANT, I looked to see what was going on in the TiVo when the problem was happening. I noticed that when the problem happened, the Tivo was busy DOWNLOADING TWO TV PROGRAMS and at the same time trying to play my Netflix program!
This leads me to believe that the Tivo has inadequate CPU processor speed to be able to accommodate all three jobs at once. What do you guys think about this? is there any way to speed up the CPU in a Series 3 HD? Thanks