TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
bunjicat

Rolled back to 20.3 thread

Woke this morning to find out the Roamio rolled its self back to 20.3. But none of the mini's did! So not a single mini in my house works! WTF Tivo? All of them say software up to date. I am getting tired of this crap.
bunjicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
DaveDFW

My Roamio rolled back (20.3.8) but my Mini did not (20.4.1). Despite the version mismatch my Mini is still operating correctly.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
bunjicat

Hmm. My mini's all say can't find dvr. Also, Several deleted programs came back which also deleted several new programs from my dvr. This is FUBAR.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
bunjicat

Restarted the mini's and they seem to connect ok. The issue has been escalated with Tivo. We will see what happens.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
bunjicat

All my customized guides are gone. Have to redo all channel lists. Call to tech support got me a giant shoulder shrug from Tivo.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
HerronScott

I think this has to be a first at least that I'm aware of (rollback of version).

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
timstack8969

The roll back happened last night on my Premiere. Lost all Favorite channels, DVR capacity was FULL (100%) had to delete all my shows as far back as Christmas time and Clock was wrong (had rerun Guide Set up)
timstack8969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Crap!! I hope mine didn't roll back. My TiVos had been fine with the newer update.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
bunjicat

This has huge implications for Tivo. What this says is there systems in place are faulty. Was this someone with a fat finger or is this software code in place that is going rogue. This should NEVER happen. You should all be very worried because this could happen to ANYONE.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #10
midas
I heard that

I just blocked all network access for my Roamio until this gets figured out.

I'm actually in the process of moving and will be disconnecting all my equipment tomorrow morning and I'll have it disconnected until some time Monday. So I'm not really in the mood for a disaster right now.
midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #11
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjicat View Post
This has huge implications for Tivo. What this says is there systems in place are faulty. Was this someone with a fat finger or is this software code in place that is going rogue. This should NEVER happen. You should all be very worried because this could happen to ANYONE.
If only it could have happened to me when we got the 20.3 update :-). The pre-20.3 version worked infinitely better while I still had the old cable card firmware. My TiVo was a mostly useless pile of junk for the months between 20.3 being pushed to it and Comcast finally being willing to update the firmware.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

I've never heard of them rolling back a software version before. I didn't even think it was possible. Even when I've participated in betas they always warn that once you get the software the only way for them to roll back is for you to mail your entire TiVo to them so they can wipe the drive and reinstall the old version.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #13
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I've never heard of them rolling back a software version before. I didn't even think it was possible. Even when I've participated in betas they always warn that once you get the software the only way for them to roll back is for you to mail your entire TiVo to them so they can wipe the drive and reinstall the old version.
Apparently they lied.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #14
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
I think this has to be a first at least that I'm aware of (rollback of version).
Same here.
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #15
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Probably a new feature available only on Roamios.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #16
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Apparently they lied.
No they didn't. In the past they have never been able to roll back software. If they could of done it, they wouldn't have asked some customers to send their hardware in to get the new software. Apparently, they are able to do it with the current software.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #17
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Probably a new feature available only on Roamios.
timstack8969 posted a rollback yesterday to the premiere 20.4.1 thread.

not having any issues, and don't want to lose my settings - hope i don't rollback.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #18
kbmb

Crap.....so now I have to go back AGAIN through all my Season Passes and un-pad now that the back-to-back padding glitch is likely back?

WTF Tivo?

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #19
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
No they didn't. In the past they have never been able to roll back software. If they could of done it, they wouldn't have asked some customers to send their hardware in to get the new software. Apparently, they are able to do it with the current software.
I think rolling back software has always been possible in certain cases, they just never did it out of policy. There must be something very bad in the 20.4.1 release for TiVo to revert it.

Speaking as a database software developer, as long as the underlying data structures haven't changed in the update, there's no technically reason that rolling back software can't be done.

In layman's terms, think of a software update as changing an object, where changing code is like painting an object while changing the data structures is like carving/whittling the object. If there's just a code change (taking red object and painting it blue), it's fairly simply to simply to revert the change (paint it red again). If there was a database update (object was square and then carved into a circle), it's a lot harder to revert (take all the carved off junks of the glue them back on the circle to make a square again).

Since the 20.4.1 update didn't have one of those "this can take up to an hour or more" screens after the update, it can be assumed that there was no database format update so therefore it was just a code change.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #20
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Since the 20.4.1 update didn't have one of those "this can take up to an hour or more" screens after the update, it can be assumed that there was no database format update so therefore it was just a code change.
Both my Plus and Basic had that screen. It didn't start with that one, but it did show up on both during the update.

-Kevin
Old 04-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #21
kbmb

Also wondering if the rollback is targeting specific units? TSNs? Neither of mine have rolled back yet, and I just forced 3 calls to Tivo.

-Kevin
Old 04-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #22
tarheelblue32

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that I remember seeing that screen after the update.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #23
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Both my Plus and Basic had that screen. It didn't start with that one, but it did show up on both during the update.

-Kevin
If that's the case, rolling back could potentially cause problems.

That could possibly explain why some people have reported deleted shows undeleting themselves as well as the favorite and select channel lists resetting.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #24
kbmb

Quote:
If that's the case, rolling back could potentially cause problems.

That could possibly explain why some people have reported deleted shows undeleting themselves as well as the favorite and select channel lists resetting.
Yeah honestly, starting to think maybe the rollback was not intentional? I figure that it would have to be some pretty serious issues to take the chance to rollback people if it's going to potentially cause issues with recordings.

Would figure they would rather push out a new update to fix the problems before rolling back.

I wasn't having any major issues with 20.4.1 other than the high CPU loads on MRT.

-Kevin
Old 04-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #25
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Also wondering if the rollback is targeting specific units? TSNs? Neither of mine have rolled back yet, and I just forced 3 calls to Tivo.

-Kevin
Maybe they halted the rollback due to the reports of problems. Mine hasn't rolled back yet either, but it isn't scheduled to connect to the TiVo server until around 4 p.m. EDT. I haven't yet had any problems with the software update, so I'm a little wary of this rollback since this is apparently the first time TiVo has ever attempted a rollback and it seems like they don't quite have all the kinks worked out of their rollback system.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 04-11-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #26
ncfoster

My Roamio is still on 24.1. I haven't checked the others yet. Now, I'm afraid of what the next few days will bring. All I know is that everything better be kosher by Sunday night.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #27
andyf

I was Pending Restart on my Roamio and 2 Premieres. Bit the bullet and forced the reboot.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #28
alleybj

I restarted my Roamio and it looks like a rollback

I had gotten the update but now after the restart I've got the screen telling me that it may take an hour to install another "update"
alleybj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #29
andyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
I was Pending Restart on my Roamio and 2 Premieres. Bit the bullet and forced the reboot.
Reboot and re-installed 20.3.8. Now it's stuck on Acquiring Channel Information. I'll wait for a while. Oh it's Done and yes, all my favorite channels are gone.

Edit: It's not just favorite channels, but Channels I Receive seems to be messed up too.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #30
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
Reboot and re-installed 20.3.8. Now it's stuck on Acquiring Channel Information. I'll wait for a while. Oh it's Done and yes, all my favorite channels are gone.
What about selected channels? Did you mess up the channels you selected to show in the guide?

-Kevin