TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
CrashHD
I am the me.

Can I move lifetime to another box with the "change service number" link on tivo.com

Will the "change service number" link in my account on tivo.com allow me to move the lifetime service to another (identical model) tivo box?

I'm considering socketing the prom on my tivoHD, and it would greatly steady my soldering hand if a lifetime service wasn't on the line at the time.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #2
replaytv
Lunatic Fringe

No, you can't move the lifetime yourself. TiVo can if the boxs' lifetime was bought before January 21st 2000.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:07 PM   #3
CrashHD
I am the me.

I had a feeling there was a catch to it. I didn't want to buy a spare box just to try it.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:33 PM   #4
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashHD View Post
Will the "change service number" link in my account on tivo.com allow me to move the lifetime service to another (identical model) tivo box?

I'm considering socketing the prom on my tivoHD, and it would greatly steady my soldering hand if a lifetime service wasn't on the line at the time.
Delete

Old 02-16-2014, 10:09 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:

Have you been in touch with omikron over at that other site which may not be named here?

You might prefer trusting him to do it for you.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #6
CrashHD
I am the me.

I'm aware of his services. He has a reputation for outstanding work. If I hire it done, that will be where I go.

I bought the box lifetimed and broken on ebay, so $100 is about what I've got in it. Spending $100 on a socketing service, or putting $100 worth of box at risk, the alternatives are in financial balance, and I could go either way with it.

I've socketed a few boards, a few years back, and can probably do this ok, and there is a certain satisfaction for a DIY project like this that is tough to put a price on.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
I'm aware of his services. He has a reputation for outstanding work. If I hire it done, that will be where I go.

I bought the box lifetimed and broken on ebay, so $100 is about what I've got in it. Spending $100 on a socketing service, or putting $100 worth of box at risk, the alternatives are in financial balance, and I could go either way with it.

I've socketed a few boards, a few years back, and can probably do this ok, and there is a certain satisfaction for a DIY project like this that is tough to put a price on.
Broken in what way?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #8
CrashHD
I am the me.

Hard drive. It's been running fantastically with the replacement drive.

PSU caps look bad, but are not currently presenting symptoms. They are getting replaced as soon as I have time, or if they begin to present symptoms.