TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
jerrymc
TiVo Tinker

Series 2 6.4a image compatibility?

It's been a couple of years since I had to restore a drive, and I know I used to know the answer to this one (old age I guess). Are the Series 2 DirecTiVo images all interchangeable at the 6.4a version now? I have an image from my HR10 that I'd like to use on my dad's RCA40.

Can anyone confirm this will work?

Thanks!
HR10-250 - 77HD hrs
HR10-250 - 63HD hrs
Philips DSR7000 - 240SD hrs
jerrymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
revansCAAD8

I'm not positive but I believe you can BUT you would likely need to do a 'Clear & Delete' once booted in the RCA40 so it will tie itself with the new equipment. You would loose all recordings/settings.

Robert
revansCAAD8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
jerrymc
TiVo Tinker

For the record, I installed a 6.4a image from my HR10-250 in my Dad's Series 2 DVR40 and it's been stable for a couple of weeks now.
HR10-250 - 77HD hrs
HR10-250 - 63HD hrs
Philips DSR7000 - 240SD hrs
jerrymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
revansCAAD8

Thought so but did you have to do the C&D once booted to tie it to the new hardware?
revansCAAD8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
CrashHD
I am the me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymc View Post
For the record, I installed a 6.4a image from my HR10-250 in my Dad's Series 2 DVR40 and it's been stable for a couple of weeks now.
The 6.4a for the HR10 is a little bit different, but will work on standard series2's. There are minor differences, that I think are dependent on hardware features only present in the HR10. If you press the window/aspect button on the remote, it will display on the screen panel or full display modes, but the presented display will not change. There will be options for digital closed captions, but if you turn them on, they will not work. If you attempt to access any menus pertaining to the OTA antenna input (which is absent on your box), it usually causes the system to reboot.

I've got a box like that that has been running the HR10's version of 6.4a for years. It has an occasional unexpected reboot, but I attribute that to it's nearly full 2TB drive, and/or the possibility of the power supply in the 10 + year old box may be nearing the point of needing new capacitors.