TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #1
aridon

Few Features Missing concerning season pass setup

One thing that Directv does which is awesome is add upcoming shows to the search as place holders so you can set up a season pass type recording for them despite there not being any guide data for that show.

Lets say I see a commercial for "XYZ Program" on ABC that I find interesting and will be part of their lineup in a month or so. If I search on Tivo for that program there won't be anything there. When I had D* the program would show up in search and I could set up a season pass for it despite there not being any programing info for that show. Was a nice feature since its a PIA to have an extra step to make a reminder to check later on if its been added to the guide or not.

When the show started the DVR would then record it just like any other season pass. Sure I could use a wish list for this hoping that I got it and not too many other shows that might share a similar name but that really isn't a full solution.

Another issue with Tivo guide is if you have a season pass, lets say Cosmos since this specifically happened with this show, and the guide info changes slightly the season pass for that show gets borked and will no longer record.

Ok so that is annoying and shouldn't happen. Never happened on my D* DVR. I'll delete the season pass and start a new one. Oh well you CAN'T DO THAT because now Cosmos was near the end of its season and might only have one showing for the show. The system prevent you from making a season pass if there is only 1 show listed in the guide. Even though the show was coming back for its season conclusion the week after it just wasn't in the guide yet.

Bad enough Tivo dropped the original season pass. Double bad I have to record single episodes until the system lets me create another season pass for it a couple of weeks later. Very annoying.
aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Another issue with Tivo guide is if you have a season pass, lets say Cosmos since this specifically happened with this show, and the guide info changes slightly the season pass for that show gets borked and will no longer record.

Ok so that is annoying and shouldn't happen. Never happened on my D* DVR. I'll delete the season pass and start a new one. Oh well you CAN'T DO THAT because now Cosmos was near the end of its season and might only have one showing for the show. The system prevent you from making a season pass if there is only 1 show listed in the guide. Even though the show was coming back for its season conclusion the week after it just wasn't in the guide yet.

Bad enough Tivo dropped the original season pass. Double bad I have to record single episodes until the system lets me create another season pass for it a couple of weeks later. Very annoying.
Huh, that shouldn't have happened. TiVo logic (as best I've been able to observe) doesn't care about how many episodes are left in a season. If the show is in the guide and the guide data is marked as a series, and has the (hidden) series ID field filled out (as opposed to a movie or a special which is internally denoted differently) then it's always let me set a season pass.

I didn't notice any issue with my season pass for Cosmos, but I wonder if the guide data for your provider was more messed up that you'd realized.

Still, it must have been aggravating and it'd be nice if TiVo did a better job of dealing with guide data issues. (And I really liked your first suggestion, the one I didn't quote, about putting "dummy" data in for announced new shows so it's possible to set an SP when you hear about them)
Old 07-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I agree with both of you.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
Diana Collins

I had a problem with Cosmos as well, but in our case it was that the first episode was noted in the data somehow differently from the rest of the series. We recorded Cosmos on NatGeo because there was additional content that wasn't shown on Fox. We were still recording on DirecTV then and it missed the first broadcast of the second episode (fortunately, I was able to pick up a later showing). So, I think it must have been something in the Tribune base data.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote