TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
richhardart

Roamio Plus/ AV Receiver not getting along

My previous setup:

Tivo Series 3 HD connected by HDMI to Pioneer VSX1019AH connected by HDMI to Samsung UN55F7100. No problems.

New setup:

Tivo Roamio Plus connected by HDMI to Pioneer VSX1019AH connected by HDMI to Samsung UN55F7100. No dice.

With the above setup, when I power on the Roamio, initially I see the "Welcome, Starting Up" screen with the Tivo man. After 15 seconds, the video signal is lost. This process then repeats every 2 minutes or so.

If I connect the Roamio to the TV directly, it works without a hitch. I have tried multiple cables to no benefit. I reconnected the Series 3 set and it worked normally. All the other AV input components (AppleTV and Xbox One) are working normally.

What is different about the Roamio that it does not work in the exact same setup as my Series 3 HD unit? How can the receiver be preventing the Roamio from starting up? Is there a setting I can change in the Tivo or the AVR to make this work?

FYI, Kuro-link on the AVR and Anynet+ on the TV are both set to off.

Thanks for any help.
richhardart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
worachj

Maybe the Roamio is using a video format your Receiver/TV can't display(1080P ?).

If your screen is black and you can’t get to the TiVo menus, you can press the RESOLUTION button on the back of the TiVo Roamio Plus/Roamio Pro to change the Video Output format. Continue to press the RESOLUTION button until you see the desired format displayed on your television. (This option is not available on the fourtuner TiVo Basic Roamio.)
Old 04-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
c133roamioerrors

I use a no brainer connection. Tivo roamio pro to tv using HDMI, xl4 to TV using HDMI,
output sound from TV to receiver tv input. I control the tv volume through the receiver.
Prior to getting the TiVo, I had Comcast to tv, tv to receiver. Two pansonic dvr and a dvd player to receiver and receiver to TV. The sound quality was about the same for the four devices.
c133roamioerrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
tazmandman

I just recently upgraded from a premiere 2 tuner to a Roamio with the same Pioneer receiver and have the EXACT same issue.

For whatever reason the signaling is not right between the new Tivo and the receiver regardless of what I try with settings and different cables, etc.

A big bummer.
tazmandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
Bosco2

EXACT same problem! Previously, everything (cable DVR, Samsung BluRay, PS3) all flowed into the Pioneer receiver via HDMI, then a single HDMI connected the receiver to the Samsung TV. Now I have to bypass the receiver altogether to get the Roameo to Play. Bummer.
Bosco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #6
Chris Gerhard

I believe the issue is with the Pioneer AVR and the only possible fix is a firmware update from Pioneer but Pioneer has experience fixing these kinds of issues so it is certainly possible, if Pioneer hasn't already addressed it and therefore has new firmware available now. My non technical understanding is simply it is an HDMI handshake issue and the fact other components will work with the Pioneer AVR isn't proof the Pioneer isn't at fault, the devices that work are just better able to handle this specific Pioneer HDMI variance. This type of problem is less frequent now than in the early days of HDMI but still not completely solved.

Contact Pioneer and see if they have a solution now.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
Marty1781

Try placing a powered HDMI switch or splitter between the two. Monoprice and Amazon have some very reasonably priced ones for under $30. If that fails, you can also try one of these units until Pioneer fixes the issue (though they are a bit pricey):

http://www.vidabox.com/dr-hdmi-docto...tion-tool.html
Marty1781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
dbaps

5 second hdmi lag going through Pioneer Elite SC-82

The same problem as everyone. Very frustrating. Makes me want to go back to tivo-hd.

I have a powered hdmi and will either try that solution or just not send the video through the Pioneer receiver anymore.
dbaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:38 AM   #9
gfgray

I agree a powered HDMI switch is worth a shot.

I used to have a Pioneer VSX512 and it had horrible hand-shaking problems between my PS3 and my Sharp TV. I tried Denon with my next receiver and never had a handshake problem again. But be warned that Denon doesn't give you as many work-around settings to solve HDMI-CEC issues as Yamaha does. HDMI-CEC is the new problem child. But if it doesn't work, its just annoying instead of apocalyptic like the copyright protection handshake.
gfgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #10
tazmandman

In my case when I plugged in my Roamio to my Pioneer it actually make the Roamio go into a reboot loop where it would never pass the initial boot up screen.
tazmandman is offline   Reply With Quote