TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-27-2014, 07:42 PM   #31
srjtr7

I did receive a phone call from Tivo about how it has been escalated and I know "they are working on it"....but come tomorrow it will be a week that 2 out of my 3 Tivo boxes has been mostly useless.

All of my shows unless they where on really basic channels has been missed and not recorded.

And my 2 year old does not understand why she cannot watch any of her shows
1- Series 4- 4 tuner on the way

Sitting collecting dust-----
Tivo Series 2
2- Direct Tivo Series 2 Hughes
srjtr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:28 AM   #32
spocko
TiVo HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
There are no further updates planned for TiVo Series3 boxes. It was a mistake that some people received 11.3.
Thanks for the response Margret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
So sad. Mpeg - 4 would have been nice.
Agreed, this is a bummer, particularly since we know that the MPEG-4 software already exists and is in service in some other markets.
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:32 AM   #33
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
There are no further updates planned for TiVo Series3 boxes. It was a mistake that some people received 11.3.

--Margret
If you never intended to update beyond 11.0k (except for somebody's bone headed hard coding causing the St. TiVo's Day massacre and forcing 11.0m), why does anything beyond 11.0 even exist?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #34
jkeegan

I don't know if the problem that I just realized my TiVo is having is the same as this or unrelated (since it involves a reboot loop), so I posted its own thread for it:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...php?p=10025657

seven syllables
(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
they explain it all
jkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #35
unitron

I wonder just how much trouble they're going to have undoing this "upgrade".

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=515154

Old 02-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #36
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I wonder just how much trouble they're going to have undoing this "upgrade".

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=515154
Yeah, sounds like TiVo bricked a significant number of Series 3's. Inconvenient and annoying, but getting a Roamio Plus for $199 with a free lifetime transfer would make me happy again if it had happened to me.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #37
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Yeah, sounds like TiVo bricked a significant number of Series 3's. Inconvenient and annoying, but getting a Roamio Plus for $199 with a free lifetime transfer would make me happy again if it had happened to me.
Not me.

I'd be telling them I'm not spending a dime, and if they have to come to my house in person to fix it without costing me any of the shows I've recorded, then they'd better pack their bags and tool kits.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #38
CrashHD
I am the me.

Quote:
(except for somebody's bone headed hard coding causing the St. TiVo's Day massacre and forcing 11.0m)
What was that?
Old 03-02-2014, 04:53 AM   #39
ADent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic316
Your Series3 TiVo DVR has been impacted by a recent software update, which may prevent you from accessing certain channels and web videos as well as DVR Expander capabilities. Even if you're not experiencing the problem right now, it may impact you in the near future. To ensure you continue to receive outstanding TiVo service, we will replace your DVR free of charge and transfer your current TiVo service to a new TiVo Premiere or Premiere 4 DVR.
Over on the other thread ( http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=515154 ) there are reports of free upgrade to a Premiere or an extra cost upgrade to a RoamioPro.
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #40
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
If you never intended to update beyond 11.0k (except for somebody's bone headed hard coding causing the St. TiVo's Day massacre and forcing 11.0m), why does anything beyond 11.0 even exist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashHD View Post
What was that?
Hard coding the certificate expiration date that Tivo Desktop used for transfers, when it expired the official methods could no longer transfer the programs.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #41
teasip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADent View Post
Over on the other thread ( http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=515154 ) there are reports of free upgrade to a Premiere or an extra cost upgrade to a RoamioPro.
Ahh, I had missed that particular quote. Hmm, time to give it some consideration. By transferring the lifetime however I'm still left with a perfectly good TiVo HD that I could use for OTA only but which has no further lifetime contract.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #42
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasip View Post
Ahh, I had missed that particular quote. Hmm, time to give it some consideration. By transferring the lifetime however I'm still left with a perfectly good TiVo HD that I could use for OTA only but which has no further lifetime contract.
Looks to me like you'd be left with a backup parts machine for your daughter's TiVo.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #43
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADent View Post
I wonder why TiVo doesn't just push the correct software back to the affected boxes. I assumed they had the ability to work with individual TSNs.
It seems that would be easier (and a lot cheaper) than replacing the hardware.

I wonder if TiVo wants the "broken" boxes back so they can dissect them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #44
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I wonder why TiVo doesn't just push the correct software back to the affected boxes. I assumed they had the ability to work with individual TSNs.
It seems that would be easier (and a lot cheaper) than replacing the hardware.

I wonder if TiVo wants the "broken" boxes back so they can dissect them.
As I mentioned above, there can be more to a software update than just updating the software.

TiVo frequently updates the database format as seen by those post-install "this can take up to an hour maybe more" screens. If TiVo updates the database format and then pushes an older software update that's not aware of the new database format, the result can be a completely hosed TiVo box where the old software can't read the data on the box because it doesn't know how to do so.

To fix this, TiVo would need to revert the database back to the original format. As far as I'm aware, TiVo does not make backups of the database on the box during the update (maybe it should?) which means that TiVo would have to figure out how to revert the database changes made to the box. That would include any changes to the database made since the update. Doing that would take a considerable amount of time and effort, not to mention testing and the like.

If the number of people affected is small enough, than it's cheaper for TiVo to simply provide affected users a new Premiere or Roamio than try to downgrade accidentally updated Series 3 boxes.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #45
dlfl
Cranky old novice

What a catch 22. Can this possibly be defended as a reasonable design?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #46
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
As I mentioned above, there can be more to a software update than just updating the software.

TiVo frequently updates the database format as seen by those post-install "this can take up to an hour maybe more" screens. If TiVo updates the database format and then pushes an older software update that's not aware of the new database format, the result can be a completely hosed TiVo box where the old software can't read the data on the box because it doesn't know how to do so.

To fix this, TiVo would need to revert the database back to the original format. As far as I'm aware, TiVo does not make backups of the database on the box during the update (maybe it should?) which means that TiVo would have to figure out how to revert the database changes made to the box. That would include any changes to the database made since the update. Doing that would take a considerable amount of time and effort, not to mention testing and the like.

If the number of people affected is small enough, than it's cheaper for TiVo to simply provide affected users a new Premiere or Roamio than try to downgrade accidentally updated Series 3 boxes.

Which partition(s) would be affected by the database format update?

Old 03-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #47
CrashHD
I am the me.

I wish they'd hosed one of mine. I'd take the upgrade, reimage my drive, and consider it as having made off like a bandit.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #48
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Wherever the meta-data is stored.

Theoretically a software downgrade and then a clear and delete everything should work (depending on how thorough a C&DE is), but at that point recordings would be lost anyway.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:09 AM   #49
ggieseke

Quote:
The database is thousands of interlinked "tyDb" files scattered across the entire MFS directory structure. You would probably have to back up all the MFS application partitions before upgrading.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #50
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
I wish they'd hosed one of mine. I'd take the upgrade, reimage my drive, and consider it as having made off like a bandit.
I am happy continuing to use my TiVoHDs but if I lost one or both due to a TiVo error and was given a newer model for each loss also with lifetime, that would sure be acceptable. I just checked both of mine, both are on 11.0. It appears this error affected a very small group but if you are part of the group, it is important that it be addressed quickly.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #51
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you'd lose service on the old one, though, and they might even refuse to reactivate it.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #52
SullyND
L: 28-31

Didn't someone report they had to turn in their THD?
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #53
canbonbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
Didn't someone report they had to turn in their THD?
Yes I reported that. I have to send back my Tivo HD. Not only that, the return label came before the new Roamio was shipped. So they really want it back.

Also they have given me 30 days to transfer the shows to the new box. So during that period both will be active.
canbonbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #54
edso

Tivo broke my Series 3 ... partially... for right now.

I received an email on Friday from Tivo letting me know that I was in the process of having my series 3 broken in some vague fashion. I called in and got the information on my upgrade paths. 1) Premiere for $0 2) Roamio for $99 3) Roamio Plus for $199. (No Pro option) all with moved lifetime service.

I decided over the weekend to go with the plus. Monday evening I tried to start moving my programs off of the DVR. (and DVR Expander).

I could see the list of programs, but could not download any. Kept getting a "file cannot be found error", even though I was able to see and select the files.

I tried from TivoDesktop 2.7, 2.8, and 2.8.2 all on different machines. No luck.
I logged in via the web interface, and got the same error.
I had no problem downloading from my old series 2.

Now I'm getting nervous. I try restarting the series 3, now I cannot see any external DVRs or servers or netflix, etc.

Tried rebooting again, same thing.

Also, can no longer connect with any of the versions of TivoDesktop to the device (including upgrading to 2.8.3 and the addon patch).

If copying over a crossover cable doesn't work when my new roamio gets here, I am going to be out over 500 programs. Arghhhhhhhh.

Recording and playback still seem to work as do connecting to Tivo either wired or wirelessly.

Anyone see this variant of the problem?
edso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #55
unitron

I wonder what percentage of the HDs that got the bad roll-out were lifetimed?

Old 03-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #56
dlfl
Cranky old novice

@edso,

Apparently, based on the post just before yours, Tivo thinks you can transfer files from your broken box to your new one. If that turns out to be impossible, I would challenge them about how to avoid losing your recordings.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #57
edso

@dlfl

When I originally spoke with Tivo, they suggested that I act as quickly as possible to transfer the shows, unfortunately transferring via TivoDesktop failed as I described before rebooting the series 3 and TivoDesktop cannot even see the box after rebooting. So without a third party option, Tivo is saying my only hope is if the crossover cable works from Series3-Roamio Plus
edso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #58
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
@edso,

Apparently, based on the post just before yours, Tivo thinks you can transfer files from your broken box to your new one. If that turns out to be impossible, I would challenge them about how to avoid losing your recordings.
It's pretty pitiful that recordings made on VCRs are more likely to survive than recordings made on the supposedly more advanced DVRs.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #59
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Is a crossover cable still needed? I thought the Ethernet port on Tivos auto negotiate. Is this not true?

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote