Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Intelligence 1/20 Episode 3

"Mei Chen Returns" I was not sure if that's the actual title and didn't want to spoil anything.

Yes, I am still watching this for the eye candy of Josh Holloway.

This is still a pretty bad show, but it is much better than the pilot. I am hoping that what they did at the end is actually the end of Mei Chen and that she doesn't become a character that pops up again.

I like Josh and the other actors, and have seen them do great work. I blame this on really bad writers.

I did like this quote from one of the reviews -

Quote:
The idiom “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me,” came to mind when I was watching Intelligence this week. The series marks the second time this season I had high hopes for a CBS drama only to be disappointed.

And while Intelligence is a better show than Hostages was, that, my friends, is setting the bar pretty low. Instead of having the intrigue of Alias or the humor of Chuck, Intelligence has settled into being a middling, by-the-numbers drama. Even this week’s episode title is boring and uninspired. “Mei Chen Returns” is the equivalent of “See Jane Run.”
http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...isode-103.html

So I guess that is the title of the episode. Um. Well that take some of the fun out of it right there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post

This is still a pretty bad show,
I'm with you, it's a pretty bad show, but I'm still watching, although, not for the eye candy of Josh Holloway.

It cracks me up how Gabriel was able to "disappear" to Mexico. You mean his chip can't be pinged or something?

I hope Mei Chen is gone for good.

And I like how the boss lady from CSI told the CIA that if the CIA wanted good email encryption, they should've gone to her b/c her team is the best. That might be the case, but they still got all of the super secret information stolen and they didn't even notice.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
Doggie Bear

Re Mei Chen:

Spoiler:
Looks like she is not gone, as the actress is credited in four episodes on IMDB.

Doggie Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
JYoung
Series 3

You know, they emphasized the total secrecy of Gabriel's chip in the pilot and yet now, it seems that everyone and his mother knows about it.

Doesn't that kind of kill his effectiveness?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
I'm with you, it's a pretty bad show, but I'm still watching, although, not for the eye candy of Josh Holloway.

It cracks me up how Gabriel was able to "disappear" to Mexico. You mean his chip can't be pinged or something?

I hope Mei Chen is gone for good.

And I like how the boss lady from CSI told the CIA that if the CIA wanted good email encryption, they should've gone to her b/c her team is the best. That might be the case, but they still got all of the super secret information stolen and they didn't even notice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggie Bear View Post
Re Mei Chen:

Spoiler:
Looks like she is not gone, as the actress is credited in four episodes on IMDB.
I was thinking as I watched "geesh, not another super villian arc where the female villian and the male hero have to clash a few times then realize they have feelings and then clash some more" I am tired of those.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
smbaker

Another completely forgettable episode...

Gabriel's chip's primary contribution seemed to be to listen to the recording, then access surveillance footage, finally concluding whatshername was at the Chinese embassy. His chip remains about as useful as agent McGee (admittedly, agent McGee can be pretty useful, but is able to interface through commodity keyboard and monitors).

The other contribution of the chip to the episode was to be trivially hackable. Fortunately the second generation chip is also trivially hackable.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #7
dylanemcgregor

I've never heard of this show, but got to say I'm a bit disappointed, since I thought for a second they were making a new season of this show

dylanemcgregor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #8
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

As stupid as the other ones were, I thought this one was better. Maybe they had to use some stupid plot devices to set up the mythos and can now focus on story.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #9
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

Well there are a bunch of us that like the show. So I hope it keeps going and gets a little better writing.
DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #10
WO312

My Tivo said this was episode 106. I wonder if that's a mistake or they are playing them out of order. The title was confusing to me because I had no idea who Mei Chen was. Until I saw her.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:04 PM   #11
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
My Tivo said this was episode 106. I wonder if that's a mistake or they are playing them out of order. The title was confusing to me because I had no idea who Mei Chen was. Until I saw her.
Which Tivo do you have? Apparently there are two "different" kinds of Tivo data that Tivos get, and the 'older' kind has these kinds of goofs more often than the newer kind? (e.g. if you use the program kmttg, it will FIRST download the program info, which will be the possibly-wrong info, then in another step, get the updated info, which is often more correct...)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:04 PM   #12
mattack

BTW, I'm still watching this show, but I disagree with the quote from the article in the first message -- Hostages was WAY more entertaining.. I wish it hadn't ended on a cliffhanger though, I thought it was going to be a standalone miniseries.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #13
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Got halfway through this episode before I realized I had been browsing on my tablet instead of watching it. I'm bailing - enjoy, all!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #14
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

It's ok, mildly entertaining. Not sure I'll stick with it though. The chip in his head appears to be an excuse for the writers to have Gabriel do whatever the bleep he wants because of it. The chip seems to do EVERYTHING.

I thought the actor who played Broyles from Fringe played basically the same part here. And his voice inflections were very similar to Broyles in Fringe.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #15
eddyj

There is no doubt they are planning to bring her back. They did nothing to disable her chip, all they did was delete the stolen data from it. So she is still fully functional, just not able to invade Gabriel's chip.

Still watching, but with low expectations.

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #16
bryhamm
randomize

Yeah, the show is losing me quickly. I'll give it a couple more eps, but it is not looking promising.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:12 AM   #17
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
This got me thinking if I ever watched a show just because I found someone attractive. I can not think of a single instance. You would think the ultimate example of this would be a show like Baywatch. I don't know that I ever made it through an entire episode of Baywatch, and it was filled with hot chicks in swimsuits.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #18
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

i'm out, enjoy.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #19
kettledrum

"clockwork *.* files deleted" (or something close to that) on the screen gave me a chuckle.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #20
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
This got me thinking if I ever watched a show just because I found someone attractive. I can not think of a single instance. You would think the ultimate example of this would be a show like Baywatch. I don't know that I ever made it through an entire episode of Baywatch, and it was filled with hot chicks in swimsuits.
I don't know if I can think of any other show I have done this for. Wait, The Mentalist. That's sort of a half and half.

Even with watching it for eye-candy I fell asleep 20 minutes in, woke up and replayed the last bit again. The 30 second jump on the TiVo is great!

Old 01-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #21
cheesesteak
Meh.

I actually like Mei Chen more than I like Gabriel. At least she follows orders and isn't a whiny diva.

Why can't Phlox give Gabriel the same upgraded chip (or better) that he gave Mei Chen? Seems like he whipped that one up in his spare time.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #22
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
It's ok, mildly entertaining. Not sure I'll stick with it though. The chip in his head appears to be an excuse for the writers to have Gabriel do whatever the bleep he wants because of it. The chip seems to do EVERYTHING.
You can say the same thing about Person of Interest! Not like I'm intentionally really 'defending' either..
Old 01-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #23
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Which Tivo do you have? Apparently there are two "different" kinds of Tivo data that Tivos get, and the 'older' kind has these kinds of goofs more often than the newer kind? (e.g. if you use the program kmttg, it will FIRST download the program info, which will be the possibly-wrong info, then in another step, get the updated info, which is often more correct...)
This was on the Premiere. I wouldn't call that old.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #24
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
You can say the same thing about Person of Interest! Not like I'm intentionally really 'defending' either..
POI was much better when the machine simply gave them numbers.

Now the machine seems to be much more capable, including transforming one character into an expert assassin. I worry it's the beginning of the end for POI.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #25
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
POI was much better when the machine simply gave them numbers.

Now the machine seems to be much more capable, including transforming one character into an expert assassin. I worry it's the beginning of the end for POI.
So you're saying it's going from POI to POS ??
Old 01-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #26
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
When Gabriel and Riley popped into the room with Mei Chen why didn't they just pump 4 or 5 bullets into her? That would have been the prudent thing to do.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:54 AM   #27
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
When Gabriel and Riley popped into the room with Mei Chen why didn't they just pump 4 or 5 bullets into her? That would have been the prudent thing to do.
I wondered that, myself.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #28
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

I'm still amazed at their story line has him in horrible mourning for his wife who had left him what, 4 years ago? Seven? I can see being sad and depressed, but not overtaken with unabiding, crippling grief after all that time.

And, btw, why don't they give him as good a chip as they gave to Mei Chen? <g>

Still think it's a POS, yet I want it to work, so I keep watching.

What's up with his hair? The back and side looks like a wig that's on wrong and is just weird.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #29
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megory View Post
I'm still amazed at their story line has him in horrible mourning for his wife who had left him what, 4 years ago? Seven? I can see being sad and depressed, but not overtaken with unabiding, crippling grief after all that time.
I think it was six years. Six years off the grid and she never left the tiniest, teensie-weensiest clue that she was alive and hadn't joined the bad guys.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #30
LlamaLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by megory View Post
What's up with his hair? The back and side looks like a wig that's on wrong and is just weird.
Yeah the hair on the back of his head is definitely weird looking. So weird I asked my wife is perhaps he has really thin hair and is wearing a toupee (or some other hair appliance) to give the front fullness.

I earned an elbow for disrespecting Josh.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote