TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #1
jerrydif

Tivo with temporary Comcast hookup

I have a Roamio in one room connected to a mini via ethernet in a second room.
I use an HD antenna and receive only OTA broadcast channels. I'm new to Tivo's and everything set up easily and works great (with very minor glitches). I'm very pleased with the setup and happy to be rid of cable bills. Here's the rub. I called to switch my internet service to Comcast (strictly wanted internet). They offered me a deal for 20mpbs internet, limited basic cable and HBO as a bundle for one year at a price cheaper than I can get for internet alone. Seems like a no brainer, but I have a few questions that hopefully someone familiar with Comcast/Tivo can answer. 1) I understand I can get a free cable card but since I don't plan on paying their HD technology fee will the broadcast networks be HD as they they are now using the antenna? 2) If the price isn't reasonable after the first year I plan on going back to the antenna - does installing/removing cablecards have any negative impact on Tivo? 3) I assume I will not have to pay Comcast any sort of fee (equipment or otherwise) for the Mini, correct?

There are several benefits to hooking up Comcast to the Tivo (HBO/On-demand/etc). Any other potential downsides anyone sees. I can always get a cable box, hook Comcast up to a spare HDMI on the TV and leave the Tivo setup the way it is using the antenna.
jerrydif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #2
ncfoster

1. I don't think that I pay an HD technology fee. It may have been one of the fees that I had to fight about getting removed, but I don't think so. I actually think it is one of those fees that the rep on the phone tried to convince me I needed to pay, but I did not. If I recall correctly, it is what you have to pay for renting their HD equipment, versus an SD DVR, etc.

2. I've never heard of a negative result from removing a CableCARD. You just lose the channels that you need it for.

3. Correct. Comcast charges nothing for the Mini. They are not part of that equation. As I've seen someone else describe it, they don't even know that you have it. From my perspective, that is a big deal. I was tired of paying Comcast for a second CableCARD and digital outlet fee on top of the Tivo fees. I went with a lifetime service on my Mini, so it is free to use as long as it lasts.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
tarheelblue32

I'm sure Comcast would love to be able to charge you an extra outlet fee for each Mini if they could, but there is absolutely no way of them knowing that you are using it, so they can't.

I think you're right about this 1-year deal being a no-brainer for you. I'd go for it if I were you.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote