TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-30-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
Rosenkavalier
Call 1-600-DOCTORB!

Long-term TiVo user reassessing his options (debating new unit)...

I've been a TiVo user since 2001, when I got a Series 1 that I hacked to get a larger hard drive. I eventually upgraded to a TiVoHD with a CableCard and have been reasonably happy ever since.

I used to be on Charter Cable, and eventually got onto Verizon FiOS. Until just recently, I haven't had any issues. But now I've hit my first MPEG4 channel that will not work with my TiVoHD, and it's making me rethink how I use my TiVo overall.

I'm watching less commercial TV - I actually downgraded my TV package with Verizon earlier this month - and am watching more streaming material. But there are certain sports that keep me tied to cable for now. The 120 GB hard drive in my TiVoHD frequently maxes out on certain weekends, which forces me to delete programs or offload them to my computer when I don't have the time.

So I'm trying to think about the pros & cons of upgrading to a new TiVo box. I'd appreciate it if those who have some recent experience with newer hardware could chime in and add their own items or point out things I have wrong.

Pros for Upgrading:
-- More responsive
-- More tuners
-- Much more built-in storage (I would probably look at the 1 TB version)
-- Can watch/record MPEG4 channels from provider
-- Has newer built-in features
-- Is currently supported
-- Is HD-native

Cons for Upgrading:
-- Spending $$$$ on new hardware
-- Unclear how stable current platform is
-- Not certain if I'd have to get a contract for service
-- Older platforms don't have pop-up ads
-- Still based on existing platform (meaning, needs tuning adapter, etc.)

Anything else I'm missing?
Old 05-30-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

-Updated User interface, with more changes coming soon(ish)
-Updated apps e.g. Netflix, Hulu, Youtube... supposedly new Amazon coming.
-The plus and pro come with built-in streaming to IOS devices, with Android support theoretically coming.
-All Roamios support drop-in drive upgrades, no copying/etc... some folks just get the basic and upgrade storage, if they are fine with feature level of basic.
-Support for Mini's
-RF remote (dont have to point it at device, works under a blankie, through a cabinet)
-Can upgrade to RF Slide Pro remote
-Lower power consumption
-Either pay for monthly service, or pay for lifetime.

Stable? Its stable.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
HerronScott

Since you have reduced your commercial TV watching and are watching more streaming do you feel that any of the new features of the new models improve how you watch TV (such as the new clients).

If not then I would just upgrade the hard drive in your existing HD to a 2TB drive for $100 (assuming you have lifetime on the HD) to eliminate your disk space issues.

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosenkavalier View Post
Anything else I'm missing?
You said you had FiOS, so you won't need a tuning adapter.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
tarheelblue32

Quote:
You said you had FiOS, so you won't need a tuning adapter.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:27 PM   #6
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Since you have reduced your commercial TV watching and are watching more streaming do you feel that any of the new features of the new models improve how you watch TV (such as the new clients).

If not then I would just upgrade the hard drive in your existing HD to a 2TB drive for $100 (assuming you have lifetime on the HD) to eliminate your disk space issues.

Scott
That would solve his space issue but not the MPEG4 issue.

OP - I also have an HD that I'm happy with. A while back I added a Premiere 4 and I really like the 4 tuners. I use the SD interface because I had rebooting issues with the HD interface, so for me it's like an HD but with 4 tuners. It serves all my needs. If you don't feel like spending the bucks for a Roamio, you might consider a Premiere 4. I'm pretty sure they handle MPEG4, but I'm not positive. You could probably pick up a used Premiere 4 with lifetime for a reasonable price.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:44 AM   #7
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post

OP - I also have an HD that I'm happy with. A while back I added a Premiere 4 and I really like the 4 tuners. I use the SD interface because I had rebooting issues with the HD interface, so for me it's like an HD but with 4 tuners. It serves all my needs. If you don't feel like spending the bucks for a Roamio, you might consider a Premiere 4. I'm pretty sure they handle MPEG4, but I'm not positive. You could probably pick up a used Premiere 4 with lifetime for a reasonable price.
The Premiere handle MPEG4 just fine, the HD could handle MPEG4 if Tivo would just push a software update. But, if you're going spend $$$ get a Roamio the hard drive is easy to replace and TiVo going to support it longer.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #8
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post

Oops, you are right. I missed that as an issue for him. A used Premiere with lifetime would be a lower cost option for him.

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #9
chicagobrownblue

Have you called up TiVo to see what they have to offer in the way of 2- or 4-tuner Premieres? It sounds like the Premiere satisfies your needs for the lowest price and if you use the SDUI you will be fine. If you don't need OTA and cable simultaneously, a new basic Roamio adds 4 tuners, 75 hours of HD disk space and will let you move programs between your two TiVos. You might want to sign up for TiVo promotional emails.
RCN Signature HD but no premium channels
Panasonic TC-42PX14 42" 720p plasma HDTV
Sony BDP-S360 Blu-ray Player Refurb $59
chicagobrownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #10
trip1eX

What else are you going to do if you don't go Tivo?
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:26 AM   #11
PaJo

I really do understand how you feel, I still have an old DTV 8 channel output switch mounted in an out of the way place from the old days when we had 4 Dtivos. I think every one hacked their Series 1 Tivos back then and with DTV would also do the "Move" to get networks. I am considering switching to Verizon business internet only, and your post adds more to consider. Upgrading the drive on our HD Tivo was pretty easy but now mostly "deleted" recordings, we really do not have much of anything new on the Tivo these days. If you upgrade your hard drive, you can use it for other things should you change your mind at a later date.

Like you, we stream most of what we watch, my wife said if I cut the cord completely she would not mind as she watches very little TV. For streaming, we like the Roku and for all our home based media we have an obsolete Pivos set top HD media player that bitstreams the HD audio as well plays our backed up Blu-Ray folders from a network file server.

One of the alternatives I am looking into is the HDHome, but we have been using a Tivo for so long, it may seem odd not to have the Tivo interface for those times we watch TV. The other day I had to use the Tivo search just to find a network channel I wanted to check out, I had no idea where it was and scrolling through 400+ channels was tedious - 400+ channels and we are lucky to occassionally watch 1 or two yet our Comcast bill has grown to be the second highest monthly expense we have, 2013 we paid more to Comcast than the gas company to heat our house and here in Pennsylvania we do get some cold weather.

ON Edit: When I upgraded the hard drive in our HD Tivo I did not have to do anything with the cable card, everything worked OK, I may have lost some recordings but do not remember. It has been a while since I went to the larger hard drive but there are good guides on upgrading the drive.

Last edited by PaJo : 06-03-2014 at 04:38 AM.
PaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #12
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
-- Older platforms don't have pop-up ads
Yeah they do. TiVo added them all the way back to the Series 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #13
Rosenkavalier
Call 1-600-DOCTORB!

OK, time for a follow-up. First, I appreciate all of the feedback, and I wanted to let you know what I decided (and what I'm currently in the middle of doing).

I decided to go ahead and stay in the TiVo ecosystem/"family" and go with a Roamio - I chose a Roamio Plus. I also decided to jump in and try a Mini so I could set up a TV in a spare bedroom, which I've been putting off for the longest time.

I won't go into details here, but I used a discount code from Forum User 'spherular' which made getting the Roamio and Mini - both with Lifetime service - very reasonable. That's why I decided to go that route instead of looking at older units (like the Premieres).

The Roamio install was pretty painless - the initial startup did require a few updates, but now on my third TiVo I kind of expected that. I'm really liking the new interface - here are few things I've noticed just in the one evening I've had with it so far (remember, this is going from the TiVoHD interface):
-- I had forgotten how nice it can be to have the 'inset' window of Live TV while going through the menus. When visiting someone else with a cable box, I see that, but I always forget it when on my TiVoHD.
-- I like the new 'Mini-Guide' (three channels) that you can get while leaving Live TV full screen.
-- I'm still exploring the integrated Search (there was an initial attempt at this on the TiVoHD, but it's nothing at all like this). I especially like that if a show you've searched for isn't currently on the air, there's a single-click option to set up an auto-record Wishlist.
-- I like how details of recordings are better exposed: you can see the size of the file on the disk, and get an estimate of how much space it is taking up. On my TiVoHD, I had to hack together a web-based solution for this.
-- One of the things I've always done is auto-download video podcasts, but the TiVoHD management interface for this was horrid. The new version seems quite useful.
-- I've turned off my TiVoHD, so I can't confirm this: but I think that I used to be able to use the Channel Up and Down buttons to move between recorded programs within a Group (all recordings of Supernatural, etc.). On the Roamio, it definitely doesn't work.
-- The MPEG4 channel I couldn't get is coming in perfectly. (The channel is Willow TV, BTW.)
-- I misstated the 'popup ads' item in my initial list: the TiVoHD had them, but if they appeared (and in my case, they were oddly infrequent), they were not much more than a line of text above the scrub bar. From what I've seen described in the newer versions, they seem to be more intrusive - but I haven't had a chance to encounter one yet.
-- All in all, the overall look is such a major improvement, and a pleasure to look at.

I am still working to get the Mini set up (I have a post in another forum about that), so I can't comment about any experience there. I also did go ahead and get a Slide Pro remote, as I was tired of the hunt-and-click on typing. It's very nice - with the only caveat being that in my limited testing so far, it seems to have interference problems with my laptop if it's on and open on my lap while I have the remote within about a foot of the laptop.

Oh, and I was worried about having to go through a re-pairing process on my CableCard...I put it in during Guided Setup, and everything worked - including the extra channels that are not in the default package. I'd heard that this usually works on FiOS, but now that I've seen it I'm very happy.

One last thing: after swapping the Roamio in for the TiVoHD - I noticed how much quieter the living room was. I had noticed before that there was noise coming from my AV stack, but I guess it hadn't completely dawned on me how loud the TiVoHD was - it may have been a bad fan, but it's remarkable how I'm now hearing other sounds (like the fans in my plasma TV!).
Old 06-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #14
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Amazing how much improvement has happened in like eight years, eh? (I'm not being sarcastic)

I miss the page up-down to move between shows within a group, too!

After a couple days, you'll see more ads. It's kinda the nature of the beast these days it seems. My LG smart tv has a big graphic AD On its main screen that make tivos text ads look pretty unobtrusive.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #15
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
-- I've turned off my TiVoHD, so I can't confirm this: but I think that I used to be able to use the Channel Up and Down buttons to move between recorded programs within a Group (all recordings of Supernatural, etc.). On the Roamio, it definitely doesn't work.
Yep, this is an annoying omission in what they call the HDUI (high-definition user interface).

Quote:
-- I misstated the 'popup ads' item in my initial list: the TiVoHD had them, but if they appeared (and in my case, they were oddly infrequent), they were not much more than a line of text above the scrub bar. From what I've seen described in the newer versions, they seem to be more intrusive - but I haven't had a chance to encounter one yet.
I've noticed no difference at all. (Well, the shape is different -- and they've changed the shape at least once. But the content is the same.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #16
poppagene
User

If you don't already have lifetime on the tivo hd, customer service will likely make it available to you for $99 when you call to cancel service on the box. If they don't offer it ask for it if you want it. The lifetime service will increase the resale value of the tivo hd or make the tivo hd more readily usable if needed in the future. The Tivo hd has over the air recording capability which is lacking in your model of roamio and may be useful at some later date.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #17
Bigg

I'd upgrade to the Roamio. It's supposed to be a really amazing box, and you can branch out or consolidate with Minis...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is online now   Reply With Quote