TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
SoBelle0
What's next?

Downton Abbey - Season Finale - 02/23/2014

Fast Forward a few months... I was actually hoping for a moment with Edith and her Aunt in Geneva.

And, the biggest problem was that it didn't seem like 8 months had passed for anyone else. The same men were still after Mary. Rose's ball was still being planned - I never realized it was going to be so many months later. That gentleman that likes Isobel didn't appear to have made much progress with his flirtations, and then suddenly we get to see it play out. That all kind of annoyed me.

Love, always love, seeing Violet and Cora's Mom together. What a hoot!!
Paul Giamatti was fun - and I enjoyed that whole story with the American's and all their money versus the English hanging onto titles and both being so bloody obvious about it all. Not like you would have seen in the first season, to be sure.

OH! and Mr. Carson and Mrs. Hughes. Wahoo!

What else? I know more of you watched this...

SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

I can't believe I haven't seen this yet. I thought when I acquired them it wast he whole season. Apparently not.

But the good news is that I have at least one episode to still watch!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
I can't believe I haven't seen this yet. I thought when I acquired them it wast he whole season. Apparently not.

You missed the Christmas episode. In the U.K., there were eight episodes in season 4, plus the additional 90 minute Christmas special that aired about six weeks later (it actually aired on Christmas day).

In the U.S., there were also a total of 8 episodes in the season, but that 8 episodes included the Christmas special.
Basically, the U.K.'s eight episodes were edited into seven episodes for airing on PBS, and the 90 minute U.K. Christmas special aired as the U.S.'s episode 8.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Yep, that explains it. And my episode tracker app doesn't list it so I didn't go look for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
SoBelle0
What's next?

I hope you enjoy it!

What has happened to Michael Gregson? I hope we learn, one day, or see him again.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
Satchel

I didn't think it was 8 months later...more like 5-6. Lady Edith said she had to leave soon as she was showing and could only hide it behind the dresses for so long before it got silly.
I took that to mean she was 3 months pregnant, give or take.

I thought the letter subplot was a bit contrived. Seemed too broad for Downton Abbey.
I also think Bates got off too easy. I really thought the new lady's maid would have overheard the truth from Anna and told Thomas.
I guess not.

I guess we've seen the last of Alfred and Ivy. I'm interested to see where Daisy ends up. I wouldn't be surprised to see Daisy take over the kitchen if anything happens to Ms. Padmore.

The season ended with pretty much everyone in a happy place...except for Edith. Quite a change from the last season-ender.
And it'll be interesting to see if anything becomes of the Carson/Mrs. Hughes relationship.

And Thomas is getting tiresome. You can only be sinister and lurking for so long before it gets old. He needs a story.
Satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:29 PM   #7
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchel View Post
I didn't think it was 8 months later...more like 5-6.
I think there was a title card actually saying it was 8 months later. Then this was reinforced by Edith/Rosamund commenting that they had stayed away longer so Edith could wean the baby herself.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:33 PM   #8
Satchel

Well...that's what I get for not paying attention.

BUT...now that you mention it, Edith did say she stayed until the baby was weaned...that would be a while after the birth.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:01 AM   #9
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post

I believe the DVDs and Blu-Rays for the series were released before the Christmas episode even aired. This allows them to package the Christmas episode separately, so they can make even more money on the disc sales. My wife's BR disks from Amazon UK did not include the Christmas episode. The season 4 DVDs and BR discs were released 11 November. The Christmas 2013 episode was released Dec 26 for an additional £5.00 / £7.00 ($8.34/$11.67 for DVD/BR).

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #10
etexlady

I was somewhat disappointed with this whole season. It seemed it was, perhaps, primarily a setup for what's expected to be the final one. Loved seeing Carson and Mrs. Hughes.
etexlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:03 AM   #11
dtle

I was disappointed, too, mainly because the whole Mary-Matthew dynamic was gone.

I didn't pay much attention to the show when watching, so I couldn't tell the difference between Gilliam / Blake / Napier. (Though the desire of suitors was the funniest line of the season.)
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:41 AM   #12
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etexlady View Post
It seemed it was, perhaps, primarily a setup for what's expected to be the final one.
I don't think that's expected...?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #13
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
I don't think that's expected...?
i expressed my opinion on this year's finale in another downton thread:
Quote:
i will trust the writer's won't disappoint for long...if they do, it's off to syndication after next season's finale.
the writing was off all season, but the lack of a definitive climax or cliffhanger in the finale was so different than past seasons, i'm hoping for a return to normal in season 5.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:48 AM   #14
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by etexlady View Post
I was somewhat disappointed with this whole season. It seemed it was, perhaps, primarily a setup for what's expected to be the final one. Loved seeing Carson and Mrs. Hughes.
I don't suppose it matters that the ratings for this year were higher than any previous year? With that in mind, I don't think anyone associated with the show thinks of this season as a disappointment.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Old 02-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #15
Bob Coxner

Ratings are one thing, quality is another. I enjoyed the season but I thought the quality had a definite drop.

I agree about the Thomas story line. The writers should go big with him or go home. Take your pick.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #16
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I loved the 1st seasons, this one I barely liked.

Very poor writing and plots.

Was glad there was some movement with Carson and Hughes.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #17
QueenBee
Granny Geek

Add me to the people who found this year disappointing. It was ok. But I don't think there was ever a time where I absolutely couldn't wait for the next episode. I don't care that much for Rose, and I agree about the whole Thomas thing getting tiresome. Shirley Maclaine was brilliant in the previous season. This time her character just seemed mean. And worst of all, Lady Grantham's lines weren't nearly as funny this year.
QueenBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:14 AM   #18
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
The writers should go big with him or go home.
For clarity, since there have been a number of comments on "the writers". There is only one writer: show creator Julian Fellowes.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #19
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
For clarity, since there have been a number of comments on "the writers". There is only one writer: show creator Julian Fellowes.
don't shows often credit the main contributing writer, while a team of writers in the background assists? that's why i use plural.

example - "the newsroom" most often credits aaron sorkin as writer, while he's commented on the team of writers that works furiously behind the scenes.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:07 PM   #20
nirisahn

How many years have passed in the show's timeline? Hasn't it been about 10-15 years total? Yet there's nothing about the characters or what's going on in their lives that shows that that much time has passed. The show started pre-WWI and isn't it sometime in the 1930's now?
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #21
jeff92k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirisahn View Post
How many years have passed in the show's timeline? Hasn't it been about 10-15 years total? Yet there's nothing about the characters or what's going on in their lives that shows that that much time has passed. The show started pre-WWI and isn't it sometime in the 1930's now?
It started the day of the Titanic sinking in April 1912. Currently, I think they are in the early 20's - so it's been right at 10 years elapsed across the four seasons that have aired.
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #22
Bob Coxner

I thought there was either a mention or a note on the screen that we are now in 1923.
DirecTV since 1999
Old 02-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #23
Satchel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
I thought there was either a mention or a note on the screen that we are now in 1923.
Interesting...so we've advanced 11 years in the show.

Seems like the timeline is skewed for me.

The time between Matthew being discovered as heir in 1912, him moving to Downton, courting then marrying Lady Mary and having a child, it does't seem like that took almost 10 years. I know he died a while back and the kid looks to not be two years old yet.

But I could be just looking at it wrong.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #24
Satchel

Good wiki here that explains the entire series timeline and character development.

http://downtonabbey.wikia.com/wiki/D...bey_(programme)
Old 02-28-2014, 11:20 AM   #25
SoBelle0
What's next?

Cool! Thanks for sharing that.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #26
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBee View Post
Add me to the people who found this year disappointing. It was ok. But I don't think there was ever a time where I absolutely couldn't wait for the next episode. I don't care that much for Rose, and I agree about the whole Thomas thing getting tiresome. Shirley Maclaine was brilliant in the previous season. This time her character just seemed mean. And worst of all, Lady Grantham's lines weren't nearly as funny this year.
Spot on.
Rose is meh. Seems contrived to attract a younger demographic.
Shirley's character had her moments seeing through her suitor from day one, but yes she was just mean this season; I preferred her simply being outspoken in marked contrast to the reserved Brits.
The Daisy kitchen intrigue was fun.
Mary should go for the pig wrestler.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #27
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Spot on. Rose is meh. Seems contrived to attract a younger demographic. Shirley's character had her moments seeing through her suitor from day one, but yes she was just mean this season; I preferred her simply being outspoken in marked contrast to the reserved Brits. The Daisy kitchen intrigue was fun. Mary should go for the pig wrestler.
It is not the demographic. It is the show perspective. It is all about change. The old guard versus the new. There is only so much new you can derive from the older folks.

That being said. She is a bland character.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:56 AM   #28
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBee View Post
Well, my wife and her Downton Abbey "BUNCH" would certainly disagree with you. She had more people involved than in years past, and none of them even hinted or suggested that this was in any way less entertaining than previous series. Maybe for the people on this forum it wasn't as good, but for the average member of the audience, it still delivered. I don't watch it if I can avoid it, and she doesn't watch some of my shows.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #29
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Some thoughts...

We both thought this season was a bit flat, but still pretty good. The letter plot line seemed a bit contrived just to get Mary not to give away Bates. Still it adds to my view of Edward, Prince of Wales being a tool (yes I know it's fiction). I love Violet, but she should have given up on the Branson bit by now. Sorry, but Shirley looks like a farking mess. I can't see Edith without thinking of Downton Sixby.

And as to the timeline, Isis should be in a walker by now.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:10 AM   #30
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Soze View Post
Some thoughts...

We both thought this season was a bit flat, but still pretty good. The letter plot line seemed a bit contrived just to get Mary not to give away Bates. Still it adds to my view of Edward, Prince of Wales being a tool (yes I know it's fiction). I love Violet, but she should have given up on the Branson bit by now. Sorry, but Shirley looks like a farking mess. I can't see Edith without thinking of Downton Sixby.

And as to the timeline, Isis should be in a walker by now.
That Prince of Wales was a tool. :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_VIII#Romances

Edward's womanising and reckless behaviour during the 1920s and 1930s worried Prime Minister Baldwin, King George V, and those close to the prince. Alan Lascelles, Edward's private secretary for eight years during this period, believed that "for some hereditary or physiological reason his normal mental development stopped dead when he reached adolescence". George V was disappointed by Edward's failure to settle down in life, disgusted by his affairs with married women, and was reluctant to see him inherit the Crown. "After I am dead," George said, "the boy will ruin himself in 12 months."
DirecTV since 1999