TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Late Night with Seth Meyers - Forever Thread SPOILERS

So, Seth Meyers had his first "Late Night" last night. Who watched? I did.

Monologue was basically "Weekend Update" while standing up. Still, it had its funny bits. I wonder if it's always gonna be like that. It seems so unnatural while standing.

Speaking of sets, his desk set is really small with a tiny seating area for guests. What's up with that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I'm an old school SNL viewer and could never get into the newer iterations of Weekend Update. And the times I saw Meyers do it, he could never even get a chuckle out of me...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
SoBelle0
What's next?

So did you watch last night? or no?

I enjoyed it, and agree that the monologue seemed like WU. I didn't realize that, at the time, though.

And, the space does seem really small! They weren't even comfy looking chairs for the guests.
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:57 PM   #4
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Before I realized I was running late for work this morning, I was going to post:

Carnac with the envelope to his head: "Weekend Update without pictures".

- Woosh -

The question, of course, being "What was Seth Meyer's first monologue on Late Night?"
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

I watched, and though I like Seth Meyers, he seemed quite awkward during the monologue. Didn't seem to know what to do with his hands.

And I agree about the furniture. Both the guest chairs and his desk that doesn't extend to the floor scream "I carried these up from my basement until the real furniture arrives".

I hope it all gets better.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #6
Jayjoans

I gave up during the Venn diagram bit, totally unfunny and unclever, and he couldn't do anything about it but slog through the slides.

I came back for a little bit of Armison, but that was lacking too. Sleep was the best choice.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #7
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Noticed the same things as many.

Monologue was hard to watch, Just a WU, some funny bits, but wow the audience sure didn't give him any support.

And what's up with the desk? I know the camera only picks up so much, but gees, was there even a potted plant? And the crappy Office Depot chair for the guest?
SNL puts more into their stage than that.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #8
Michael S

Thought pretty much the same thing as everybody else. I didn't see him do the interviews though. Because half though I switched over to Craig Ferguson.
Michael S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:56 PM   #9
dfergie

Hey they had the Stargate, I knew NBCU recycled ... truthfully the set looked very bare and 60's, Jimmy must have taken all the late night budget with him.
dfergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:20 AM   #10
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
Lori
Social Defective

I love Seth Meyers, but I thought this was pretty rough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #12
mlsnyc

I remember watching Jimmy Fallon's first Late Night show and it looked obvious to me how nervous he was. But he improved to the point where the powers-that-be felt he now was ready to take over the Tonight Show.

I felt Seth was more comfortable and confident than Jimmy was in his first show. I'm not saying he was good, just that comparatively speaking he seemed better prepared. I'm optimistic but only time will tell.
mlsnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:44 AM   #13
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
Before I realized I was running late for work this morning, I was going to post:

Carnac with the envelope to his head: "Weekend Update without pictures".

- Woosh -

The question, of course, being "What was Seth Meyer's first monologue on Late Night?"
I haven't seen the intro yet but being a Lorne Michaels influenced show does the intro involve the host of the show running around Manhattan in the middle of the night peering through the windows of various bakeries and eateries. SNL has that and the Tonight Show now has this. What's the deal?
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #14
Swirl_Junkie

Spike lee directed Fallons new opening. Not sure who's idea it was.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #15
USAFSSO

Two nights, Ouch.

USAFSSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:18 PM   #16
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsnyc View Post
I remember watching Jimmy Fallon's first Late Night show and it looked obvious to me how nervous he was.
I remember Conan's first Late Night, and he was painfully awkward, and it took him a rather long time to get comfortable.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:43 PM   #17
DougF

I watched to the first break and it was really awkward. Also, I got a serious laugh-track vibe.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:31 PM   #18
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
Monologue was basically "Weekend Update" while standing up. [...] It seems so unnatural while standing.
I was thinking the exact same thing when I watched it.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:35 AM   #19
getreal
postcrastinator

I can't stand his delivery ... it's too much yelling (like the way he used to close Weekend Update).

I can't stand to look at his face or hear his voice for an hour each evening. Five to ten minutes once a week was enough for me.

I'm out.

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #20
vertigo235

I admit that I had my doubts. Honestly, I think I've only been watching to see Fred Armison be a band leader as I was surprised to hear that was who was going to be his band leader. The interactions between Seth and Fred are the only things that I find interesting or entertaining so far about this show.

vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:31 AM   #21
mwhip
All better

He needs to figure out how to do his monologue different. Sort of how Kimmel knew he was not a stand up and does it with pics and video. Meyers is doing the monologue like he did the news and unless he is sitting down it won't work. They need to start experimenting and seeing what works and go with that.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #22
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I think he'll find his comfort zone eventually.

However, just as an idea: why not just go in the direction of The Daily Show? Give him an actual anchor desk and let him do a "Weekend Update" like news segment. He could then stay behind the desk for the interviews, just like Jon Stewart does. Why do they have to stick with the typical late night stand-up monologue?
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:32 AM   #23
DougF

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post

However, just as an idea: why not just go in the direction of The Daily Show? Give him an actual anchor desk and let him do a "Weekend Update" like news segment. He could then stay behind the desk for the interviews, just like Jon Stewart does. Why do they have to stick with the typical late night stand-up monologue?
I'm guessing Lorne wouldn't allow that. Why tune into SNL for Weekend Update if you can already see it nearly every other night of the week?
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #24
mwhip
All better

Quote:

That would work. Just wonder if Lorne thinks there is not enough "news" to go around for that format. I also think sending Fred out to do bits could be productive as well.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:36 AM   #25
vertigo235

I dunno, I think there is plenty of news to go around. That would be pretty short sighted to limit Seth like that, you would think they should go with what works especially this early in the game.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #26
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Give him an actual anchor desk and let him do a "Weekend Update" like news segment. He could then stay behind the desk for the interviews, just like Jon Stewart does.
Just to play devil's advocate, Chevy Chase and Dennis Miller both tried that.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #27
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Last night during the monologue there were several times where he read the cue card and then said something like, "Oh, I really like this next one," or "Oh, this is a great story." Just seemed very unpolished. You'd never see a stand-up comic telling his audience that they're going to love this next joke. You're just setting yourself up to fail when you do that.

I do think he'd be better delivering the monologue from a desk with the aid of pictures, just like WU and TDS. There's no reason he should be required to do a stand-up monologue.

And the "Fake or Florida" game was too similar to Adam Carolla's "Germany or Florida" game.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #28
vertigo235

You could tell he was attempting something new last night, he was trying to involve the audience more, he didn't do that the first night.

It will take a bit for him to get his legs, that's for sure.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:54 AM   #29
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Friday's monologue was a big improvement over Monday's (I hadn't watched any of the shows in between).

I had never seen Michael Che before, but he was really funny!
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote