TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-21-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
lessd

Interesting E-Bay TiVo offer

I have never saw this type of help being offered to purchase a TiVo before, the help cost is $250.

E-Bay http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-Promo-D...item4ad06e961e

Or E-Bay item 321324488222

Old 02-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

This guy is trying to rape peoples' wallets even more than the cable companies do.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
SOCATivo

Wow. What a scam. And (s)he's had one taker too.

Last edited by SOCATivo : 02-21-2014 at 06:00 PM.
SOCATivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
waynomo
My One Time

For that kind of money I would be more than happy to offer telephone support.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #5
mrizzo80

The seller is a TCF member.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #6
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Cool

Quote:
Although I will be able to help you with your TiVo requirements, to ensure that there is enough for everyone I can only guarantee limited access to each buyer. You will only be eligible for One (1) TiVo Roamio DVR, One (1) TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, One (1) TiVo Roamio Pro DVR, Four (4) TiVo Mini, One (1) TiVo Stream. If you want help getting more products then you will need to buy more of my time. Please contact me if you have any questions.

BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #7
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

I have emailed the guy running that ad on eBay. He implies he is a big wig at a store "like" "Best Buy" and gets promotional codes from TiVo. He sells you the code, you call TiVo and get the deal. Looking at his eBay feedback it's %100.
So is he full of it? IDK. He did tell me he will take offers on his codes so you might not have to pay the sticker price.
If you toftt and use him tell him Z sent you so I get credit with him for if I use him in the future myself.
Let the buyer beware!

In theory that would work. I got 2 codes from the survey panel offer. I used one and passed the other to a guy that pm'd me to death asking for a code. I threw him a bone, did not charge him for it, guess I could have but that's not me.
He sent me a message telling me the code I gave him got him a Roamio and a Mini.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Last edited by Joe01880 : 02-21-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:01 PM   #8
Loach

I won an auction for one of his codes. All in I paid less than the recent advisory panel offer. If you think the price is too high but you're interested you should make him an offer. No idea why you guys are having such a hissy fit about an eBay listing. Don't like it don't buy it. Simple as that.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:23 PM   #9
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I won an auction for one of his codes. All in I paid less than the recent advisory panel offer. If you think the price is too high but you're interested you should make him an offer. No idea why you guys are having such a hissy fit about an eBay listing. Don't like it don't buy it. Simple as that.
Details?
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:19 AM   #10
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Details?
From my email;

Quote:
The code you will get allows you to get lower prices on tivo.com - the prices listed in the auction. If you want to buy just one TiVo Roamio Pro you will get it for $699.99 + tax. This is a saving on the retail price of $400. Should you want to buy TiVo Mini's you can combine the order and make additional savings using the one code. The code is one time use, so it is best to consider future purchases now otherwise you'll need to acquire another code. Most people only want to buy one Roamio, but the code allows you to buy one of each model (Pro/Plus/DVR), so you could buy another unit at the lower price and sell it yourself to help pay for your own unit - or you could keep it!

As my listing states, I'm open to all offers so if you want to make additional purchases later, or buy 2 codes I can take that into consideration. My other listing has multiple codes on offer, but you can make an offer there.

Quote:
The way these codes work is that it takes some of the unit price and some off the lifetime. The Pro retails for $599 (not $699) with lifetime for $499, this code takes $200 off each. The discount works differently for each of the units, but it is a deal when you buy the unit only - so you can't upgrade existing units to lifetime with this code - sorry. (I had asked if he had a code for lifetime service only)

$99 a year on service is better than this code as it only gives you $10/mo for the first year. ($99 yearly was the plan I had on my Premiere that I transferred to the Roamio Pro I bought directly from TiVo)

You have a number of options to do better than you are...depending on how far you want to go!

You could sell your premiere on eBay - that frees you up to get a new roamio or mini. I sold my XL4 with lifetime for $520, my stream for $80 and then bought a pro for $699 with this code. Small amount to pay for a big upgrade. I also have 2 minis which saves me on cablecard fees from verizon.

You could sell your monthly roamio pro on ebay...you would likely get $500+ as it's a monthly not lifetime unit. Then buy a pro with lifetime with a code for $699 and in two years you've paid for the lifetime vs. your $99 a year you have right now. If you wanted to get minis you could save on cablecard fees too.

One more thing...this code lets you buy a base roamio DVR, a plus AND a pro as well as up to 4 minis. You could buy all that and sell the surplus, paying for what you need with the profit on the difference - obviously that is not an option many people would take, but it maximizes the value of the code!

The codes are for people that work in the retail business for TiVo (think Best-buy). They encourage people in the business to own a unit, by offering lower prices. I work in the industry so that's how I have a few codes...just finding people that value them is tricky and that's why I'm eBay.

If you are interested, you could make an offer...you may find me in a good mood!!
Like I said, if y'all use the guy please tell him Z sent you

Detail enough?

BTW, I did tell the guy I would turn people on here to his eBay code offers, he never said not to share the info he gave me.....
I also did NOT start this thread!!!

Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Last edited by Joe01880 : 02-22-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #11
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

The above does beg the question, should a "big box" retail guy who is getting promotional codes from TiVo be selling them on eBay to line his own pockets? If its cool with TiVo, YES! If its not cool with TiVo, NO! Unless your the guy who gets a code below his asking prices and scores the TiVo equipment you want way cheaper then what you could normally buy if for, in that case HELL YEAH its cool, WAY COOL!!!
I personally have not used this guy, I have simply passed along the info he gave to me to answer questions I asked him/her. Just tell him Z sent you and now that its out here if TiVo has a problem with the person selling these codes they can look in to it.

Enjoy!

Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Last edited by Joe01880 : 02-22-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #12
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Details?
It's should be quite easy to look at his completed auctions on eBay and see what the going rate for the codes has been. There's also a thread in the eBay auctions section of this forum where this is further discussed.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

The whole thing makes no sense. Sure the prices sound good, but once you tack on the $250 the cost exceeds what you would normally pay.
Roamios aren't sold for the retail price any more.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:39 PM   #14
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The whole thing makes no sense. Sure the prices sound good, but once you tack on the $250 the cost exceeds what you would normally pay.
Roamios aren't sold for the retail price any more.
Except that likely nobody is paying close to the asking price for the codes. It is a "make offer" listing. When I was paying attention the auctions were going off in the $80-100 range. Code cost of say $90 plus Roamio Pro at $699.99 with lifetime is $789.99. That's $10 cheaper than the advisory panel cost was. Where else I can get that deal right now?
Old 02-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #15
davezatz
Funkadelic

Registered TiVo resellers get special rates. The details are here:
http://sellmoretivo.com/
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #16
JoshDB

Ive got a base Roamio sealed in box for sale 575 OBO includes shipping. No taxes. I bought a code from dude and looking to pass on some savings and offset cost of some of the code price. Its listed on this forum under ebay listings. Though I dont have it on ebay bc of hefty fees per asking price
JoshDB is offline   Reply With Quote