TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-02-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
DLBoone

Strong Signal, NO Picture, OTA

Hi, I'm new at this and forums. My 1939 brain is not the same as my 7 grandchildren's. They came into this world with a Ipod in one hand, me, behind a plow. I just went from my old tv to a new 70""smart tv", my wifes 54th wedding anniversary gift, and canceled my dtv account. Put up antenna, and pluged in my new Tivo Roamio OTA. Scanned for channels. Two of them have the same frequency and signal strength,(72%) but completely different programs. One of them comes in loud and clear, while the other one reads "No Signal". My question is, 1: Why can't they both come in loud and clear? 2: the signal strength is always 72%, never higher or lower, Why?
DLBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLBoone View Post
Hi, I'm new at this and forums. My 1939 brain is not the same as my 7 grandchildren's. They came into this world with a Ipod in one hand, me, behind a plow. I just went from my old tv to a new 70""smart tv", my wifes 54th wedding anniversary gift, and canceled my dtv account. Put up antenna, and pluged in my new Tivo Roamio OTA. Scanned for channels. Two of them have the same frequency and signal strength,(72%) but completely different programs. One of them comes in loud and clear, while the other one reads "No Signal". My question is, 1: Why can't they both come in loud and clear? 2: the signal strength is always 72%, never higher or lower, Why?
Perhaps re-orienting the antenna will bring in one better than the other and change the situation enough to give you some new data on the problem.

Are these two channels, supposedly on the same frequency, also using the same channel number but different sub-channel numbers, as one gets when a particular station sends out more than one signal? Like one of them is 55-1 and the other is 55-2, even though they may call themselves Channel 10 because that's what it was in the pre-digital era?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:43 AM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I got listing for 2 channels on 2 different frequencies and only 1 gets the picture so the other gets unchecked in the channels list.

The other channel in the list with the same channel could be on an old frequency and no longer broadcasts and switched to the other frequency.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
DLBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Perhaps re-orienting the antenna will bring in one better than the other and change the situation enough to give you some new data on the problem.

Are these two channels, supposedly on the same frequency, also using the same channel number but different sub-channel numbers, as one gets when a particular station sends out more than one signal? Like one of them is 55-1 and the other is 55-2, even though they may call themselves Channel 10 because that's what it was in the pre-digital era?
They both come in only at the same antenna position.
They are the same frequency 29, same signal strength 72 but different channels, 29-2 KBFXDT and 46-1 to 4 KFTRDT. My channel 58-1 (720p)and 58-2 (480i) are the same all around, no problem there, We watch the higher def. 720p.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
DLBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I got listing for 2 channels on 2 different frequencies and only 1 gets the picture so the other gets unchecked in the channels list.

The other channel in the list with the same channel could be on an old frequency and no longer broadcasts and switched to the other frequency.
Thanks for the info. everyone. I see that this is nothing new for OTA signals now-a-days. Not like the old antenna day (Ch. 2,4,7 or 11) Period. I was just hoping to get both channels because they have different programs.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

The channels such as 2-1 are called virtual channels. Its whatever the station chose to set.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #7
unitron

Are you geographically half-way between those two transmitters?

Mount Wilson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFTR-DT

Breckenridge Mountain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KBFX-CD

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote