TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #31
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Any thoughts in how long to give it? We're basically at the 3 hour mark and no sign of coming out of GSOD.....

I'm about ready to pull it and put the 1tb hitachi back in.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #32
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Well hallelujah!

Just as I was about to give up and pull the drive, voila, on comes the TiVo boot video. And things look good. Reporting 318 HD hours. SP list is there.

Incidentally, for David, it's 11.0m-01-2-652.

The only weird thing is some of the TiVo Central shortcuts don't work. TiVo 4 and 6 go to the Find Programs menu instead of jumping down the next level. That's fine though.

Oh, and the WD20EURS is infinitely quieter than the Hitachi drive I had.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:30 AM   #33
jlb
NCC-1701-D

No signs of any problems whatsoever. I think the scan did it's thing and all is well for now.....
Old 07-10-2014, 10:08 PM   #34
lyee

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! I had tried upgrading my TivoHD from 1TB to 2TB about 2 years ago and it was never stable and I reluctantly reverted back to the 1TB disk. I remember there was a VERY long thread and various discussions to get around the extra partition if recordings were to be saved on an already upgraded HD. With World Cup, Formula 1, Wimbledon, etc. recently, my TivoHD was deleting a show with every new recording...
Luckily, I found this thread and sucessfully performed the upgrade. It took about 4 hours to complete. Now I can delay my Roamio Plus purchase just a little longer!
lyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:26 PM   #35
bmgoodman

This thread seems quiet now, so I thought I'd ask a related question.

Disk Diagnostics:

My 4 year old Tivo HD with WD10EVDS was showing some stuttering during playback lately, so I did a Kickstart 54 and ran some diagnostics. Everything came back good, except the "Extended Overnight Test", which returned "TEST FAILED. There are now 1 point(s) in the Red Zone".

So, I swapped in a never-used 2 TB WD20EURS following the procedure here (after first running extended WD diagnostics on it). I ran it for 2 days and then decided to do another KS 54 and re-run the "Extended Overnight Test". This time I saw a warning about being unable to access /dev/hdb (not surprising with no second drive), but then I immediately got a "TEST FAILED" on /dev/hda, which I did NOT expect. It didn't even draw the graph axes. Can anyone else with a 2 TB drive get this test to run?

The Tivo HD itself now seems to be operating fine, but I'm just a bit concerned the "Extended Overnight Test" won't even begin to run.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:21 PM   #36
jmbach

Would use the manufacturer's diagnostic test on the drive. If it passes that you should be good to go.
I don't have a TiVo HD but I have an OLED S3 with a 2TB drive. I'll run the test this weekend and see what it does.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #37
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
This thread seems quiet now, so I thought I'd ask a related question.

Disk Diagnostics:

My 4 year old Tivo HD with WD10EVDS was showing some stuttering during playback lately, so I did a Kickstart 54 and ran some diagnostics. Everything came back good, except the "Extended Overnight Test", which returned "TEST FAILED. There are now 1 point(s) in the Red Zone".

So, I swapped in a never-used 2 TB WD20EURS following the procedure here (after first running extended WD diagnostics on it). I ran it for 2 days and then decided to do another KS 54 and re-run the "Extended Overnight Test". This time I saw a warning about being unable to access /dev/hdb (not surprising with no second drive), but then I immediately got a "TEST FAILED" on /dev/hda, which I did NOT expect. It didn't even draw the graph axes. Can anyone else with a 2 TB drive get this test to run?

The Tivo HD itself now seems to be operating fine, but I'm just a bit concerned the "Extended Overnight Test" won't even begin to run.

If it's worth testing the drive itself (as opposed to the software on it), it's worth pulling it out of the TiVo and running the manufacturer's own diagnostics.

That and one time I ran KS54 just out of curiosity on an S2 DT and it screwed up the drive.

(Since I was able to get it working again by using WinMFS to rewrite the boot sector and swap to the alternate boot partition, it wasn't anything wrong with the drive)

Of all the things I like about TiVos, KS54 ain't one of them.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:53 PM   #38
squint

I'm greatly in favor of removing the drive and testing in a PC. Kickstarts rarely seem to fix problems and often make things worse. I had one that was stuck in guided setup with a SO3 error. I tried Kickstart 57 and 58 and got stuck in the GSOD which was a big step backwards. I eventually figured out how to get out of the GSOD so it's back to being stuck in guided setup w/S03 error.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #39
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If it's worth testing the drive itself (as opposed to the software on it), it's worth pulling it out of the TiVo and running the manufacturer's own diagnostics.

That and one time I ran KS54 just out of curiosity on an S2 DT and it screwed up the drive.

(Since I was able to get it working again by using WinMFS to rewrite the boot sector and swap to the alternate boot partition, it wasn't anything wrong with the drive)

Of all the things I like about TiVos, KS54 ain't one of them.
I actually ran the WD external diagnostics in my PC before I installed it, as well as a full test with Stablebit Scanner. Both showed no issues. My only concern was that this is the first time I've *ever* attempted an "Extended Overnight Test" through KS 54 that failed to run the test. I don't know if this is related to being > 1 TB drive, which was the original max for Tivo HD, IIRC.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:22 PM   #40
mhuffman

Stinkweed8 - I am having the same problem you had (s03 error, ultimately stuck in a guided setup loop). It appears that you were able to copy your 1tb disk with the errors to a 2tb disk using WinMFS and the new one worked - is that correct? Did you have to do anything else to fix the s03 error?

Thanks,

Marc
mhuffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #41
Stinkweed8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuffman View Post
Stinkweed8 - I am having the same problem you had (s03 error, ultimately stuck in a guided setup loop). It appears that you were able to copy your 1tb disk with the errors to a 2tb disk using WinMFS and the new one worked - is that correct? Did you have to do anything else to fix the s03 error?

Thanks,

Marc
I was unable to recover the shows from the disk with the s03 errors. I had the original tivo hdd that I copied the formatting from when I upgraded to the 2 Tb drive.

I was never able to correct the s03 error. I did reformat / wipe that drive and I wound up sticking it into my premier as a size upgrade and I haven't had any problems with it.

Hope that helps

MZ
Stinkweed8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #42
mhuffman

Thanks; it does help, I think I have the original drive stashed away somewhere too, if it comes to that. Will keep looking for a solution to the s03 loop a bit more but anticipate I'll probably be doing the same thing you did soon...
Old 07-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #43
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Error S03 = Run "Clear Program Info & ToDo List"

Never run Guided Setup again to try to clear this error.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #44
jmbach

Not sure if this helps. TiVo S03 error Not sure if these KS codes are implemented in your OS but a KS 50 is a wipe dB (which maybe a S4 and higher code) and KS 59 which is a repeat guided setup.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #45
mhuffman

Interesting - what does the wipe db partition do?
Old 07-30-2014, 11:27 PM   #46
jmbach

I am not sure. S4 and higher have a SQLite partition and perhaps it clears that.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:07 AM   #47
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
I am not sure. S4 and higher have a SQLite partition and perhaps it clears that.
I tried the KS 67 to check the integrity of it, and it seems to not work on any of my Base Roamios. I tried it on all three of them. It acts like it accepts a valid key sequence, but the boot time is not increased at all, and all the boot screens are the same.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:18 AM   #48
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
the "Extended Overnight Test" won't even begin to run.
That test never works on non-stock drives, in my experience, on TiVoHDs, Premieres, and Roamios.

It is a proprietary TiVo test (not a SMART standardized one). Just run all the manufacturer's tests before installation, and you should have nothing to worry about.

Most drive failures of new WD drives lately are DOA, or "infant mortality". Using WD's WinDLG (WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows) should insure you don't have a DOA, and add insurance that it's not going to work for 10 hours and then die (since that's about how long all tests will take to complete). You wind up testing for the same amount of time this way.

You can perform the exact same test TiVo uses for that "overnight" one, with HDTune Pro (not free), along with every other test you could possibly want or need. I'm thinking of buying a copy myself, so I can (easily) identify "slow sectors", which are not bad, but slow enough to cause AV glitches in TiVo use, without all the work I have to do, and time I have to be involved, to do so with free tools.