TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #1
astrohip
Stuart F

"About a Boy" Season One Thread **spoilers**

NBC aired a new pilot last night (Sat Feb 22) after the Olympics, "About a Boy". Based on Nick Hornby's novel, which has already had a movie based on it (2002, Hugh Grant, Toni Collette).

I thought this was good. Especially for a sitcom pilot, which are often the toughest pilots to suffer thru. David Walton plays a great Will Freeman; also has Minnie Driver as the boy's mom (the part Toni Collette played in the movie).

The next episode is Tuesday, which will be its normal night. I have no idea if the pilot is being rerun before then?

The writer is Jason Katims, who has an interesting history of taking successful movies and making TV series from them. He did Friday Night Lights and Parenthood (neither of which I happen to watch).

I have no idea if this will make it, but I'll give credit to NBC for trying again with David Walton. I thought Bent (anyone remember Bent, Spring 2012) and Perfect Couples were decent shows. Bent was really good, but NBC did a poor job promoting it. Walton is one of those guys who plays a certain persona really well.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I really liked it. LOL'd a few times.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
hummingbird_206

I loved the movie with Hugh Grant. Really like the first ep, so I'm in. I thought I'd missed recording it, but found that I padded the Olympics recording enough that I got the full ep.
hummingbird_206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Leslie Bibb is still hawt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #5
Bettamojo5
Rolling Along

Meh, watched it and wasn't really impressed. I doubt it makes it.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
N
I have no idea if this will make it, but I'll give credit to NBC for trying again with David Walton. I thought Bent (anyone remember Bent, Spring 2012) and Perfect Couples were decent shows. Bent was really good, but NBC did a poor job promoting it. Walton is one of those guys who plays a certain persona really well.
I like Walton and would like to see him on a show that last more than just a few episodes.
I didn't like Perfect Couples at all, but I liked Bent.
So far, About a Boy, is just meh. While there's nothing off putting about it, it also doesn't stimulate interest.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:38 PM   #7
TonyD79

I liked it. Loved the movie. Obviously, the mother won't be like the one in the movie. That won't work for a series.

The question is if it will have enough storylines. They basically did the whole movie in one episode.

Speaking of which. It was a 24 minute show without commercials. That made it stand out right there.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:42 PM   #8
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I watched and really enjoyed it. And I also really liked Walton in Bent. I'll definitely check this out and hope it does well, but it's an NBC sitcom, so it's chances aren't very good.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:34 AM   #9
dbranco

We really enjoyed it, too. Nice chemistry between the guy and the kid.

and fyi - for those who get Cinemax, the movie is airing on that cable channel.
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:03 AM   #10
Thom

I missed the pilot episode. Hope they re-broadcast it.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:28 AM   #11
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
NBC aired a new pilot last night (Sat Feb 22) after the Olympics, "About a Boy". Based on Nick Hornby's novel, which has already had a movie based on it (2002, Hugh Grant, Toni Collette).

I thought this was good. Especially for a sitcom pilot, which are often the toughest pilots to suffer thru. David Walton plays a great Will Freeman; also has Minnie Driver as the boy's mom (the part Toni Collette played in the movie).

The next episode is Tuesday, which will be its normal night. I have no idea if the pilot is being rerun before then?

The writer is Jason Katims, who has an interesting history of taking successful movies and making TV series from them. He did Friday Night Lights and Parenthood (neither of which I happen to watch).

Thanks for the info. I had totally forgotten to record this. I'm a big fan of David Walton. I was upset when Bent and Perfect Couples were canceled. I was thrilled he was on New Girl for awhile too. When I saw this advertised I didn't think the premise sounded great but wanted to check it out anyhow just for the fact that it's him and Driver. I love her too.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:34 AM   #12
late for dinner
Always Hungry!

Really good pilot, we like the actors and the boy is too cute. My favorite part was when the little kid mouthed "no" when his neiighbor asked about his Mom's sex life.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #13
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

We liked it a lot and laughed often. I remember Walton in Bent which we watched (until it became doomed, and then stopped watching). SP set.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #14
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
We liked it a lot and laughed often. I remember Walton in Bent which we watched (until it became doomed, and then stopped watching). SP set.
Ha, that's funny. Bent was doomed before NBC ever aired it. They only made six episodes, and by the time they decided to air them, they already knew they weren't making any more. They burned them off quickly, two eps back-to-back for three weeks. Can't remember if it was summer or just late in spring.

Either way, I doubt you started watching, learned it was doomed, and stopped watching. I'll bet you watched all six and stopped because that's all there were.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #15
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Another one I enjoyed.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #16
59er
TiVotee

I really loved the book that was the basis for both the film and TV adaptations. I also liked the movie, and found the pilot okay/amusing. Hoping it will gel into a good show; I've been eagerly awaiting this since fall.
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #17
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
I missed the pilot episode. Hope they re-broadcast it.
You can watch it on hulu or nbc.com
Old 02-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #18
mattack

Quote:
Note that it's Hugh Grant's production company making the show.

I thought it was VERY entertaining. I haven't yet looked on imdb to see if I knew the kid from anywhere else.. he sure SEEMS familiar.. but maybe he's just similar to a lot of little kids in TV shows.. heh.

Minnie Driver sure has grown up since "Circle of Friends".. (yeah, I know, I've seen her in some things since then.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:45 AM   #19
Blurayfan

For those who missed the Pilot it can be downloaded FREE from Amazon, VUDU or iTunes currently.
Blurayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:46 AM   #20
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Ha, that's funny. Bent was doomed before NBC ever aired it. They only made six episodes, and by the time they decided to air them, they already knew they weren't making any more. They burned them off quickly, two eps back-to-back for three weeks. Can't remember if it was summer or just late in spring.

Either way, I doubt you started watching, learned it was doomed, and stopped watching. I'll bet you watched all six and stopped because that's all there were.
No, I watched the first 3 or so episodes, saw the ratings and stopped. I usually watch even though the ratings might be bad, but IRC I had to do some juggling the nights it was on (didn't have my 5 tuner Genie then) and Bent lost because it wasn't going to be on much longer. I had no idea about that with Bent. I really don't pay a whole lot of attention to "insider" stuff before a show airs.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:48 AM   #21
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I am going to have to circle back and watch the movie now. Hopefully it's on Netflix or Amazon Prime or one of those.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:22 AM   #22
TonyD79

Quote:
I am going to have to circle back and watch the movie now. Hopefully it's on Netflix or Amazon Prime or one of those.
Don't see it free in demand or streaming but it is on MoreMax Friday.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #23
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Don't see it free in demand or streaming but it is on MoreMax Friday.
Meh, don't get any of the Cinemax channels, but if it's on Max, it will work it's way to HBO eventually and they share the same catalog of movies. And my library might have the DVD.

Thanks for looking though
Old 02-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #24
TonyD79

Quote:
Meh, don't get any of the Cinemax channels, but if it's on Max, it will work it's way to HBO eventually and they share the same catalog of movies. And my library might have the DVD. Thanks for looking though
Good thought. My library does. Yours might.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #25
astrohip
Stuart F

It appears tonight's scheduled second episode has been replaced by a rerunning of the pilot. The guide still shows Ep2 scheduled, so we'll probably have to manually set our DVRs next week.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #26
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

So I downloaded this and I really loved it! The kid is adorable. David Walton is a winner in this role, so perfect! I hope people watch this!!!
Old 02-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #27
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Also rating in
2.4/8.34M Last night's rerun

Original "preview" run kept 76% Olympics retention which I think is really good!
2.2/8.25M

I think this is a good sign so far!
Old 02-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #28
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Assuming people stick around for the next new episode. TV viewers have a short attention span these days, and I'm afraid that those who watched on Saturday and were expecting ep 2 on Tuesday may be put off and not bother coming back next Tuesday.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #29
smak
TV MA SLV

I'm glad Mini Driver is using her real accent.

There are Brits and Aussies living and working in the US, they don't always have to do an American accent on every show.

-smak-=
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:52 AM   #30
dbranco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Assuming people stick around for the next new episode. TV viewers have a short attention span these days, and I'm afraid that those who watched on Saturday and were expecting ep 2 on Tuesday may be put off and not bother coming back next Tuesday.
my TiVo guide is still showing "Ep. 3" for next Tuesday. I hope the network fixes that and shows Ep 2. Not sure if watching out of order will ultimately matter for this show (probably not, being a sitcom), but especially in the beginning, I think character development benefits from watching the eps in order.
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote