TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #31
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
That's not the point.

As other people have already pointed out, Heroes was a series that started as a really good show that a lot of people watched that crashed and burned in Season 2 into a spectacular crapfest that most of those people turned off in disgust.

They're not going to remember the great 21 or 22 episodes at the beginning as much as the horrible stench from the following 55 or 56 episodes that followed.

This move also reeks of desperation on the part on NBC.
I think that's very true. On the other hand, if they completely reboot it, with all new characters, and make that well known, as well as make it well know that the original showrunner is back (IRC didn't he leave after S1), they could have some success with it. I really have no desire to watch any of the old characters, and the only character I'd even consider bringing back is cheerleader dad (IRC the name was Noah). I've seen a lot of the old cast in new shows and Zachary Quinto would probably not be interested in coming back as he's had some success elsewhere.

Just like the 24 reboot, while I think it's totally unnecessary, I'll at least be watching the "pilot" of the reboot.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #32
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but here is my recollection: Season 1 of Heroes was fantastic. It did very well ratings wise. But the plan the writers had for Season 2 was that none of the original cast was coming back. The network suits got involved, and starting insisting on plot lines and how characters acted based upon their market surveys. What resulted was Season 2. I'd be interested if this reboot continued where the original writers intended.
I feel the same.

The first season was awesome. I'll give this a try.
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #33
allan
I survived the Mayan

I loved S1. I still liked S2. I could stand S3. I watched S4, but don't ask me why. I thought it was longer than 4 seasons, but maybe it's just that the last of it just dragged! I'm very skeptical of this.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #34
cheesesteak
Meh.

[Nancy Kerrigan]Why? Why?[/Nancy Kerrigan]

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #35
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Why me?

[pause]

Why anyone?!?
Old 02-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #36
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post
Dump Kring for Kripke and I'm in.
Haven't been watching Revolution, have you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I think that's very true. On the other hand, if they completely reboot it, with all new characters, and make that well known, as well as make it well know that the original showrunner is back (IRC didn't he leave after S1), they could have some success with it. I really have no desire to watch any of the old characters, and the only character I'd even consider bringing back is cheerleader dad (IRC the name was Noah). I've seen a lot of the old cast in new shows and Zachary Quinto would probably not be interested in coming back as he's had some success elsewhere.

Just like the 24 reboot, while I think it's totally unnecessary, I'll at least be watching the "pilot" of the reboot.
IIRC, the original showrunner (Tim Kring) stayed.

To be fair to Kring (and Loeb) though, the network did insist on a lot of changes to the show when it became a hit.
(As pointed out earlier in the thread, the original show plans were a tad different.)

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #37
Alfer
WOOSAH!

After the first season it all turned into a HUGE pile of suck. I don't know if I have the energy/time to waste on a re-do show like this.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #38
Ment

Look at the new scifi series this season, not a high bar to meet or beat. I'll watch it.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #39
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
To be fair to Kring (and Loeb) though, the network did insist on a lot of changes to the show when it became a hit.
And to be even fairer to Loeb, he left (or was fired; it's unclear which) because of those changes.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #40
JohnB1000

See I feel it has a chance to be good providing the makers learned from the mistakes made. Not many shows get the chance to learn from their own failure.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #41
kmccbf

I guess I'm one of the few. While I didn't think the show was great. I thought it was watchable, with the exception of a few episodes.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:29 PM   #42
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

The only way this can be fun is if they bring back characters from other canceled NBC shows like Manimal, the Misfits of Science, etc.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #43
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
It's not a reboot, it's a continuation. Big difference.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #44
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
What the heck was I doing in 2007 that caused me to miss that show? Seems right up my alley. The wikipedia description makes it sound like Quantum Leap a bit, which I liked a lot.
Not only was it great, but it was poorly advertised, and sometimes pre-empted, if I remember.

It's almost like they wanted to kill it.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #45
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
It's not a reboot, it's a continuation. Big difference.

Greg
Which one? To me it's the same thing. Show's off the air for awhile coming back. For 24 the only thing I know is Sutherland is coming back, but are the others? In which case, that makes it a reboot for me. And with Heroes, we don't really know if it's the same cast or completely different, then that makes it a reboot either way.

It's semantics. Either way, I'll be watching, but I hope I don't regret doing so. Seems that the networks could find some new ideas, but I guess I should know better.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:14 PM   #46
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
What the heck was I doing in 2007 that caused me to miss that show? Seems right up my alley. The wikipedia description makes it sound like Quantum Leap a bit, which I liked a lot.
You can rent the DVD from Netflix.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #47
Johncv

Quote:

Zachary Quinto would be the only actor would want back. If anyone has not watch the first two seasons of American Horror Story with him in them, do it...in a dark room.

HDTiVo
Old 02-25-2014, 09:38 PM   #48
Johncv

Quote:
Which one? To me it's the same thing. Show's off the air for awhile coming back. For 24 the only thing I know is Sutherland is coming back, but are the others? In which case, that makes it a reboot for me. And with Heroes, we don't really know if it's the same cast or completely different, then that makes it a reboot either way.

It's semantics. Either way, I'll be watching, but I hope I don't regret doing so. Seems that the networks could find some new ideas, but I guess I should know better.
Also it will only be 12 or 13 episodes, but events take place in REAL time.

HDTiVo
Old 02-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #49
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
Zachary Quinto would be the only actor would want back. If anyone has not watch the first two seasons of American Horror Story with him in them, do it...in a dark room.
Reason I said the Noah character is that he's sort of the "protector" of the Heroes. New villains can always be hatched, but Noah gives the show some continuity with the past.

Quinto is obviously one of the biggest names to come out of the show, so they might want him back for that reason.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:43 AM   #50
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
I loved S1. I still liked S2. I could stand S3. I watched S4, but don't ask me why. I thought it was longer than 4 seasons, but maybe it's just that the last of it just dragged! I'm very skeptical of this.
There were 4 seasons?

I bailed mid-season 2. And season 1 was one of my favorite TV seasons ever.

I don't understand the suits. Hey, we have this unexpected hit! Instead of doing what works, let's change everything and make it moronic! Now that sounds like a great idea!
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #51
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
There were 4 seasons?

I bailed mid-season 2. And season 1 was one of my favorite TV seasons ever.

I don't understand the suits. Hey, we have this unexpected hit! Instead of doing what works, let's change everything and make it moronic! Now that sounds like a great idea!
Wasn't the original concept was that they were going to have a completely different cast / storyline? The Networks wanted to stick with the cast we know? Or maybe I'm remembering wrong.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:14 AM   #52
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Wasn't the original concept was that they were going to have a completely different cast / storyline? The Networks wanted to stick with the cast we know? Or maybe I'm remembering wrong.
Not necessarily completely different, but it would have been a series of loosely interrelated stories with a common background and some common characters, and mostly new leads.

Much like Miami Vice was supposed to be, before the stardom of Don Johnson.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #53
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...eborn/5745541/
Quote:
NBC's sci-fi series Heroes is being revived as a 13-episode limited series, with creator Tim Kring back at the helm but a new cast of characters and a self-contained storyline that's "shrouded in secrecy." The series, which aired from 2006-2010, will return in 2015 as Heroes Reborn
As far as I'm concerned, they need to do a better job of shrouding it in secrecy. They need to put a cloak of invisibility on it, and a cone of silence around it. Then they need to lock it in an unopenable puzzle box, wrap the box in unbreakable chains forged from a dwarf star, seal the box and chains in some of that plastic blister packaging that you can't open without slicing open your fingers, and drop the whole package into that chasm from "Torchwood: Miracle Day" that goes all the way to the center of the earth. The fact that we even know that they are working on the reboot means they have already failed us. Again. The first season of Heroes was wonderful, but they frittered away all my good will by turning the series, episode by episode, into dreck. I have no desire to see them pile on the memory of What Could Have been with yet more crap. I don't want them to make Heroes Afterbirth, or whatever they are calling it.

But I'll probably check it out, I guess.
| Twitter:

Last edited by danterner : 02-26-2014 at 07:36 PM.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:43 PM   #54
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
The fact that we even know that they are working on the reboot means they have already failed us.
NBC showed a 15 second teaser trailer during the premiere of the Jimmy Fallon Tonight show. They aren't exactly trying to hide that it's being worked on.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #55
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
NBC showed a 15 second teaser trailer during the premiere of the Jimmy Fallon Tonight show. They aren't exactly trying to hide that it's being worked on.
Can you post any links to the trailer?

HDTiVo
Old 02-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #56
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
Can you post any links to the trailer?
Search YouTube for heroes reborn.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #57
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Search YouTube for heroes reborn.
It's barely worth doing as it just shows the title.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #58
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
It's barely worth doing as it just shows the title.
True. It is a teaser trailer.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:11 PM   #59
rich
Final answer?

Season 1 was great, but when Hiro went to feudal Japan it got really boring.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #60
mrdazzo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahtrim View Post
The way I remember it, season 1 finale even sucked.
Season 1 pissed a lot of people off because it built towards this confrontation and then just completely tanked. It would be like Marvel spending four years building up everyone's individual movies and then they finally get together in the last ten minutes of The Avengers, throw a few punches each, and it's over. You can't build something for 21 episodes then drop the ball on the 22nd.

Quote:
I wouldn't compare these two - 24 at it's worst was still at least comparable to Heroes at it's best, lol. 24 dropped it's own ball several times but overall, for 8 seasons, they did an amazing job considering the story constraints they had. I'm not sure what this 12 episode mini-series looks like but I think it will be awesome because they don't have to rely on mountain lions to fill 24 episodes - it'll be 12 episodes of pure story.... DAMN IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
See I feel it has a chance to be good providing the makers learned from the mistakes made. Not many shows get the chance to learn from their own failure.
I have to believe the producers involved had a vision good enough to convince NBC to do this. This seems like a horrendous idea on the face of it so someone has to have come up with something good that we have to wait to see... I was watching the Buffy movie the other day and the fact that Joss Whedon convinced a TV network to make a series based on that hot mess means anything is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
Season 1 was great, but when Hiro went to feudal Japan it got really boring.
I'll always remember that storyline as the first time in my TV-viewing-obsessed life that I fast-forwarded through an entire storyline of a show I was into, lol. Easily the worst move they could have made after losing a lot of good will with the S1 finale. It's something that should have been maybe two episodes, but just kept going and going. I skipped all of it and felt absolutely no impact.

I gave up in Season 4 because I was in school and there was just much better stuff on to devote my dwindling TV hours to. I remember saving the last four episodes for almost a year before trying to go back and finish up the series. Gave up about 20 minutes into the first one. I think I just went on wikipedie and read a synopsis of how the series ended, lol.