TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-10-2014, 04:33 AM   #1
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

The Amazing Race ALL-STARS - 3/09/14 *Spoilers*

Wow. I wonder what Brendon and Rachel's cab driver did wrong to take them from first to seventh in just the length of a cab ride to the airport. Given that the first six teams were virtually guaranteed not to be eliminated, that was incredibly dangerous.

It was very suspect that Dave and Connor floated past the place where they were supposed to deliver the food, yet were able to walk it back upstream, deliver it, walk back downstream, and still complete the task before anyone else. Since the Afghanimals and the Cowboys delivered their food first, I'm not sure what they were doing between delivering the food and getting the next clue that allowed Dave and Connor to finish first.

Joey and Meghan probably would have finished last anyway, because they're just not very skilled. But forgetting to tell their cab to wait when every other team did so was all it took to ensure their elimination.

So that's three episodes this season, and all three have shown the second-to-last team check in while the final team is still completing the last task. Does that mean the producers have realized that creating fake drama about who gets to the mat first is stupid and they're going to present it more truthfully now? Or were these three situations just so obvious and inevitable that they didn't think they could get away with it?
Old 03-10-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Cannot-unsee-Rachel's blurred out underwear region during the waterfall challenge-especially when she was spreading her legs! UGH!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
The cowboys apparently only lost one spot by missing the clues in the rapelling challenge. They tried to make it look like other teams were arriving, but I guess they really weren't.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #4
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post

It was very suspect that Dave and Connor floated past the place where they were supposed to deliver the food, yet were able to walk it back upstream, deliver it, walk back downstream, and still complete the task before anyone else. Since the Afghanimals and the Cowboys delivered their food first, I'm not sure what they were doing between delivering the food and getting the next clue that allowed Dave and Connor to finish first.
On Dave and Conner, I guess the clue didn't say they had to take the raft back to the Pit stop, because it looked like they walked while the others rafted back. Not sure what happened there, but it seemed strange.

Quote:
Joey and Meghan probably would have finished last anyway, because they're just not very skilled. But forgetting to tell their cab to wait when every other team did so was all it took to ensure their elimination.

So that's three episodes this season, and all three have shown the second-to-last team check in while the final team is still completing the last task. Does that mean the producers have realized that creating fake drama about who gets to the mat first is stupid and they're going to present it more truthfully now? Or were these three situations just so obvious and inevitable that they didn't think they could get away with it?
I think it was most likely the latter. They were so far behind and obvious they were that far behind that there couldn't be any fake drama there. That said, I hope they continue doing that. I always hated the fake drama!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #5
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

It was deja vu all over again watching Rachel's meltdown! And I agree that I wish I could unsee her underwear blur.

Seemed to me that Dave & Connor didn't have to get back on their raft after they had delivered the food because they had already rafted to the finish line. I don't think the distance between the finish line and the village was that great, so it didn't take them too long to walk back with the food.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
Cannot-unsee-Rachel's blurred out underwear region during the waterfall challenge-especially when she was spreading her legs! UGH!
Me either. I wonder why the producers felt it necessary to show a blurred shot of her exposed undies (and perhaps more) when she split her legs. It was obvious from the previous shot where she was lying belly down that she was no longer wearing her shorts. I said it to the wife right away.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #7
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
On Dave and Conner, I guess the clue didn't say they had to take the raft back to the Pit stop, because it looked like they walked while the others rafted back. Not sure what happened there, but it seemed strange.
I don't think anyone took the raft to the pit stop... we saw a bunch of them getting taxis to the water village. Do you mean to the place where the guy was standing on the beach to give them the clue to the pit stop? I think he must have been on the same beach as the dancing people with the bird shooting challenge. When they were running up to him you could see their abandoned raft on the beach in front of him.

I do wonder how they managed to get first though when they were not the first people to turn in the food. Unless it just took the cowboys and the Afghanimals that much longer to do the part of the river that Dave and Connor had already done. I can't remember what order they got the clue from the guy on the beach, but I thought that that was also cowboys, Afghanimals, then Dave/Connor.

Also, why on earth did Dave and Connor not just do the bird shooting challenge when they realized they were at the wrong beach? I know they already had the food but we didn't hear anything special about them having to continue the task they chose, did we?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:36 AM   #8
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I don't think anyone took the raft to the pit stop... we saw a bunch of them getting taxis to the water village. Do you mean to the place where the guy was standing on the beach to give them the clue to the pit stop? I think he must have been on the same beach as the dancing people with the bird shooting challenge. When they were running up to him you could see their abandoned raft on the beach in front of him.

I do wonder how they managed to get first though when they were not the first people to turn in the food. Unless it just took the cowboys and the Afghanimals that much longer to do the part of the river that Dave and Connor had already done. I can't remember what order they got the clue from the guy on the beach, but I thought that that was also cowboys, Afghanimals, then Dave/Connor.

Also, why on earth did Dave and Connor not just do the bird shooting challenge when they realized they were at the wrong beach? I know they already had the food but we didn't hear anything special about them having to continue the task they chose, did we?
Maybe I saw it wrong, and perhaps the pitstop from the shooting venue was walking distance to the pitstop, while those who did the food challenge rafted to the end, and that's why I was confused. I guess since D&C rafted to the end, then walked back to do the food challenge and then walked back past the shooting challenge and to the pit stop, it appeared that they didn't raft partially to the pitstop. I also wondered why they didn't do the shooting challenge while they were already there.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #9
tonestert

Quote:
I was thinking the exact same thing.

I hated that there was a 3 hour gap between the flights. It basically meant it was a 3 team race for last.
tonestert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #10
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonestert View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing.

I hated that there was a 3 hour gap between the flights. It basically meant it was a 3 team race for last.
Usually true, but we've seen teams have various types of trouble where teams on later flights have caught up. Plus it might have been a necessary evil based on available seats on the flights.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #11
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
So much is unknown though. The Afghanimals definitely had issues with the rapids after they delivered and when they showed the cowboys going past they were going really slowly. Add in a few twists in the river and it may have taken longer to raft the distance than run it. It is possible Dave and Connor delivered just a few minutes after the others.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:15 AM   #12
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
It was deja vu all over again watching Rachel's meltdown! And I agree that I wish I could unsee her underwear blur.

Seemed to me that Dave & Connor didn't have to get back on their raft after they had delivered the food because they had already rafted to the finish line. I don't think the distance between the finish line and the village was that great, so it didn't take them too long to walk back with the food.
Did they have their Travelocity Gnome with them when they delivered the food or did they have to go back to get it?
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #13
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
Did they have their Travelocity Gnome with them when they delivered the food or did they have to go back to get it?
I don't remember, but I'm not sure it was a requirement. The only time it was mentioned was for the rappelling challenge, but some kept it with them.

I loved the little life jacket they had for it, though!
Old 03-10-2014, 02:26 PM   #14
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
No, they didn't raft back to the place where they put their rafts in the river. That would be impossible to row upstream.

Quote:
Maybe I saw it wrong, and perhaps the pitstop from the shooting venue was walking distance to the pitstop, while those who did the food challenge rafted to the end, and that's why I was confused. I guess since D&C rafted to the end, then walked back to do the food challenge and then walked back past the shooting challenge and to the pit stop, it appeared that they didn't raft partially to the pitstop. I also wondered why they didn't do the shooting challenge while they were already there.
I wondered why Dave & Connor didn't do the blowgun challenge as well, but I assumed that once they had chosen the food delivery challenge and taken the food from the starting point, they couldn't switch midstream and abandon the box of food.

As for the Pit Stop, they all had to get back in their cabs after the river challenge to be taken to where the Pit Stop was. So they weren't rafting to the Pit Stop, they were just rafting to a point on the river where the guy with the clue was standing. They had to take the piece of wood they got from the food delivery or from the blowgun challenge, and trade it for the next clue.

I just watched again and when D&C traded in their piece of wood for the last clue, it said they were in 1st place, but there were clearly a few other rafts already beached there next to the clue guy, so either that's just a popular place to beach rafts, or the captioning was misleading and the Cowboys and Afghanimals had already gotten their clues. It's very possible that the race editors simply decided that since D&C got to the Pit Stop first, it would be easier to tell the story this way than it would to explain what happened to the other two teams between the last clue and the Pit Stop.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #15
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

That's another thing. Anyone else find it odd that people were trying to row with sticks that were obviously designed to punt through the water?

I would have thought that it's VERY hard to row without something that was at least paddle shaped!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #16
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Punt through water? That's three words I've never seen in a row before.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #17
Ment

The bird challenge was confusing. How many shots do they get on target before having to move to the next one?
Old 03-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #18
debtoine
WTTWDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
The bird challenge was confusing. How many shots do they get on target before having to move to the next one?
I was wondering that too. When the girls were there with the Globetrotters, it looked like you got one chance, and if you didn't knock it down, you had to move on. Later, when Brenchel was there, it seemed like he could try as many times as it took. So, I wondered if there were other teams there too, you got one try and if there weren't, you could keep trying or give up on that one bird and look for the next.

deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
debtoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #19
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
That's another thing. Anyone else find it odd that people were trying to row with sticks that were obviously designed to punt through the water?

I would have thought that it's VERY hard to row without something that was at least paddle shaped!
Agreed. The river was not very deep and it seemed that the poles were meant to be used for pushing against the river bed and rocks rather than as paddles. They wouldn't have done much good being used as paddles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
I assumed they had to treat it as if it were a real bird, which would have flown away after being shot at. But that doesn't explain why some of the teams seemed to take multiple shots at the same bird. So maybe the "natives" were just kind of lax with the rules.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:24 PM   #20
laria
Librocubicularist

I thought maybe they were just going to look for a bird that might be easier to hit.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #21
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I thought maybe they were just going to look for a bird that might be easier to hit.
That was my take on it as well. There were some who chose a bird and just stuck with it until they hit it and some who chose a bird, missed a few times and thought there might be another that would be easier to hit so they moved on. I didn't get any impression there were any requirments at all other than hitting it.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #22
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Punt through water? That's three words I've never seen in a row before.
It's an odd turn of phrase, but Tony is trying to convey punting, the boating activity, as opposed to rowing or paddling (or, for that matter, the act of kicking an American football):

Wikipedia: Punt (boat)

Quote:
A punt is a flat-bottomed boat with a square-cut bow, designed for use in small rivers or other shallow water. Punting refers to boating in a punt. The punter generally propels the punt by pushing against the river bed with a pole. A punt should not be confused with a gondola, which is propelled by an oar rather than a pole.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #23
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:

It wasn't the "typical" Rachel meltdown though. I thought it was going to lead to one, but it never really fully developed. Dare I say ... maybe she has matured a bit.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:05 PM   #24
Inundated
Face For Radio

I missed Rachel's blurred nether regions, and I think I'm quite pleased I did.
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #25
mattack

In other threads, people have mentioned that they get more info than we see (i.e. more than just the clue card). Are they given the approximate time length of each challenge?

One team specifically told the taxi that they'd be 20 minutes. I don't remember previously that kind of info being mentioned. (Though I also wonder if someone from production tells them to keep waiting.. If I were a cab driver, I don't know if I'd just sit there for hours and hours, and I might not get paid for the drive I *already* gave them.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #26
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
It wasn't the "typical" Rachel meltdown though. I thought it was going to lead to one, but it never really fully developed. Dare I say ... maybe she has matured a bit.
Or maybe they just didn't show the whole thing (granted, TAR usually shows them).
Old 03-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #27
laria
Librocubicularist

Sometimes she seems like the one with more common sense of the two of them, like in the cab when she started looking at the map trying to figure out if there was a better way to go when they were in the traffic, and Brendon was just like, "no I'm sure everyone is stuck in this." No, they weren't! I don't think she is really as dumb as she acts sometimes.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #28
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Sometimes she seems like the one with more common sense of the two of them, like in the cab when she started looking at the map trying to figure out if there was a better way to go when they were in the traffic, and Brendon was just like, "no I'm sure everyone is stuck in this." No, they weren't! I don't think she is really as dumb as she acts sometimes.
I definitely think she's the smarter of the two, but a lot more annoying.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #29
gschrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
In other threads, people have mentioned that they get more info than we see (i.e. more than just the clue card). Are they given the approximate time length of each challenge?

One team specifically told the taxi that they'd be 20 minutes. I don't remember previously that kind of info being mentioned. (Though I also wonder if someone from production tells them to keep waiting.. If I were a cab driver, I don't know if I'd just sit there for hours and hours, and I might not get paid for the drive I *already* gave them.)
I know back in the family season we got some real insight into exactly the types of directions the teams get, as I recall, someone was passing on some info they got from someone that was involved in the production in one area. It was pretty specific on things like whether to have the cab wait, where to leave their car, etc.

That said, I doubt they were really told how long it was going to take, so I'm guessing the team was just making that number up.

I wouldn't be surprised if the cab drivers are having to sign stuff agreeing to let them be filmed for the show, so I'm guessing they're going to figure they're pretty safe to assume that if they're told someone's coming back, they're coming back.
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote