TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
russellg99

Series 3: flashing green LED and no video

My Series 3 is flashing a green LED on the front, and there's no signal from the HDMI port.

I checked the power supply, and I don't see any signs of bulging or leaking capacitors. I checked the voltage from the 14-pin cable that goes from the power supply board to the motherboard, and I'm getting +3.33v on the orange +3.3 line, I'm getting +4.77v on the red +5v lines, and I'm getting +11.02v on the yellow +12v line. Are the red and yellow lines low enough to cause this problem?

The green and orange LEDs on the Ethernet port are also on, but the rear fan is not spinning and I don't read any voltage on the fan's connector at the motherboard. The hard drive is spinning up, but I read in another post that it won't be accessed when the green light is flashing.

Anything else I should try?

Thanks,
Russell
russellg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:20 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellg99 View Post
My Series 3 is flashing a green LED on the front, and there's no signal from the HDMI port.

I checked the power supply, and I don't see any signs of bulging or leaking capacitors. I checked the voltage from the 14-pin cable that goes from the power supply board to the motherboard, and I'm getting +3.33v on the orange +3.3 line, I'm getting +4.77v on the red +5v lines, and I'm getting +11.02v on the yellow +12v line. Are the red and yellow lines low enough to cause this problem?

The green and orange LEDs on the Ethernet port are also on, but the rear fan is not spinning and I don't read any voltage on the fan's connector at the motherboard. The hard drive is spinning up, but I read in another post that it won't be accessed when the green light is flashing.

Anything else I should try?

Thanks,
Russell
A bulging or leaking cap is a sign of a cap going or gone bad.

A cap which is neither bulging nor leaking is a sign of a cap that may or may not be good that's not showing any visible clues.

In other words, a lack of visible evidence of failure is not evidence of a lack of failure.

The +5V line's reading is borderline acceptable, but the +12V line reading should be at least 11.5V, so I'd say you need to make a note of the exact model number of the TiVo (that thing that starts with TCD), and of the brand and model number of the power supply circuit board (the 652/658 units have a possibility of either of two different models, one from one company and one from the other).

Find the capacitor threads in this forum and find where someone has already been kind enough to list the replacement caps you need to order for the particular power supply which you have.

If you can handle backprobing the motherboard power plug without electrocuting yourself, you should be able to handle a simple soldering job.

In the meantime, try measuring the voltages with the hard drive disconnected and see if there's much variation.

Also, try booting it (with the cover off) with nothing plugged into the USB or Ethernet ports, the fan disconnected, and no cable cards installed, but with the drive connected.

If it works, copy shows off to PC while you wait for that cap order to arrive, just to be on the safe side, assuming that reconnecting the Ethernet cord or USB net adapter *after* the hard drive has gotten spun up and the TiVo booted* doesn't cause it to crash.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote