TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
Malguy

Big Grin New user observations

Hi,

The ads made the TiVo Roamio sound like the best thing since sliced bread, so I bought the basic unit and installed it on January 15, 2014. These are my observations since that time. Some of you may read this and come away thinking that I am just an unhappy owner complaining, I assure you that these are only observations, not complaints.

1). Very slow signal transfer/retrieval from the TiVo to the TV, via HDMI
when the TV is turned off for a long period of time, like overnight.

2). Very slow response when switching between tuners.

3). Frequent V301 errors, when selecting YOU TUBE, APPS & GAMES or
XFINITY.

4). Constant, at least 4 days per week, C133 errors when trying to record or
set a season pass or when I select “What to Watch Now” or “Search”. (I
have reported this error to support, and after 2 days of performing their
scripted procedures, which I performed before emailing them, and being
passed around to 4 different people without my issue being escalated,
they finally came to the conclusion that my network connection is fine
and then came back with “We don't currently have an estimation as to
when an update may be available, but we are working diligently to
ensure the C133 error is resolved soon.” Which, to me means, after
dealing with many support people, we’ll get to it when we get to it.
Hopefully I’m wrong.

5). APPS frequently are missing but may appear several hours later.

The device seems to be very “buggy”.

I am not looking for fixes to these issues, they have all been reported to support as far as I know.

Once again, these are only observations not complaints, I will continue to “hang in there” until a fix is found and applied.

Malguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Not seeing any of these.
How is the Roamio connected to the router?
What is the router Make and Model?

Sounds like you are using the Built-in WiFi and your Wireless network and/or router is not very robust.

Or the Roamio's WiFi is still active/connected while using Ethernet causing a network connection conflict.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Yes, most of those are problems with your network and not the TiVo (unless the network problem turns out to be a hardware problem with the network interface on your TiVo), and so waiting "until a fix is found" is not going to work for you. Most folks don't see problems 3,4,5.

Problem 2 sounds like it's taking a long time for your TV and TiVo when you change video format between channels (eg, going from 720p to 1080i). You can speed things up by specifying a single video format on the TiVo, like always outputting 1080p. What is a "very slow response" for you (all HD channel changes on TiVos take at least a couple of seconds - that's the nature of any HD DVR)?

Problem 1 I've never heard of, can you describe it more?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #4
Malguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Yes, most of those are problems with your network and not the TiVo (unless the network problem turns out to be a hardware problem with the network interface on your TiVo), and so waiting "until a fix is found" is not going to work for you. Most folks don't see problems 3,4,5.

Problem 2 sounds like it's taking a long time for your TV and TiVo when you change video format between channels (eg, going from 720p to 1080i). You can speed things up by specifying a single video format on the TiVo, like always outputting 1080p. What is a "very slow response" for you (all HD channel changes on TiVos take at least a couple of seconds - that's the nature of any HD DVR)?

Problem 1 I've never heard of, can you describe it more?
My network is fine, even support found that to be true. Once again I will say that I am not looking for fixes, these are just observations

Old 02-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malguy View Post
My network is fine, even support found that to be true. Once again I will say that I am not looking for fixes, these are just observations
You probably should be looking for fixes, because a lot of these problems are not normal behavior for the Roamio, at least one that is working properly, which yours doesn't seem to be doing.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
tomhorsley

Quote:
I find this with all sorts of things that use HDMI. The whole HDMI encryption and handshaking thing is a disaster and almost no electronics vendors implement it competently. Heck, I remember a DVD player I had that couldn't resync at all. If you ever switched the TV to another input or turned it off, all you'd get was snow if you switched back to the DVD player. You had to power cycle the DVD player and fast forward to where you left off to resume watching (which is why I "had" the DVD player and don't "have" it now :-). If possible, do what I do - use the component output, then all HDMI nonsense goes away.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
In your own words, this most likely is your problem, Unless you changed your router, even you questioned it's capability.

The Built-in Roamio WiFi is no where near as reliable as a stand-alone Dual-Band Wireless to Ethernet Bridge.

Quote:
Hi,

Sorry if this topic has been covered, I searched for an answer but could not find one. If you know of a thread that covered this topic, please let me know.

I will be receiving my basic Tivo Roamio on Thursday and plan on connecting to the internet wirelessly. I currently have a cable modem/gateway supplied by Comcast, but am wondering if that will provide a strong enough signal to connect my Tivo, or if I should invest in a wireless router. The Tivo will be located about 20 or 30 feet from the modem/gateway which is in a spare bedroom, so there are walls that may block the signal. My phone is currently connected through the modem/gateway and the signal fluctuates between “good” and “excellent”, depending on where I am in the house, it’s “good” in the living room where the Tivo will be located.

Thanks for your input.

Pete

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 02-20-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #8
waynomo
My One Time

Received my Roamio on 2/6. I'm not experiencing any of the problems you are.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:04 AM   #9
Rob_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Received my Roamio on 2/6. I'm not experiencing any of the problems you are.

I too recently starting using the Roamio and have none of the issues above.

Some of the issues I am seeing so far are below:

I do find that when I click on 'What's on now', and then select a program from the list it's not always the same as what Tivo thinks is there (pretty sure my cable provider option is set correctly).

I also find Hulu+ to be almost complete garbage (at least compared to Netflix) - I assume this is a Hulu+ issue (I have not used Hulu+ on anything but the Tivo so this might be across all platforms). It's incredibly slow and very user unfriendly in general in my opinion.

Lastly, my wife created a wish list for George Clooney and Tivo likes to fill it with Episodes of Full House :-)
Rob_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:50 AM   #10
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_W View Post
I also find Hulu+ to be almost complete garbage (at least compared to Netflix) - I assume this is a Hulu+ issue (I have not used Hulu+ on anything but the Tivo so this might be across all platforms). It's incredibly slow and very user unfriendly in general in my opinion.
It is mostly the old Hulu Plus UI, the newest Hulu UI is very much like the new Netflix and much faster, or at least easier to navigate. Samsung SmartTVs and Rokus have the newer Hulu. I would expect TiVo will get it in the future.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/31/hulu-plus-update/

http://blog.roku.com/blog/2013/05/31...available-now/

Old 02-21-2014, 07:30 AM   #11
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Competent support would never say your network is fine. They would say they could find no problems with your network. Establishing the network is fine would require an on-site visit with all kinds of diagnostics, especially if it is wireless.

There is something wrong with your network, ISP, or networking hardware (including on the TiVo). C133 errors are network errors when trying to connect with TiVo. There's been half-a-dozen episodes over the past few months where it's been TiVo servers causing the network error, but it sounds like you are getting them much more frequently than that.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #12
marklyn

Malguy,
I think it's unfair for you to post your 'observations', all negative experiences and not expect them to be treated like complaints.
You don't really have any substance to things you tried other than a generic comment that Tivo says 'your network is fine'.
The vast majority of Tivo users don't have the problems you're describing and many that might take time to diagnose and fix issues by way of forum help/suggestions/advice.
I too had a few minor glitches with my Tivo and in EVERY case it was either TW cable issues, improper settings on my end or hardware (coax splitters). I wish that I could have unboxed it, plugged in the cable card, powered everything up and everything worked right from the start, but it didn't. It didn't, as in many cases, because while Tivo is tried and true, there is always going to be other things in the mix that the Tivo 'needs' in order to operate the way it is supposed to. It took me a while to realize and accept some responsibility on my end and fix/correct some of these issues myself. Now I have a reliable Tivo experience.
I really think that if you want a credible response, you need to take the extra time to post specifics on exactly what you have in the way of hardware and more detailed steps on what you've tried. Since you put this post out here for all to see, you should either take the feedback you're getting and look inside your network, settings, etc., and try to resolve this with help from others or just abandon your post and call it your opinion.
I'm not trying to insult you, I just think you really need to make more of an effort so you have have the same great experience as the vast majority of us are having.

Confused about your next post (after your original). Your original post states that you'll hang in there until a fix is found. Your next post states that these are just observations, and you're not looking for a fix. Not sure what you want here.
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #13
mike3775

Quote:
I have yet to experience that issue

Quote:
I never seen any sort of lag when going between tuners.

Quote:
XFINITY.
Never had that happen.

Quote:
Hopefully I’m wrong.
I have yet to have this issue pop up yet.

Quote:
Never had an APP disappear for any amount of time.

I have one minor issue with my roamio pro, but its so minor I have learned to live with it for the most part, and thats the fact that if I lose cable and something is being recorded, I cannot stop the recording until cable comes back. But it happens so infrequently, that it is not a major issue to me at all.
mike3775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #14
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
Hi,

The ads made the TiVo Roamio sound like the best thing since sliced bread, so I bought the basic unit and installed it on January 15, 2014. These are my observations since that time. Some of you may read this and come away thinking that I am just an unhappy owner complaining, I assure you that these are only observations, not complaints.

XFINITY.

Hopefully I’m wrong.

I am not looking for fixes to these issues, they have all been reported to support as far as I know.

Once again, these are only observations not complaints, I will continue to “hang in there” until a fix is found and applied.
Quote:
1) & 2). Very slow signal transfer/retrieval from the TiVo to the TV, via HDMI
Not exactly sure what you are talking about there but go to TiVo central/settings & messages/settings/video/video output format, and make sure ONLY 1080i is checked, see if that takes care of that, you can always change it back to what it is.

#'s 3 & 4, I don't get those errors at all period. I have a Roamio Pro and Verizon FiOS service. That is why I ask if XFINITY might be your problem?. Don't be to quick to defend XFINITY, XFINITY is Comcast, and Comcast sucks!! IMO of course

If you are truly unhappy with your TiVo and within the warranty period make them send you a new one. My Roamio runs like long time users have always wanted our TiVo's to run. Fast and smooth with everything working!

Good Luck..

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Last edited by Joe01880 : 02-21-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Joe01880 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #15
Malguy

Red face

Quote:
Hi,

XFINITY.

Hopefully I’m wrong.

Hi,

I must now "eat my words", I have found that after re-reading this post, that it does sound like I am complaining. That was NOT my intention, but it does come off that way.

I do realize that my network cannot be judged to be fine, as support told me, but since they are support, and are supposed to know what's what, I felt like they should have an idea about what is correct or not. So as I wait for a response from support, I will continue to investigate a resolution for my issues.

Thanks to all of you that took the time to read this post, and offer suggestions, even though I may not have been willing, at the time, to accept them. Thanks also to those of you that "put me in my place" without coming off as being overly stern.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #16
marklyn

I really hope you take the time to work through this. I was very frustrated a few times here and there but quickly learned to address my frustration to the right people (TW cable and me!). Once I got everything cleared up, I learned a LOT and I'm so much happier than I was with DirecTV's DVR's and service. So much happier. Good luck and reach out when you're ready.
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #17
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

The slow switching between tuner's thing, without more information sounds like the video resolution setting inside of the TiVo. When our HD TV's switch between resolutions it can take a while. Setting the TiVo to 1080i only will fix that issue.
The Network errors could very well be the TiVo as there are other threads where people talk about having problems with the wifi and the moca can be tricky. Honestly I may very well have those issues too but I'm connected via Ethernet, that's not going to change so I may never know and if I do have problems with wifi and or moca hopefully TiVo will push out a fix so I will never know

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #18
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Well, if you're seeing those things and others aren't then what's the point of posting if not to benefit from possible fixes?

You may learn that support isn't the end-all-be-all when it comes to getting effective answers regarding Tivo devices. Yeah, you'd wish that were so, but they're likely underpaid wage slaves like any other support group. Which gets you a very mixed bag. Sometimes they're just regurgitating from a script, sometimes they're actually well-informed and sometimes they only "think" they know they're talking about. At least that's been my experience dealing with them.

But if you're willing to give it a go, might I ask for some details?

1) which make/model of TV is it?

Some do better jobs at handling the HDMI handshaking that goes on between them and the source devices like a Tivo, disc player or a receiver. Might you be able to change out the HDMI cable for a different one? HDMI is finicky, some cables do a better job than others (and it's rarely price-related).

2) as others have stated, consider setting your Tivo's video output format to the highest resolution your TV will support. This will help avoid causing the TV to resynchronize the signal every time you change a channel or display a different program. The Tivo's built-in scaler does a reasonably decent job of upscaling when you're watching older 4:3 content (non HD stuff).

3,4&5) again as others have stated, this has a lot to do with networking. How is yours getting a network connection? Is it wireless or wired?

Those issues are indeed annoying and could well indicate there's something wrong with your Tivo or how it's connected and configured.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #19
Rob_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
It is mostly the old Hulu Plus UI, the newest Hulu UI is very much like the new Netflix and much faster, or at least easier to navigate. Samsung SmartTVs and Rokus have the newer Hulu. I would expect TiVo will get it in the future.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/31/hulu-plus-update/

http://blog.roku.com/blog/2013/05/31...available-now/
Too bad the new interface for Hulu came out 9 months ago and TiVo doesn't have it.
Rob_W is offline   Reply With Quote