TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-17-2015, 08:25 PM   #1
jefftoshibasd

Using Toshiba SD400 at Hotel with Dish HD

I'm staying at extended stay hotel for work for a couple months and brought my old TiVo Series 2 SD unit. I was able to get it up and running but the issue is when I run the cable from the hotel wall outlet to the TiVo unit I'm receiving only 25 channels (between 16 and 42) of the 41 (channels 2-42) the hotel provides and they are not the same numbers as on the lineup card provided by the hotel. There was no box or anything the hotel is using, just straight regular cable from wall to the back of the TV.

Basically anything listed as “HD” specifically on the hotel line-up card is totally missing including the local channels. I’m fine with missing a couple HD only channels but would really like to find a way to receive the local network stations. I'm getting a "You have Dish 500" on channel 18. Any suggestion on how to get my local Dallas channels into the TiVo without giving up the cable channels? I tried calling Dish but they wanted an account number which I don’t have so I’m not sure how to best proceed.

jefftoshibasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:57 PM   #2
telemark

What kind of TV did you unplug the cable from?

There's so many things a hotel can deploy it's not likely someone would just guess at the right answer.

But as a general comment, are you trying to pick up HD channels on a SD device? I'm not sure how that's going to work out either.

telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:34 PM   #3
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Many hotels receive signals from satellite (DirecTV or Dish) and then re-broadcast them over coax to internal channel numbers that they have programmed into the TV sets. These are not standard lineups at all and will most likely not work at all with any guide data from TiVo.

Most of these hotels will have only the SD or HD version of a channel. With your SD box, you will only be able to receive the SD channels. The channel numbers will probably not match what's on the TV in the room, and they certainly won't match a Dish lineup.

If you call TiVo, they may be able to set up a guide location just for that hotel, if you give them details about which station is being received on each channel. I have heard of TiVo doing this for extended stays in the past. But there's nothing you can do to receive any of the HD channels, and since most hotels use really weird sub-channels internally to send HD content, I doubt TiVo could make a guide for them anyway.

If you want to receive local channels, you would need a digital tuner box that can tune them from an antenna, and then plug that into the TiVo and have the TiVo control the box. The time and expense to get this working seems like a waste, when you can go buy a Roamio OTA for 50 bucks.

Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:00 AM   #4
telemark

A Roamio OTA would pick up the HD channels, but you would lose the SD channels if they're analog only.

The 2-tuner Premiere has Analog+Digital tuners. Also the Series3's. These are your best bet, but you won't get recordings until you get the guide data fixed somehow.

telemark is offline   Reply With Quote