TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
rcandsc
Mark it 8 Dude..

New Roamio Pro Arriving Tomorrow

Tracking my new Roamio from TIVO.com, and it is set to arrive via UPS tomorrow.

Have my new cable card and SDV Tuning Adapter from TWC in hand and ready to go.

I have set up a TIVO HD, a Premiere XL4 and a Series 3 in the past, so not anticipating any issues. Anyone have any experiences with setup that I should watch out for with my new Roamio?
rcandsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
moonscape

Wireless can be dicey. I bought a new router in preparation, but then mine was an old Netgear G. The router is in the loft about 15-20' from the Roamio as the crow flies and is working well so far. If you're wired then no issues.

That's pretty much all I can think of, except I didn't right away pair the remote to the unit via the menu since only having had S2s and S3s that was new to me.

Congrats on your new Tivo!
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
CraigK
(unspecified)

With your experience you probably won't have any issues if the CableCARD and TA get setup okay.

I had our new Roamio hooked up with ethernet to my router until I got everything up and running (software update, guide data, cablecard etc.) then moved it to the other end of the house and setup wireless.

I copied Season Passes from an HD by way of the TiVo website.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:26 AM   #4
c133roamioerrors

If you don't use wireless, things will go smoothly.
In 2012 I bought an xl4 and with the cabling, cablecard and making the wireless connection I had Comcast do it. The Comcast tech wasn't familiar with setting up a Tivo, so I learned from their mistakes. It took multiple attempts to get all the channels working. As a first time user I learned about a lot of undesirable defaults like automatic recording of suggested programs. I had zero communication errors in a year.

With a year of experience I felt comfortable setting up my roamio pro. I got it set up despite multiple communication errors and the activation of the cable card went very smoothly. I guess Comcast became more experienced with the process.

In my house the internal wireless adapter is almost useless and for months I dealt with c133 communication errors and connection to Netflix errors.

I eventually used a netgear extender plugged directly jnto the roamio's Ethernet port and then signed up for netgear's support so they could assist me with changing my router settings. They increased the speed and changed the channel. I still have some of the same errors, but much less frequently and at an almost acceptable level. I had none of these issues with the xl4.
c133roamioerrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:52 AM   #5
tarheelblue32

Don't be surprised if your CableCard has to update its firmware when you install it. The one TWC gave me had to update the firmware before it would do anything else, and it took about 2 hours. Just be sure you don't lose power or pull the card out while it's updating the firmware or you will brick the card and you'll have to go get another one from Time Warner.

Also, the first tuning adapter that TWC gave me didn't work and I had to go back down and get a second one. I don't think they bother to test the CableCards or the Tuning Adapters before they hand them out, so don't be surprised if you get a dud and have to swap it out for another.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:03 AM   #6
rcandsc
Mark it 8 Dude..

The install went very smoothly. Thanks to all for the advice about wireless. Fortunately, very close to my router, so hard wired was always going to be my first option.

No issues with the cable card at all. TWC is so much better than they were back when I tried to set up my first S3....the hotline help was excellent, and took about 10 minutes from start to finish once I finished guided set up.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:19 AM   #7
rcandsc
Mark it 8 Dude..

So, it's been 2 1/2 days since the Roamio Pro arrived and I would say that this TIVO is so fast, it's hard to believe how slow the Premiere XL4 menus and interface are in comparison. Using the HD interface is night and day compared to any other TIVO I have owned.

A few other observations:
  • Started with v301 errors with Netflix and Amazon- reconnecting to the TIVO service, un-checking the video providers and re selecting them again after network connection rectified the situation
  • When hitting the left arrow key to go back to my shows, the HD window will lose sound for anywhere from 1-3 seconds. Not a consistent issue, and just started last night.
  • Transfers from my Premiere XL4 were excruciatingly slow for the first day, taking almost 12 hours to transfer 2 30 minute HD shows. Then the next 10 1/2 hour HD transfers took less than 10 hours to complete. Will test more transferes later to see if this will be ongoing.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
snoopdogg1

You have Time Warner Cable, and you can TRANSFER shows from your Premiere?!?! Wish I could do that. My shows are stuck on my HDXL. Time Warner puts a flag on all non-network shows so they can't be transferred. It really stinks that they do this!!

Can you share how you transferred your shows? When I find the other box at the bottom of the list "My Shows", almost all of my shows have a Red X on the left side, and the Tivo says the shows can't be transferred due to copyright issues or something like that. From what I have read, this is a Time Warner issue systemwide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandsc View Post
So, it's been 2 1/2 days since the Roamio Pro arrived and I would say that this TIVO is so fast, it's hard to believe how slow the Premiere XL4 menus and interface are in comparison. Using the HD interface is night and day compared to any other TIVO I have owned.

A few other observations:
  • Started with v301 errors with Netflix and Amazon- reconnecting to the TIVO service, un-checking the video providers and re selecting them again after network connection rectified the situation
  • When hitting the left arrow key to go back to my shows, the HD window will lose sound for anywhere from 1-3 seconds. Not a consistent issue, and just started last night.
  • Transfers from my Premiere XL4 were excruciatingly slow for the first day, taking almost 12 hours to transfer 2 30 minute HD shows. Then the next 10 1/2 hour HD transfers took less than 10 hours to complete. Will test more transferes later to see if this will be ongoing.

HDXL
Series 2 (dead)
snoopdogg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
rcandsc
Mark it 8 Dude..

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopdogg1 View Post

Can you share how you transferred your shows? When I find the other box at the bottom of the list "My Shows", almost all of my shows have a Red X on the left side, and the Tivo says the shows can't be transferred due to copyright issues or something like that. From what I have read, this is a Time Warner issue systemwide.
Before the Roamio arrived, I had the same issue. All non-network shows had the red x and were not able to be transferred.

I was surprised when I went into the XL4 lost of shows from the Roamio, and the only things I can't transfer are episodes that I downloaded from Amazon. Everything else seems to be able to be transferred. I know that HBO is one of those, as I transferred two episodes of True Detective as part of my initial transfers.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
snoopdogg1

Are you transferring wirelessly, or do you have the 2 units hooked up via Ethernet? I have mine on wireless, and still have the red X's when I look at the HDXL list from the Roamio Pro. Darn Time Warner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandsc View Post
Before the Roamio arrived, I had the same issue. All non-network shows had the red x and were not able to be transferred.

I was surprised when I went into the XL4 lost of shows from the Roamio, and the only things I can't transfer are episodes that I downloaded from Amazon. Everything else seems to be able to be transferred. I know that HBO is one of those, as I transferred two episodes of True Detective as part of my initial transfers.

HDXL
Series 2 (dead)
snoopdogg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #11
rcandsc
Mark it 8 Dude..

Quote:
Are you transferring wirelessly, or do you have the 2 units hooked up via Ethernet? I have mine on wireless, and still have the red X's when I look at the HDXL list from the Roamio Pro. Darn Time Warner!
I have everything hard wired.

I just went into my Now Playing on the XL4 and now I can't transfer anything outside of network shows. Everything has a red x. I must have gotten some sort of a special dispensation on the first 2 HBO recordings. Weird....
Old 02-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #12
javabird

Quote:
You have Time Warner Cable, and you can TRANSFER shows from your Premiere?!?! Wish I could do that. My shows are stuck on my HDXL. Time Warner puts a flag on all non-network shows so they can't be transferred. It really stinks that they do this!!

I had this same issue trying to transfer shows from my TiVo HDX L to my Roamio Pro. All the HBO shows had a red X. I have Comcast.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote