TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
Ebeeson88

Will a mini function properly through ethernet off a bridge?

Title says it all.

Using either a netgear or actiontec bridge(provided by cable company) can you hook coax to the in port of the bridge and then run ethernet to the mini and have it function correctly? If not please explain why.

Thanks

Ebeeson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

Are you referring to a moca network? If you have a moca network, you won't need an actiontec bridge. The Mini will work straight from the coax.

If you don't have a moca network, you can learn how to make one here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=501722

BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
Ebeeson88

I guess you could look at it as streaming a connection through the bridge. I'm an installer with a cable company and I've noticed a lot of people putting a bridge behind the mini then running coax to that bridge and then ethernet from the bridge to the mini.

I have seen a lot of connection issues with this set up. Why put a bridge behind the mini when you could just put the coax to the mini and run actual MOCA.

I see it not functioning properly and just trying to understand why it's not.

Ebeeson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
BigJimOutlaw

It CAN be done that way, but it's an unnecessary expense. I guess whoever is doing the installing doesn't understand that moca is built in to the Mini.

The most common points of failure in a moca network we've seen here in the forums are the usual culprits... old/inadequate splitters, improperly located amps, ancient coax.

Sometimes people inadvertently create 2 moca networks by connecting their moca-enabled Tivo DVR by ethernet *and* connecting a moca bridge to the router. Only one or the other is needed. Doing both can cause interference.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw; 12-23-2014 at 12:54 PM..
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
The only reason to do it that way is if you wanted to run the bridge into a switch so you could add other devices to the MoCa network. For example we have a setup like that, but the room where the Mini is also has a printer. Since the Mini doesn't do bridging we had to use a dedicated bridge device to make it work.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
confinoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The only reason to do it that way is if you wanted to run the bridge into a switch so you could add other devices to the MoCa network. For example we have a setup like that, but the room where the Mini is also has a printer. Since the Mini doesn't do bridging we had to use a dedicated bridge device to make it work.

This is how mine is set up. I have multiple devices in the room with my Mini - slingbox, Apple TV, router to extend wifi coverage. I have moca coming in through an Actiontec 4 port gige adapter. Mini and other devices connected via ethernet. Works perfect. I don't see why this setup would cause problems.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
One thing they might be doing wrong is connecting the coax output of the Actiontec to the coax input on the Mini. That could cause a MoCa conflict. If you're using a separate MoCa adapter the only thing that should be plugged into the back of the Mini is the Ethernet cable.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #8
Bigg

If you want other MoCA devices at the same location, I'd use a cable splitter, and let the Mini hit the MoCA directly, but either way will work.

Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #9
confinoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
If you want other MoCA devices at the same location, I'd use a cable splitter, and let the Mini hit the MoCA directly, but either way will work.
Can you explain the reasoning behind this? All devices would still be using the same MoCA network in the end. As long as you have a quality switch or multiport MoCA adapter there should be no difference. Also wouldn't a split just potentially degrade a MoCA signal?

Old 12-28-2014, 12:05 AM   #10
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Can you explain the reasoning behind this? All devices would still be using the same MoCA network in the end. As long as you have a quality switch or multiport MoCA adapter there should be no difference. Also wouldn't a split just potentially degrade a MoCA signal?
MoCA is extremely resilient in terms of splitter loss, but it's not likely to make any practical difference one way or another. Putting and Ethernet switch and MoCA adapter is just one more thing to fail in terms of the Mini.

Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote