TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
mr_smits

v301 on Mini

My setup: Roamio Pro & Mini connected using Ethernet to gigabit switch.

Losing my patience with this issue. Netflix on the Mini has started becoming more unreliable. Last night, Tivo was working fine, but I couldn't launch Netflix. I even forced a call to the mothership, but that didn't work.

Instead, I dug out my laptop and Chromecasted to my tv! Such a clunky work around worked perfectly, but somehow Netflix on my Tivo Mini was unavailable.

What the hell is going on? This is happening more and more, and it shouldn't be.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
mburnno

don't be surprised if you call Tivo support and you tell them you are using a gigabit switch they come back with "we don't support switches". As crazy as it may seem there is a discussion about the use of switches and Tivo. I guess to Tivo support everybody should either be using MOCA or everything should be using a combo router / switch. I hope you get your issue fixed soon.
mburnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburnno View Post
don't be surprised if you call Tivo support and you tell them you are using a gigabit switch they come back with "we don't support switches". As crazy as it may seem there is a discussion about the use of switches and Tivo. I guess to Tivo support everybody should either be using MOCA or everything should be using a combo router / switch. I hope you get your issue fixed soon.
Isn't MOCA an inferior technology to ethernet?

My Mini has worked fine with Netflix until the latest flakiness.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
Grakthis

Quote:
TIVO doesn't support switches? That's maybe the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Have they ever actually said that? A router/switch combo is still a switch... its might be a level 3 or 4 switch, but it's still a switch.

If a TiVo support rep ever told me they didn't support switches, I would immediately ask for a different rep. I promise you, there is no TiVo in the USA that connects to netflix without going through at least one or two switches first.

Maybe the rep was trying to say "we can't help you debug if your switch is bad or not, can you try removing it from the network so we can see what happens?"
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
Maybe the rep was trying to say "we can't help you debug if your switch is bad or not, can you try removing it from the network so we can see what happens?"
That's exactly how I interpret the "don't support" answer.

One company can not be expected to trouble-shoot hardware or software from another company.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post

One company can not be expected to trouble-shoot hardware or software from another company.
While true, they would need to have a valid reason to suspect the switch is bad. Otherwise, they might as well say "we don't support Ethernet cables" or "we don't support ISPs."

You have to assume that extremely basic and wide spread technologies that do not fail easily are WORKING unless you are given a reason to think they presently are not working.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
Nailz

Still on the fence on whether to buy Roamio & Mini combo. These types of threads give me pause.
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #8
ncfoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailz View Post
Still on the fence on whether to buy Roamio & Mini combo. These types of threads give me pause.
What part gives you pause? If it is the gigabit switch thing, I think that information is misleading, at best. My install could not have gone more smoothly.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #9
mr_smits

Quote:
Want to buy mine? Kidding...for now. Overall, it's great. However, it's incredibly frustrating that a $35 gizmo bested my > $1200 Tivo Roamio and Mini setup for watching Netflix.

I have to hope that Tivo is doing something fantastic behind the scenes that is causing these outages and problems.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #10
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
Want to buy mine? Kidding...for now. Overall, it's great. However, it's incredibly frustrating that a $35 gizmo bested my > $1200 Tivo Roamio and Mini setup for watching Netflix.

I have to hope that Tivo is doing something fantastic behind the scenes that is causing these outages and problems.
I use my chromecast for watching netflix because I like driving it with my phone more than I like using a remote.

I mean, i didn't get a mini for watching netflix... I got it for watching live TV.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #11
Nailz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post
What part gives you pause? If it is the gigabit switch thing, I think that information is misleading, at best. My install could not have gone more smoothly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post

As I would hope the install should go smoothly. I understand that some people will have problems. The MOCA network could be affected by older splitters/RG59/improper termination. Could be they have RG6 quad shield, but the run is too long. TCP/IP network could be affected by the same things. Improper setup of the router/firewall could affect access to the home network from an outside network. A gigabit switch should not cause a problem unless the switch is managed and setup incorrectly.

So in a nutshell, I understand that it may not always be the fault of the Tivo equipment/service.

But there are times when it is a problem with the Tivo equipment/service. Netflix is important to me because I do not want to buy a Roku/Chromecast. I want to buy the Tivo solution because it is a great DVR, multi-room experience, network (Netflix) streamer, allows me to take recorded shows with me and allows me to stream to a portable device outside of my home network. If it is not these things, then I need to rethink my choices.

Curtis

Last edited by Nailz : 02-20-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #12
mburnno

Quote:
TIVO doesn't support switches? That's maybe the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Have they ever actually said that? A router/switch combo is still a switch... its might be a level 3 or 4 switch, but it's still a switch.

If a TiVo support rep ever told me they didn't support switches, I would immediately ask for a different rep. I promise you, there is no TiVo in the USA that connects to netflix without going through at least one or two switches first.

Yes, I have actually heard them tell me this and I argued the point with them. I tried to explain to them that a combo Router no matter what the hell you call it is still using the switch. As a matter of fact, I have had several reps tell me this. This type of example is why I hate calling and talking to complete Jack Asses in support.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #13
mburnno

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post

No one is asking for Tivo to support another companies products but to flat out make a statement like this is just ass-nine. If you really think about it, most consumer level switches are non-managed and everything is done via the firmware built into the switch. It stands to reason that if everything is working on the network "EXCEPT" the Tivo crap then TIVO has a problem with their stuff. Just making the statement like that to me is a pure kick the can down the road off the cuff comment with no way to backup their claims that the switch is causing the issue.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #14
mburnno

Quote:
I can tell this much and that is my installs were great for years and years until the new Roamio's came out. I have fought tooth and nail with support about it. The problem is Tivo fails to either believe it is their fault or knows about it and the support staff hands are tied to say anything. I am at a real cross roads as to what I am going to do this august when my one year contract is up. I know Comcast's X1 or X2 by that time may not be the best but damn, at least Comcast gives service credits when they muck things up.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #15
Nailz

I think some of the Tivo staff do not fully understand the product.

When I called to get pricing I was told I needed the MOCA adapter even with a Roamio Plus because the MOCA network required a loop? I tried to explain that I did not believe that to be the case to the sales person, but they kept insisting. The person did not want to transfer me to someone else.

Curtis
Old 02-20-2014, 09:58 PM   #16
mr_smits

Quote:
I use my chromecast for watching netflix because I like driving it with my phone more than I like using a remote.

I mean, i didn't get a mini for watching netflix... I got it for watching live TV.
I got a Roamio and 2 Minis to watch recorded tv, live tv, Netflix, and downloadable content from Amazon.

Update: restarted Roamio box and router, and Mini Netflix is working now.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #17
Nailz

How do you like the Netflix performance on the Mini?

Thnaks,

Curtis
Old 02-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #18
mr_smits

Quote:

It's great. Much better than Netflix on the Premiere or S3. Loads quickly. With the Premiere, I was waiting what seemed like a full minute for it to load. In reality, more like 30-40 seconds.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #19
Nailz

Thanks for the feedback. I know my wife will definitely want to watch Netflix in her craft room.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #20
Grakthis

Quote:
Yes, I have actually heard them tell me this and I argued the point with them. I tried to explain to them that a combo Router no matter what the hell you call it is still using the switch. As a matter of fact, I have had several reps tell me this. This type of example is why I hate calling and talking to complete Jack Asses in support.

Yeah, I would immediately, at that point, say "You don't know what you're talking about, transfer me to someone who does." That's just a giant red flag that the support person you're talking to is over his or her head.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #21
ncfoster

Quote:
I would think it excellent if I could just avoid the stupid speed ramp-up problem that I seem to have on all Tivo implementations. But, yes, it is better than on my old Premiere, and probably not quite as good as on my Roamio. Overall, quite respectable.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:30 AM   #22
Nailz

Quote:
I would think it excellent if I could just avoid the stupid speed ramp-up problem that I seem to have on all Tivo implementations. But, yes, it is better than on my old Premiere, and probably not quite as good as on my Roamio. Overall, quite respectable.
Thanks ncfoster.