TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-02-2016, 11:27 PM   #1
bgc

How warm is your Roamio Basic to the touch?

I'm talking about the 4 tuner w/cable card, not the OTA model.

Mine is very warm over the mobo area. When you unscrew the cable from the cable/ant in jack on the back, it is quite warm and not far from being hot to the touch. I took the top off and plugged it in and the fan is spinning.

I'm coming from a series 2 so the system info screen is a little different, is the MBT listing the mobo temp? The room is prob. 72F - 74F, anyone know how high a safe temp is?

Thanks,
BGC

bgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:27 AM   #2
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgc View Post
I'm talking about the 4 tuner w/cable card, not the OTA model.

Mine is very warm over the mobo area. When you unscrew the cable from the cable/ant in jack on the back, it is quite warm and not far from being hot to the touch. I took the top off and plugged it in and the fan is spinning.

I'm coming from a series 2 so the system info screen is a little different, is the MBT listing the mobo temp? The room is prob. 72F - 74F, anyone know how high a safe temp is?

Thanks,
BGC
Always been that way. Without an external fan my MBT is 40C. I would not lose any sleep over it, I haven't had any problems in over a year.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:22 AM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Yes MBT is the mobo temp -- don't know why TiVo resorts to such obscure terminology. I have the same TiVo model and the MBT runs the coolest of any TiVo I've ever had, around 38C -- with room temp at 68F. I haven't bothered to see how hot it feels to the touch.

I think anything up to 50C is considered acceptable by TiVo.

So what is your MBT?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:47 AM   #4
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Yes MBT is the mobo temp -- don't know why TiVo resorts to such obscure terminology. I have the same TiVo model and the MBT runs the coolest of any TiVo I've ever had, around 38C -- with room temp at 68F. I haven't bothered to see how hot it feels to the touch.

So what is your MBT?
I heard the Bolt went to F. On my Mini boxes I saw they were 49 to 51C. I added 120mm 12v fans on top. Now they are 33C. There were no problems, but I like to play with my stuff.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:20 AM   #5
essential

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I heard the Bolt went to F. On my Mini boxes I saw they were 49 to 51C. I added 120mm 12v fans on top. Now they are 33C. There were no problems, but I like to play with my stuff.
Do you exhaust the Mini's with those fans or blow air into them?

essential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:45 AM   #6
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by essential View Post
Do you exhaust the Mini's with those fans or blow air into them?
The fans sit on top and airflow is down. I have dust shields on them also. They are silent and not much air is moving.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191699325196...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170573528103...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I splice in the 12V from old wall warts.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:14 AM   #7
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
The fans sit on top and airflow is down. I have dust shields on them also. They are silent and not much air is moving.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191699325196...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170573528103...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I splice in the 12V from old wall warts.
LOL. How elegant! I was thinking about enclosing my mini in a mini-fridge but this sounds so much more stylish! .

and
Old 02-03-2016, 10:18 AM   #8
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
LOL. How elegant! I was thinking about enclosing my mini in a mini-fridge but this sounds so much more stylish! .
Small disadvantage: the fan on top means the v1 (IR) may be an issue since the extra height prevents me from placing it under my TV's low stand. It's a small TV. With v2 Mini the RF doesn't care.

V1 Mini and fan is about 3" but since it's a flat panel I can move it back enough to still work with the IR remote. I would add an external fan to my basic Roamio if I could find a viable solution. So far nothing simple seems to work.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #9
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I would add an external fan to my basic Roamio if I could find a viable solution. So far nothing simple seems to work.
Why bother? I just re-checked my base Roamio's MBT and it was 38C. I also felt all over it and only some areas were even slightly warm. It's sitting on a shelf in an enclosed cabinet. It's not crowded in and there is some natural ventilation thru holes in the back of the cabinet.

Regarding a fan on top of my mini, it would have to have a pink floral treatment masking it in order to meet my wife's approval.

and
Old 02-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #10
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Why bother? I just re-checked my base Roamio's MBT and it was 38C. I also felt all over it and only some areas were even slightly warm. It's sitting on a shelf in an enclosed cabinet. It's not crowded in and there is some natural ventilation thru holes in the back of the cabinet.

Regarding a fan on top of my mini, it would have to have a pink floral treatment masking it in order to meet my wife's approval.
I like to play with stuff. As for the décor, repurpose. I would look for an old greeting card with something pretty. Cut to size. Like I said, I want black, so I use flat black paint with cardboard.

Remember, this started by a comment on the warmth at the coax input of a basic Roamio. I also have my SB6183 in a small box with a fan. The front is blocked to hide the LED.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:32 PM   #11
bgc

Quote:

So what is your MBT?
Been having cablecard issues so it isn't connected right now. When I completed guided setup I was exploring the interface and I think it was around 40. I am concerned about how warm to the touch it seemed but all I can do is keep an eye on it once I get it working.

Thanks,
BGC

bgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:36 AM   #12
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
. .......
Remember, this started by a comment on the warmth at the coax input of a basic Roamio. ...........
I have a basic Roamio (4-tuner, Cable or OTA). I just now felt the coax cable connecter, keeping my fingers firmly on it for a long time just to be sure. All I feel is slight warmth. Perhaps the internal fan isn't running on some units?

and
Old 02-04-2016, 10:35 AM   #13
L David Matheny

Quote:
I have a basic Roamio (4-tuner, Cable or OTA). I just now felt the coax cable connecter, keeping my fingers firmly on it for a long time just to be sure. All I feel is slight warmth. Perhaps the internal fan isn't running on some units?
My 4-tuner Roamio (used for OTA) is similar. The coax connector is moderately warm but not hot, and the top of the case is noticeably warm, more toward the right side and toward the back, but not warm enough to concern me. I think the MBT runs about 37. The unit is out in the open on top of a cabinet near the TV.

L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote