TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #1
pautler

How can I determine why a show didn't record?

My wife has a title keyword wishlist for "Downton Abbey." It is set for "new & repeats," and "get only in HD." It is very close to the top of the 'recording priority' list (so tuner conflict is not the issue).

The show is on Sunday nights. At 8pm they replay the episode from the week before and at 9pm they play the new episode. For some reason the new episode was not recording last night. My wife turned on the TV in the middle of the episode and realized it wasn't recording, so she promptly tuned to the channel and hit record to at least get what was left of it. I tried to do a little trouble-shooting and found the following:

Guide info appeared fine. The title was correct and it was listed as being "new" with a first aired date of 2/16, and 1080 resolution (so I assume it met the HD requirement, as usual).

Season pass manager -> upcoming episodes: showed the two episodes for next Sunday and it had the 8pm replay episode marked as not going to record because it was a duplicate (presumably because my wife had hit record on the episode that was currently playing, even though it was a partial, so TiVo would not automatically record the same episode again next week). The 9pm 'new' episode for next week was marked to record as I would expect.

History: Not much listed for the day in question. It just shows that it did not record the 8pm Downton Abbey replay episode because it was a duplicate (which it was, from last week).

I'm kinda baffled as to why the 9pm episode didn't automatically record. My only hunch is that it might have something to do with the "only record HD" setting. I originally set that because PBS was playing some of the episodes on both their HD channel and their non-HD channel and I wanted to make sure TiVo would record it from the HD channel (because when left to its own devices it had recorded the non-HD version once or twice).

Any ideas or suggestions for further trouble-shooting would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Joe
pautler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
moyekj

I never trust that HD only setting. I've seen cases for an HD channel and for a show broadcast in HD where it is not marked as HD. Best advice I have for you is to remove SD versions of channels that have HD versions from your channel list and don't use that HD only setting.

(Last night's Downton Abbey episode did record as expected for me last night and is marked as HD for me on my Roamio Pro FWIW).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I never trust that HD only setting. I've seen cases for an HD channel and for a show broadcast in HD where it is not marked as HD. Best advice I have for you is to remove SD versions of channels that have HD versions from your channel list and don't use that HD only setting.
All of this.

Removing all the SD channels also makes the guide view nice and short.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
waynomo
My One Time

Downton Abbey and a few other BBC shows have been problematic. I've always manually double checked to make sure they will record. If they show up in the to do list you should be good.

For this season I created a season pass for Masterpiece Classic after I had issues of it not showing an upcoming episode in the to do list. I haven't had an issue after creating the SP.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:24 AM   #5
pautler

Thank you all very much for the advice.

I have removed the "HD only" option from my title wishlist, and I added a season pass for Masterpiece Classic, above (higher priority than) the wishlist.

That should ensure that I always get the Downton Abbey episodes, along with getting any other shows that have to do with Downton Abbey (such as a 20/20 show that does a feature on it, etc).

I don't want to remove the SD PBS channel because it carries content that is different than the HD channel. Once in a while the same show will show up on both the HD channel and the SD channel, in which case I obviously prefer the HD, but usually the programming on the SD channel is unique and not available on the HD channel.

Thanks again for the help!

-Joe
pautler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #6
Ziggie

Glad this thread was created as this happens to us as well. I'm off to uncheck all the lower SD channels!

TiVo is the boss of me ~ Member of the TiVo family since 2003

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:23 PM   #7
sender_name
XM 202!

You also might want to pad season 4 episode 8 (The season finale) with about an hour because Tivo cut it off at 1Hr right in the middle of the episode when it first aired...
sender_name is offline   Reply With Quote