TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
jar-head

Will the Mini work with DirecTV Tivo?

I have DirecTV. If I get one of the Tivos that DTV offers, will I be able to hook up a Mini to it or does DTV block all of that?
jar-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
djjeesh

Not a chance
djjeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
Bigg

No. If you want DirecTV, you need to use their system, the Genie, and it's corresponding thin client boxes. It's an excellent system, but it's definitely not TiVo. The DirecTiVo they are selling is a complete piece of garbage.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Will the Mini work with DirecTV Tivo?

It's not DirecTV that is "blocking" it, but the THR22 DTiVo doesn't talk to any other DVR, DirecTV or otherwise. While I don't agree that the THR22 is "garbage", I agree that the Genie (and perhaps one of the Genie Minis, or whatever they're called), is a better option. I have both.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:12 PM   #5
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
It's not DirecTV that is "blocking" it, but the THR22 DTiVo doesn't talk to any other DVR, DirecTV or otherwise. While I don't agree that the THR22 is "garbage", I agree that the Genie (and perhaps one of the Genie Minis, or whatever they're called), is a better option. I have both.
Correct. No one said they are blocking it. They are blocking MRV from working with other THR22's at minimum, and working with other DirecTV DVRs or the Genie, as they should all be cross-compatible if they wrote the right software to do it.

The THR22 is garbage. It's basically an HR10-250 updated for DirecTV's current MPEG-4/SWiM system. It's not 2005 any more, but DirecTV doesn't want TiVo, they just made the absolute minimum piece of junk that they could in order to meet the requirements of whatever patent settlement they had with TiVo. They could have to the least made something like a Premiere with multi-room and all of that, even if it wasn't a server/client system like the Genie. And made something that could do MRV with existing DirecTV DVRs and the Genie. It wouldn't be hard, they just don't want TiVo around, so they decided it should be DOA. And it was.

It was a stupid decision on DirecTV's part as well, as any few TiVo enthusiasts who might have been left on DirecTV surely switched to cable when that awful thing came out. If they were smart, they would have had a clean migration to a TiVo box from the HR10-250, and kept it up to date with DirecTV's own DVRs to keep TiVo users on DirecTV.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote