TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
lazarus000

Idle timer for DVR HDD ... good or bad?

I seem to find a different opinion each place I look.

some say that DVR/Tivo are consistently running so any idle spin down just adds wear and tear on the HDD.

Some say that any down time saves your HDD life

looking to replace a hard drive on a THR-22 and it seems like idle time on the HDD is a 'need to know' when deciding which hard drive to buy.

Main thing I'm looking for is reliability and longevity. I hate losing all my records/SP etc every 2-3 years.

at least the THR-22 seems to format/OS the drive for you so I don't have to worry about that.

thanks

Last edited by lazarus000 : 02-21-2014 at 05:38 PM.
lazarus000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
It's always recording - spin down is a waste. It would be best if you buy an AV-rated drive, which means in part it is meant to run continuously and doesn't take itself offline periodically for recalibration, the way desktop drives do.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus000 View Post
I seem to find a different opinion each place I look.

some say that DVR/Tivo are consistently running so any idle spin down just adds wear and tear on the HDD.

Some say that any down time saves your HDD life

looking to replace a hard drive on a THR-22 and it seems like idle time on the HDD is a 'need to know' when deciding which hard drive to buy.

Main thing I'm looking for is reliability and longevity. I hate losing all my records/SP etc every 2-3 years.

at least the THR-22 seems to format/OS the drive for you so I don't have to worry about that.

thanks
Since a TiVo is always recording, there is no idling being done, it never gets a chance to, except during a "soft" or "warm" reboot.

What you have to watch out for is the Intellipark feature enabled on some WD "Green" drives. It needs to be disabled if the drive is going to be used in a TiVo, so that the drive isn't asleep when the motherboard calls upon it during a reboot.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
Sheffield Steve

Just to echo what stevel said. Not all drives work in the THR-22. You get pixelization and stuttering as they cannot move data fast enough.

I tested several 2TB drives (I had access to them through work) and the only one I found that would work was an Hitachi. Although others have used other types successfully.

p.s. There are threads on here with the details
Sheffield Steve is offline   Reply With Quote