TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Can I keep OTA channels and add program information on TiVo?

BHN SPbg Keep OTA?

BHN went to all digital last summer, so that each program I recorded took 5-6Gb instead of .80-.95G My 1T TiVo would only record about 150 shows.

Eventually, to get back the ability to record more, I pulled my M-Card, and was able to view analog again, just as I can on my older TiVo.
However, that stopped me from recording a few of my favorite PBS shows on what had been 16 or 616, so I would re-insert the M card while I recorded those shows, then revert to the analog transmissions.

About a month ago, I notice many additions to my pier, e.g., 3, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3, 3-4, and 16, 16-1, 16-2, 16-3, 16-4. I started seeing that many of these channels actually showed programs! On the guide, however, they showed as "to be announced" instead of by program name. I started seeing they were the same shows that had previously shown on HD only, never down in the analog numbers.

Finally, I found titan-tv.com where I could find the programs that showed on "broadcast" channels, which I am figuring are OTA (I don't know if this is a correct assumption or not.)

I'm pretty tickled to have all these channels available all the time, and have put in several recordings through record by time and channel. Sadly, they show the time, date and channel, and I can't easily tell what shows they are, nor do they get grouped.

So, I wondered, if I were to do a guided set up as, OTA, would I then get the correct program names on my guide and in my recordings? OR, would all these extra channels be deleted never to be found again?

Do you have a suggestion what I could do to keep the channels and get the program information, or is it necessary to keep reviewing titantv on my computer?

Or, should I just accept the new to me channels and leave well enough alone?

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by megory View Post
BHN SPbg Keep OTA?

BHN went to all digital last summer, so that each program I recorded took 5-6Gb instead of .80-.95G My 1T TiVo would only record about 150 shows.

Eventually, to get back the ability to record more, I pulled my M-Card, and was able to view analog again, just as I can on my older TiVo.
However, that stopped me from recording a few of my favorite PBS shows on what had been 16 or 616, so I would re-insert the M card while I recorded those shows, then revert to the analog transmissions.

About a month ago, I notice many additions to my pier, e.g., 3, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3, 3-4, and 16, 16-1, 16-2, 16-3, 16-4. I started seeing that many of these channels actually showed programs! On the guide, however, they showed as "to be announced" instead of by program name. I started seeing they were the same shows that had previously shown on HD only, never down in the analog numbers.

Finally, I found titan-tv.com where I could find the programs that showed on "broadcast" channels, which I am figuring are OTA (I don't know if this is a correct assumption or not.)

I'm pretty tickled to have all these channels available all the time, and have put in several recordings through record by time and channel. Sadly, they show the time, date and channel, and I can't easily tell what shows they are, nor do they get grouped.

So, I wondered, if I were to do a guided set up as, OTA, would I then get the correct program names on my guide and in my recordings? OR, would all these extra channels be deleted never to be found again?

Do you have a suggestion what I could do to keep the channels and get the program information, or is it necessary to keep reviewing titantv on my computer?

Or, should I just accept the new to me channels and leave well enough alone?

Thanks!
Your post is bit confusing, if you are keeping the cable card and use an antenna, redo the the TiVo set up a select cable card and antenna. TiVo should download the guild data for both the cable and the antenna.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
cannonz

I don't think that you are all digital either as far as I know the only place Brighthouse is all digital is CFL and their just starting to convert now. And sounds like your seeing the clear QAM channels 3-1, 3-2 etc. not OTA the QAM's will never have guide info and like Johncv said to get OTA you would have to tell tivo you wanted them and or cable and would have guide data for them.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:27 AM   #4
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Interesting responses, thanks.

I certainly need education as to the various programs. It sounds like QAM is the correct term for what I think is happening on my HDTV. If they will never have guide data, then I will be best off leaving everything alone.

Quote:
. . . each program I recorded took 5-6Gb instead of .80-.95G My 1T TiVo would only record about 150 shows !
I have a Terrabyte+ HD TiVo and most of my recordings disappeared, leaving me constantly running out of space.

I was told that everything had changed to digital in South Pinellas. When we got a TV for the bedroom, we wanted to both transfer shows from the big HDTiVo to the older TiVo that is just a regular old Dual Tunder. That required all analog programs and 100% were digital and non-transferable.

But I questioned how that could be, since the Dual Tuner only recording in analog. Seemed to me that if one television received analog, the other one would/could also. But, as of last July, it stopped receiving analog. I reckon it was the M-card fault, in that it must have selected/chosen to receive only non-transferable digital shows.

I don't necessarily get the technical process (i.e., QAM /OTA) even after more than a decade with several TiVos. And I haven't a clue why these channels started showing up, but I like it. Does my understanding sound close?

Unless someone can tell me how to get program data for these sudden channels, I guess I'll leave that TiVo as it is.

Thanks so much.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
cannonz

With the cable card every channel is the digital version of it (as you found out when trying to transfer) if the DT is working without a cable box you still have analog. I was doing what you are for quite a while using clear QAM on a 652 (for local subs and PBS 15 out of Daytona) till I watched everything on cable company DVR turned in for card. To save space when using the cable card make sure to use SD (480) one to record not a HD if it has one of it. On their site after clicking on my lineup there is a PDF of the QAM's available if your not getting all you can scan for them.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #6
cannonz

I also noticed in your sig says no TA, they also have a list of SDV channels your missing without it they are free if you want any of those channels.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

This morning, I stopped getting 16-1 16-2 16-3 16-4 (the same as 616 on up). Quite a disappointment as I was able to record Doc Martin, Father . . . , Death in Paradise, etc. without putting in my M card. The recordings were always HD but almost everything else was analogue.

In a panic, I did a guided set-up with antenna and cable, but nothing. Then I redid it, nothing. NO 16-s but I do get 3-1 3-2 etc.

Is there a known way to get these QAM channels? Is there something that happened last night to the 16-s? Is there a trick?

I don't know where they came from. All I did in the past was remove the M card so I could record all in analogue.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:26 AM   #8
shwru980r

Quote:
This morning, I stopped getting 16-1 16-2 16-3 16-4 (the same as 616 on up). Quite a disappointment as I was able to record Doc Martin, Father . . . , Death in Paradise, etc. without putting in my M card. The recordings were always HD but almost everything else was analogue.

In a panic, I did a guided set-up with antenna and cable, but nothing. Then I redid it, nothing. NO 16-s but I do get 3-1 3-2 etc.

Is there a known way to get these QAM channels? Is there something that happened last night to the 16-s? Is there a trick?

I don't know where they came from. All I did in the past was remove the M card so I could record all in analogue.
The cable company doesn't guarantee the availability of the unencrypted QAM channels. The trend is for cable companies to remove any uencrypted channells. They want you to use a cable box or a cable card.
Humax DRT800-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Toshiba SD-H400-Basic-Cable
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
moedaman

Keep your cable card installed and if 150hrs isn't enough for you, transfer programs to your pc via kmttg for long-term storage.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:32 AM   #10
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Channels back (16-1 etc) BHN problem

I was thrilled when, after I did channel scans etc., the channels came back. Then I discovered it was a BHN problem, not something with my TiVo or TV. LOL. Also discovered there's a FB page where there were many who also had had that problem. Can't find it though!

All is well and I'm content being able to get all my UK shows.

Thanks everyone, for all your input!
Old Today, 07:03 AM   #11
poppagene

You could just put a 2TB drive in your tivo HD if you really need more recording space
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote