TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Tuner fails then comes back

(Moved from another thread that no longer seems appropriate)

For the past few (couple?) weeks, my Premiere was having trouble getting channels, seemingly at random. It would try to record, but there would just be a blank screen and when the "recording" was done there would be nothing in Now Playing. At the same time, I also started having problems with extremely intermittent pixelization, drop-pouts, stutters, etc. Not constantly, but maybe a few little glitches each show.

Yesterday I got a Roamio, and since then it's been a nightmare. Frequent "Searching for channel" errors, frequent "Unauthorized" errors, frequent "Cannot get a signal" errors. If I jump from tuner to tuner, I can eventually get a channel to show up, and once I even managed to get all six tuners where I wanted them. But when I change channels, often I end up with an error again, and the problem sometimes cascades. Early in the Roamio process, they had me go to Comcast and swap out my CableCard, so now I have a new TiVo, and new CableCard, but similar problems (not identical; with the Premiere there was never an error message). At one point I was thinking I only had a certain number of functioning tuners, but that's apparently not the case since I did have six working at one point.

Any ideas?
Old 12-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

On further experimentation...I checked the System Info screen, and the tuner that was getting the errors had no signal at all (the others were between 87% and 99%). After jumping around some more, I got all six tuners up and running, and they all showed signals in that same range. So it looks like from time to time when I change channels, a tuner loses its signal altogether (and sometimes two tuners), but it can be recovered although I'm not sure exactly how I do it (just thrashing, to use an old gaming term).

Does this seem like a problem with the signal, the card, or the TiVo?
Old 12-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
series5orpremier

This happened to me one week ago tonight on my Premier XL, which I only use OTA. I also have a Roamio Basic. Grimm didn't record because the screen was black/no signal. I checked the cabling/VHF-UHF combiner/antennas before discovering one tuner was dead and one worked fine. Thought I'd have to junk my XL and get another Roamio, or live with it crippled, but a restart brought the tuner back to life.

I remember I was watching/recording on CBS and right before Grimm started I got the message 'do you want to change the channel on the other tuner to start recording the scheduled recording?'. I don't remember if I said yes or let it change the channel itself, but it ended up on the Grimm channel with a dead tuner. Now that someone else has reported something similar it makes me wonder if it's a rare glitch with the new software update.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Looks like the problem was that the CableCard had old firmware that didn't support six tuners. I found a list of good firmwares on TiVo's web site, saw mine was older, and called Comcast. After a couple of useless conversations (they didn't seem to understand the concept of updating firmware, and instead simply sent the authorization signal again), I called TiVo. They told me they thought I might be on the right track, and gave me a better number to call at Comcast. The guy there took my information and said he'd escalate the request for a firmware update. A couple of hours later, the new firmware showed up in my diagnostics screen, and since then I haven't lost any tuners.

It's weird that the old firmware sometimes handled six tuners, and sometimes didn't, with no pattern that I could discern. But apparently not having up-to-date firmware doesn't kill the extra tuners; it just makes them flaky.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
pshivers
Retired!

Hey Rob,

The issue you ran into is quite old, and a BIG PIA for many of us Roamio 6 tuner owners over the last year or two...

If you are interested in reading the frustrating experience see the following thread here in the Tivo Community, be forewarned it is 39 pages long!

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507973

Glad you were able to get it fixed rather quickly!
Charter CableCard Firmware Updated to PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 All 6 tuners are now Active and Working!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote